Speaking of loudspeaker drivers -- here's a good way to spend some time on a snowy day

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
edited March 2017 in Speakers
Well-known hifi forum raconteur Tom Brennan* provided this link in response to a query about speaker driver diaphragm material choices on (ahem) another hifi audio forum.

This is a little (well -- medium-sized) white paper on the topic of loudspeaker design (relating mostly to driver characteristics and choices) by no less of a luminary than Lynn Olson (a fellow with some demonstrated facility in the discipline). It's interesting, I'd opine. It combines well-known "truths" with "gee, I didn't know that" insights (for me, at any rate). You :) might find it a nice "one stop shopping" primer on the topic.

I enjoyed it, at any rate.
http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/speaker-design2.html

All y'all stay warm & safe today!

olson_horizontal_portrait.jpg
Portrait of Mr. Olson from Positive Feedback magazine, 2005.

* 'twas Tom who introduced, at least to me, terms like "chinless direct radiator", "'little girl with guitar' music", and likened the acoustic intransigence of the Klipsch LaScala to the Sawzall.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2017
    PS -- he even name-checks (in an almost neutral way) the Peerless 1" silk dome tweeters much beloved by some of us Luddites.
    These tweeters, using silk domes with damping compounds, came into common use in the early Seventies with the introduction of the Peerless 1" soft-dome (remember the tweeters of the original Polk speakers?), followed by the superior Audax 1" tweeter, which found its way into many British and American designs during the 1970’s and early 1980’s...
    (emphasis added)