TV stand is too small

I have a 36" TV stand--I have a non wall mounted 42 inch TV.
The TV has legs on each end so it's too big for the stand.
Right now the TV sits on a 39 inch speaker and looks perfect.
So I ordered an S55 which I'll lay down to use as my center
to my S60's.
It's gonna look awesome.
Denon X1200W
Sony BDP S-590
Mains Signature S60
Center Signature S55
Surrounds Polk RTi-4

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    A person from West Virginia can't figure out how to cut a piece of plywood and attach it to a tv stand?

You should be ashamed.
  • why do i need a piece of plywood?
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Rick88 wrote: »
    to my S60's.

Please tell me you are kidding :o

Just caught that, hoping a typo for the S35
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Another S-60 for cc duties would have been sweet. :)

but lying down
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Another S-60 for cc duties would have been sweet. :)

but lying down

I wouldn't lay it down, but would rather have an identical speaker for cc regardless of orientation.

Just going by WV's statement

• Rick88 wrote: »
    to my S60's.

Please tell me you are kidding :o

I have been using 3 identical speakers for the front soundstage for years. There is nothing wrong with doing this and it sounds great.
    I didn't want to use another S60 because of it's price and size and the S50 is too small--Kinda like the 3 bears story--but the S55 is just right--it has the same size drivers and a heck of a frequency response. I'd bet money it sounds better than a small Signature center speaker set-up.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • BTW--it's lying on a stand at ear level--not on the floor.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited March 2017
    S55 on amazon is $270, S35 is $250. You will have a big center. The only thing I don't like about the Signature series is lack of big center.

Me I would have just built a new stand.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • WVHillbilly
    WVHillbilly Posts: 94
    edited March 2017
    mrloren wrote: »
    S55 on amazon is $270, S35 is $250. You will have a big center. The only thing I don't like about the Signature series is lack of big center.

I would have bought a tower to use as a center regardless.
    Like I said it makes for a better soundstage and looks good too.
    When I finish you need a picture?
    I got my S55 for $227 delivered through Polk-Ebay.

Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    mrloren wrote: »

I would have bought a tower to use as a center regardless.
    Like I said it makes for a better soundstage and looks good too.
    When I finish you need a picture?
    I got my S55 for $227 delivered through Polk-Ebay.

Definitely post one. We like pictures.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• VoodooGTS
    VoodooGTS Posts: 62
    Show us pictures!
  • WVHillbilly
    edited March 2017
    I won't have this set up until this weekend.
    I'll tell you though, the S60 are Great sounding speakers.
    I've been listening to all types of music and it makes
    everything sound great--I sure am glad I bought these.
    Anybody want to buy my Klipsch?
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited March 2017
    You related to anyone by the name of Broose by chance?

Curious - about the floorstander on its side for a center - do you not find the arrangement of the drivers to skew the presentation at all? Especially with the tweeter off to one side? Just asking; I've never heard a setup like this.

I know a guy who was using three 703s for a while in a 3.1, but the center 703 was low stand mounted and oriented vertically like the two main 703s.
    I disabled signatures.
  • WVHillbilly
    edited March 2017
    No relation to anyone by that name.

I only use the center for TV and Movies.
    I turn it off for music and use Dolby Surround in a 4.0 configuration.
    I really do not think music sound very good with the center playing.
    The bass on these S60's can go very deep and sound very good so I'm not going to use my PSW505.

With the center under the TV and with speakers with good dispersion,
    there has never been a problem with where the speakers are in the cabinet--with the cover on, you cannot tell. It's our little secret.
    Think outside the box.

Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • mikeyb128
    I've seen the 3 identical towers used before, but the center towers was upright behind a transparent screen. I could see that working quite well. But a tower on its side with the tweeter not centered just seems weird.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• It might seem weird but it's the sound that counts and it sounds fine.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • txcoastal1
    So the speaker will be lying on its side?

