TV stand is too small

Options

Comments

• Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    msg wrote: »

Curious - about the floorstander on its side for a center - do you not find the arrangement of the drivers to skew the presentation at all? Especially with the tweeter off to one side? Just asking; I've never heard a setup like this.

Of course it's going to be skewed, there's no possible way it wouldn't be.

Maybe he sits off center just so, therefore the tweeter is right in front of him but he is not in the center of the side speakers....

Maybe it is us that are skewed, and he is the NEW NORMAL...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Big Boy's head is skewed by having two eye brow whiskers on one side and one on the other. No wonder he is mean.

Easy fix.

irbzrh0fggjb.jpg

Great configuration for mono, to boot.

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,076
    Options
    Emlyn, BigBoy grows multiple eye brow whiskers on that side and then each falls out.

mhardy6647, I like that eye.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    Options

mhardy6647, I like that eye.

Blame my son ;)

Here's the stereo morph.

28345264412_5a18fb2199_b.jpg045 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • WVHillbilly
    Options
    When listening to a home theater, not every seat is directly in front of the tweeter as some of you are advocating. some people have to sit to the side of the screen. If your speakers have a wide dispersion, this works.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    There is this thing called "off axis response" that is used when designing speakers.

But it's your world, son.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's WVHillbilly's money, I am interested on how he likes it once set up.

For me personally I would have built a new TV stand. Then again I love woodworking, I'll take any reason to build something.

HMM, now I might be onto something here. what if I purchased an S55 and swapped out all the speakers and crossover with a CSI5? Or any of Polk's 6.5" center?
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • ZLTFUL
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The enclosure is part of the total package. The CSi5 crossover and drivers were chosen and designed to work in a specific enclosure with a specific design layout.
    The crossover points, decay, imaging, etc all take the enclosure into account.

But I totally agree with the "It's your money, do whatever you want with it" sentiment.
    I am just throwing out technical considerations.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    awe man there went that idea. My money is tight so I wont waste any more thought on it. I will just wait if/till Polk comes out with a big signature center. It was a good thought for a few seconds.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • WVHillbilly
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »

For me personally I would have built a new TV stand. Then again I love woodworking, I'll take any reason to build something.

HMM, now I might be onto something here. what if I purchased an S55 and swapped out all the speakers and crossover with a CSI5? Or any of Polk's 6.5" center?

I have been running my sound system like this for years.
    It works very well--it's just new to you guys.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,574
    edited March 2017
    Options
    In my case I have 6 JBL HLS 610's. The front HLS 610 I sat sideways to fit under the Panny Plasma. It worked but there was always something just a little off. One day I sat on the tweeter side to watch a movie it was more tweeter hot on that side not much but enough. Flipped it over to the other side sat in my usual seat and still when there was a pan across the from three something was still off voices etc. one of our members put up for sale a LS350 center, I was afraid it wouldn't mesh well but it did. I will not go back to the 610 now it is all locked up front everything pans across as it should and doesn't seem "off" .

If the OP like what he hears so be it. It may sound great like mine in the beginning then he may find it don't as well as it should like I did. But who are we to tell him how to listen. As my dad always told me "Son you are always going to learn the hard way" he was right but I still didn't listen.

In my case I didn't think it would make much difference with a 2 way speaker but it did. I will however never get rid of the LS350 center unless the drivers flake out as it just locked everything together.

Heck My SDA2A's are on speaker stands in my bedroom everyone who sees them asks why floor standers on stands. I ask the to lay on my bed where i listen to the TV and music. Soon they realize that when on the floor the bed sucks out most of the good stuff. When on the stands guess what everything is at ear level where i sit up in the bed and it sounds great.
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »

Not new to me at all. I ran 2 Monitor 30s on their sides for centers as well as a Monitor 60...but then that was before I knew any better.

You do you bro.

But you ever stop and think that there is a reason that commercial theaters don't run their centers on their sides? I mean besides the fact that they aren't designed to be run that way (just like your idea here) and the fact that they have room to run them vertically.

But I mean your center channel is only like 80% of the sound from a surround track so why would it matter, right?

• mhardy6647
    Options
    can' say I can recall seeing any Altec Voice of the Theater systems on their sides...

page_5.jpg
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options

No, not new to us at all, most people do it with smaller speakers so that tweeter is still centered somewhat. Using a floorstander on it's side, the tweeter is closer to either the left front, or right, depending which side you lay it on. This over loads either the left front stage or right and throws the balance off.

Most who do use a floorstander as a center use it standing up and for multi channel music, not movies as having a tall speaker in front of the screen just takes away from the experience. lol Laying it on it's side has issues I already stated....plus some more, like dispersion pattern, vibrations. Without anchoring the speaker to the floor, your bass response is also going to be off a bit.

I guess if it works for you roll with it though, we all have different ideas of what good sound entails.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    All you have to do a swap the wires with the top driver and the second one from the bottom and probably move the port then you would be good to go
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • WVHillbilly
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    can' say I can recall seeing any Altec Voice of the Theater systems on their sides...

page_5.jpg

REALLY? DUH
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • ZLTFUL
    Options

page_5.jpg

REALLY? DUH

Congrats on missing the point...yet again.

• WVHillbilly
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

page_5.jpg

REALLY? DUH

Congrats on missing the point...yet again.

I didn't miss the point, the comparison is apples and oranges.

Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Should I.....?

Booger up.......?
  • lightman1
    Options
  • lightman1
    Options
    I've got more......
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^Whaaaat? :|
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options

page_5.jpg

Cool photo @mhardy6647
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Entertaining thread here...
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • WVHillbilly
    WVHillbilly Posts: 94
    edited March 2017
    Options

page_5.jpg

I'd use the Left Rear One for my center on top of my TV Stand, with the TV on top.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4