Shopping for a new AVR, under $500

Probably going with Denon, but undecided between S720, S920, and X1300. "Old" Pioneer has been, and still is, great for a small system, but lacks HDCP 2.2, which I think will allow it to pass HDR. It does 4K, just not HDR. 5.1 speakers are Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800/ProCenter 1000, so power demand isn't too great.

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I think accessories4less has several Pioneer Elite SC models with HDCP 2.2 for under $500 but it's been a bit since I looked.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,309
    accessories4less has quite a few nice AVR's under $500. Here's a Yamaha less than $400 with everything you want.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamtsr7790bl/yamaha-tsr-7790-7.2-x-95-watts-a/v-receiver-same-as-rx-v779/1.html
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    I haven't been in the market for it yet, but have you considered multi room audio?
    AVRs are at least supposed to be coming out with it.

Anyway, there are hundreds of choices. :# You should be able to get something
    with your needs for 300 bones or so on sale. You don't have to go refurb with
    your speakers.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I just looked at Accessories4less, and it appears I misspoke. They have several Pioneer Elite VSX models with HDCP 2.2 for under $500, but their least expensive SC model with HDCP 2.2 is currently about $550.
  • andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    Get a Marantz slimline if you're just looking for the updated HDMI specs w/o a big power draw.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    dromunds wrote: »
    I just looked at Accessories4less, and it appears I misspoke. They have several Pioneer Elite VSX models with HDCP 2.2 for under $500, but their least expensive SC model with HDCP 2.2 is currently about $550.
    I'm actually using a VSX-44 now. Sounds great and if it had the compatibility I'd continue with it. Honestly, I'm using it now with DirecTV and Roku running directly to the TV, and optical out to the AVR. Only thing is I lose on-screen display of volume and that's driving my OCD level up...
  • mdaudioguy
    andrew82 wrote: »
    Get a Marantz slimline if you're just looking for the updated HDMI specs w/o a big power draw.
    Marantz is another possibility, although I'm leaning toward the Denon line at this time. We'll see. Probably going to make up my mind today or tomorrow.
  • mdaudioguy
    edited March 2017
    I've owned Yamaha (still love the AVENTAGE in my real HT), Onkyo, Harman-Kardon, Marantz, and Pioneer... Might as well give Denon a try! :D
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I 2nd the Denon
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • WVHillbilly
    WVHillbilly Posts: 94
    edited March 2017
    Denon over Yamaha or Onkyo.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • mdaudioguy
    After some input from another member, I've learned that the Denon line doesn't have proper on screen display in 4k until you get up to the X3300W model.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Probably going with Denon, but undecided between S720, S920, and X1300. "Old" Pioneer has been, and still is, great for a small system, but lacks HDCP 2.2, which I think will allow it to pass HDR. It does 4K, just not HDR. 5.1 speakers are Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800/ProCenter 1000, so power demand isn't too great.

Every receiver in that price range is going to have some drawbacks, somewhere. Is your TV HDR compliant ? Otherwise it won't matter in the receiver.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    I was looking hard at the 3300 at one point. Nice box.
    A thousand better than 2300.
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    After some input from another member, I've learned that the Denon line doesn't have proper on screen display in 4k until you get up to the X3300W model.

• tonyb
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-vs-201604104279.htm

Good read, gives you more insight to what HDR does.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    Enlightening. I stopped chasing the newest best and got
    a TOTL Denon 4520ci. FIN
    tonyb wrote: »
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-vs-201604104279.htm

Good read, gives you more insight to what HDR does.

• tonyb
    What I found interesting in the article was that HDR max's out the brightness and details in clarity of your TV's settings. For all you old Plasma users, that's the equivalent of putting your Plasma in Torch mode as we used to call it.

If you wanted to, you could do that all on your own, without HDR, right ? They also claim it can look a bit washed out in a bright room, like looking at a cell phone screen in the sun, in their words.

Regardless, for or against the technology, the differences were obvious to me in the screen shots from the article. Funny thing is, my TV is HDR compliant now from firmware upgrades but I have yet to actually use it. I do know that when I watch something on Netflix or YouTube in 4k, it looks amazing. Not sure if their content is HDR compatible though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mdaudioguy
    Got halfway into that article and realized I was glad I don't pay too much attention to minute visual details. I mean, I definitely spot obvious problems, I.e. motion blur, uneven backlighting, etc...
  • mdaudioguy
    Anywho... was looking around and stumbled into an open box Pioneer Elite SC-91 for $410. Seemed like a no-brainer, and probably overkill, but it does what I wanted and sounds pretty dang sweeeet!