Center channel to start building a system around?

I am fairly new to the home theater game. Through my research it seems that Polk offers some great speakers at a reasonable price. Now, my question is, where should I start with Polk? I will have to build the system one piece at a time, and I want to start with a center channel. My budget would be $200 or less, and I don't mind buying used. My receiver isn't high end (Pioneer vsx-524) so, not sure if that will effect the suggestions you all offer. So far I have found the cs10, csi A4, and csi5 all used within my budget. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Starting with a center channel to build a system around is the wrong approach. I'd start with the front left and right. Consider your over all goals and be realistic about what you can afford, buy used and your money will go way further. You want to keep the front 3 speakers voice matched, same series, otherwise it may sound a bit funky.

Your limiting factor as of right now is the receiver, it has limited power which will determine your choices in speakers available to use with it. If the receiver is to stay, then your choices are the RTIA5 speakers on down. Anything higher in the Polk line up would require a more robust receiver or separate amplification.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    I agree that you should start with the left and right front speakers. Also the speakers should be the first purchase and then you should get something that can drive them properly. In your case you already have the receiver so.......
  • jimmylee123
    jimmylee123 Posts: 105
    If you DO start with a center channel first, like you're wanting to do. I don't think you'd be sad if you got the CSi5.