24 Hours with the S60 Speaker

Well it been a whole day with my new S60's.
They sound great with my average, everyday AVR that most people would own.
I haven't put them to the test by playing special disc or demanding music.
I have used them for "everyday" music and movies with TV shows so far.
They are connected with 12 Gauge wire using the supplied jumpers.

The sound has been full, balanced and textured.
The bass is well behaved and powerful and does not overpower the top end.
Piano and drums sound full and natural, as you'd expect from Polk.
Detail of instruments in the mid range and hi end have a lot of
power and texture--adding to the overall enjoyment of this fine speaker.

I'm playing movies and TV with the Audyssey settings.
I'm playing music without them, speakers without any tone controls engaged.
You just have to set the output of your AVR to Synergize with your speakers
and your room.
You should not have to use any tone controls with these fine speakers.

These Polks are replacing a set of Modded Klipsch F-20 speakers.
They spank the Klipsch right down the road.

The Polks are much better.

Denon X1200W
Sony BDP S-590
Mains Signature S60
Center Signature S55
Surrounds Polk RTi-4

Comments

• tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,046
    Nice review. Succinct. You strove to be accurate & let everyone know the parameters you used. I like that.

I think that, based on this datapoint, and others I've seen elsewhere, Polk has hit a solid triple on this line with their target market.

My opinion.
    Discuss & slam as you may see fit :-)
  • I actually missed the Most Important Part of the review--THE WAF !!!
    Do you know how The Wife Looked at me when I told her I ordered New Speakers?
    YES--I got The Stink Eye--Of course I told her to Relax, everything will be just fine.

We got the first speaker on Friday and unpacked it.
    She thought it was sexy--like me.
    The color and finish along with the curved lines got her attention.
    As it set in the living room over the weekend, she got all worked up and
    was looking forward to getting the other one and hearing these beautiful speakers.
    They are nice and deep with good feet for stability.
    That's very important in a tower.
    Love the magnetic grills.
    It is a very nice looking speaker that Your Wife will love.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Cool glad you like them, good to hear great reviews on these.

I won't get mine till Friday, Having UPS hold them at the hub to avoid damage on the delivery truck.

I hope you'r right about the WAF. My wife was a little pissed I am getting them and @ $800 for the set she did turn a little red. When a Filipino turns red they are pissed.

Well I already pre-sold my RTi8 to a coworker for almost what I paid for them. The sale of two quilt ladders + selling the RTi8 has almost paid for 1/2 of the cost already.

I am leaving work @1 on Friday so I can get some time with them during the day. My son has a bowling tournament on Saturday so there goes that day of play.

I'm still trying to figure out what CD/SACD to play first.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • I picked up mine at the UPS Hub and that box had more damage that the one from the post office. Go figure.

The S60 is a big deep speaker, the box tells you which end to open. Slides right out, ready to use--feet attached. Nice packaging.

Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • mrloren
    I am a warehouse manager. I see UPS and FedEx drivers toss big boxes all over their trucks to get to smaller packages everyday. I don't want the speakers I've been wanting for a long time getting that treatment.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 616
    Still loving my 60s. I have received 11 different speakers, 6 being towers since October and have been really lucky that none have been damaged. Yours will be fine they are packaged well.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
    Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • mrloren
    I picked up my 3 speakers from UPS today and the delivered the 4th. One of the S60 boxes had a big tear in it but the speaker was fine.

I am now digging these S60's the S30 is not that bad of a center either. Now I just need the house to myself so I can rerun Audyssey...
  • Yeah I gotta run mine too. My S55 was delivered by Fedex today and the box was unscathed. Speaker Perfect--my center channel. Sounds great--looks great.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2017
    Rick88 wrote: »
    Yeah I gotta run mine too. My S55 was delivered by Fedex today and the box was unscathed. Speaker Perfect--my center channel. Sounds great--looks great.

Pictures or it didn't happen. I am dying to see this.

Me too.

You said in another thread the speaker would be laid down on top of something. What do you center with the screen? The tweeter? The center of the speaker?

This is going to be interesting....if we ever see a picture.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Just curious, wouldn't abusing a speaker automatically void the warranty ? Seems to me, using a speaker for other than it's intended use would classify as abuse.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    tonyb wrote: »
    Just curious, wouldn't abusing a speaker automatically void the warranty ? Seems to me, using a speaker for other than it's intended use would classify as abuse.

Hey now, we know he's from WV, but a speaker abuser?...come on
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Hey now, we know he's from WV, but a speaker abuser?...come on

Just sayin'....because when the time comes and he calls customer service, one has to wonder. I've already made a mental note....don't buy used speakers from this guy. lol

I usually don't make it a habit of being hard on people who do things outside the box, we all like what we like. However when I see gear getting abused, new gear especially, you just can't stay silent because when that gear fails, you know it will be Polks fault. Enter Ron Whites catch phrase here.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrloren
    For me it's not about the abusing the speaker as much as when the OP had to argue with people who know what they are talking about. It's the OP money and he can do with it as he pleases.

Putting a floor standing speaker on it's side to use as a center is just plain foolish and to then try to argue that it sounds better is even more foolish.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627

Not sure what abuse, or did I miss something.
    I read, the OP was listening to music and movies and TV on them, or is there more to the post?
  • tonyb
    K_M wrote: »

I read, the OP was listening to music and movies and TV on them, or is there more to the post?

Using a speaker for unintended purposes, such as laying it on it's side and putting weight on top of one side by using it as a TV stand.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132

7lw0cjo1rlif.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165

Using a speaker for unintended purposes, such as laying it on it's side and putting weight on top of one side by using it as a TV stand.
    As long as there was no physical damage to the cabinet, I don't think the orientation of the speaker would be considered abuse. You could set them upside-down if you wanted. Come to think of it, somebody probably has...