• Yes--with the cover on you cannot tell. what you do know when you hear it is that it sounds good.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    msg wrote: »

Curious - about the floorstander on its side for a center - do you not find the arrangement of the drivers to skew the presentation at all? Especially with the tweeter off to one side? Just asking; I've never heard a setup like this.

Of course it's going to be skewed, there's no possible way it wouldn't be.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    oy4rmbs9d62e.png

Well that didn't take long.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited March 2017
    I can't even get my speakers to play due to my not having an amp.

Nobody on this forum has ever said that speakers will not play on a cheap AVR without a stand alone amp. Ever.

I used THREE PAIRS of 4 ohm speakers on a cheap Yamaha AVR, but I'm conservative with the volume knob, and it worked out fine for me. The risk of damaging something with a cheap amp is real though and when I did finally get a real amplifier the sound was much improved across the spectrum.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    Anybody want to buy my Klipsch?

Klipschorns ?

Sal Palooza
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    F1nut wrote: »
    Of course it's going to be skewed, there's no possible way it wouldn't be.
    That's just the truth right there. Three identical speakers across the front is a great idea. Laying a tower on its side is not.

However, only one guy needs to be happy with it... TEHO.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    I like this thread.

It reminds me of my two cats and their "relationship building" after the younger cat was introduced into the household two years after the older cat arrived.

The older cat is BigBoy. His real name is Teddy BigBoy. Teddy because he can be as sweet as a Teddy Bear. He is a black and white short hair tuxedo cat. He knows the ropes and is afraid of nothing. He likes dogs. He gallops like a horse on the wood floors and can run fast. There is no equal.

I rescued BigBoy from the county animal shelter about six years ago. BigBoy weighed right at 18 pounds. He was not overweight - just big like a Maine Coon. He would not fit into the standard cardboard box that is used to transport an adopted cat from the shelter. I had to go to my car for a large carrier. Back at the ranch, BigBoy ruled the roost trying to get outside to confront any and every cat that intruded upon his territory. I worked for him. He would often outsmart and trick my brother to reach the outdoors when my brother visited. One Sunday afternoon, I was trying to prevent BigBoy from escaping through my front door and it happened. My efforts caused me to fall onto the steps and break my leg.

The younger cat is LittleBoy. His real name is Elvis LittleBoy. Elvis because he is so handsome. He is a black and white long hair fluffy cat. He was the "New Kid in Town" and was quite cocky as a kitten!

LittleBoy was adopted as a small kitten from another location and county shelter. I picked him from three litter mates because he was unique, friendly and active. On the drive home, my thoughts were mixed about how the two cats would behave. I was concerned BigBoy would really plaster the LittleBoy continually. I had thoughts of returning LittleBoy. I thought maybe LittleBoy should occupy my bedroom alone for several days while they became accustomed to each other. When I brought LittleBoy into my house, something said "nuts" to me so I released LittleBoy to a full run of my house.

The "New Kid in Town" had no fears. He only thought of one thing - playing. LittleBoy pounced on the BigBoy from every hiding place and angle. LittleBoy could hide under the couch, furniture, and any other low place. LittleBoy did not understand it would never workout to confront the BigBoy as he did. He did teach the BigBoy new tricks such as opening the levered handled door to the screen porch. BigBoy was patient as time passed. The tables were turned once the LittleBoy became his normal grownup size. It became BigBoy's time to play. The LittleBoy is continually caught off guard.
    From every conceivable place, the LittleBoy is on the short end of the stick. There is no safe place now. Even when LittleBoy is taking care of business in the litter box, BigBoy hides behind things and as LittleBoy exits, the BigBoy pounces.

They have become the best of playmates and friends. There is no telling what may happen.

"The preceding story is not fictional and does not depict any actual person or event."

Harry
    Marietta GA

obg4ckr40jz5.jpg
    j7zk3pu2sclu.jpg
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Big Boy's head is skewed by having two eye brow whiskers on one side and one on the other. No wonder he is mean.