Polk RTA 12 B Overhaul

2»

Comments

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Michael8it wrote: »
    I think I'm running into the same issue. I am going to go with what the schematic shows and ignore the wire colors I see.

When you took everything apart did you mark all of the wires clearly? If you did try and figure out what the people putting it together meant to do.

Unless someone was messing with the internals of both of our speakers there might be a reason for it. Even a new guy wouldn't just splice a black wire to a white wire.

• Michael8it
    Michael8it Posts: 192
    I have the schematic and it is pretty straightforward. There is one wire coming off the crossover that mounts to the binding posts that seems like it is reversed... and of course... it's the one I DONT have a picture of LOL.
    Carver C-1, M-500 MKII, Yamaha HTR-5835, Polk RTA 12BM's (M-for mod'd).
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    If I remember correctly the RTA 12b is one of the few, if not the only crossover that does not follow the "black is positive" to the tweeter. My 12's sounded like they were not right, so I checked the schematic, consulted with westmassguy and switched the wires. It made a HUGE difference in the high end. Check this schematic and correct me if I am wrong.

83y15n4pugms.pdf
  • Faustin
  • Michael8it
    I knew about the tweeter. The x-Over mounted inside with the binding posts (LFM) seems to have the wires reversed from what the schematic shows. That's what I'm trying to resolve. The schematic shows the black positive wire going through the 0.61mh coil, then to the side where the two 27 uf Caps are connected, then on to the driver. But on my crossover I have the black wire coming off where the schematic shows the white wire should be. That does not make sense.
  • Faustin
    I can check mine when I have some time to pull things apart, but I would not be surprised if they where wired wrong from the factory or someone fiddled with them . I think if it was me, I would go with the schematic.
  • Michael8it
    I ignored the wire colors and wired everything based on the schematic, and reversed the tweeter (per the schematic).

3iqy61nb0odw.jpg
    48200sr82ai5.jpg
    d6d1507rs5nb.jpg
  • Michael8it
    Last but not least... Up and running! Now I'll need to burn them in for a while but even with my half dead Mackey amp they sound fantastic. Now to rebuild the Carver M500... I wait a bit LOL.

63hk3ecsvs4c.jpg
    ipmgan3macob.jpg
  • Faustin
    Very cool. Did you put the dacron fill back in?
  • Michael8it
    Faustin wrote: »
    Very cool. Did you put the dacron fill back in?

I used new poly fill. The originals had a foam wedge... Yikes. I think I stuffed them a bit too much though. May take some out and see how it sounds.
  • Michael8it
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I'd be worried that the left speaker could be damaged, it looks like it it's ready to fall off a cliff.

It's got a smidgen of room... plus I added a piece of 3/4" to the bottom of the cabinet, and moved the crossover to the bottom as well. I don't think I will leave them here though. I'm a bit concerned about the heat that stove puts off in winter...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Michael8it wrote: »
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I'd be worried that the left speaker could be damaged, it looks like it it's ready to fall off a cliff.
    I'm a bit concerned about the heat that stove puts off in winter...

I agree it will wreck havoc with them
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Not to mention the stove is an acoustic disaster placed between and ahead of the speakers.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited August 2017
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9 wrote: »
    Nice woodwork.

I assume you are mounting the tweeter exactly the same as stock since these are a "real time array" speaker? Also I wonder about the fact that tweeters now have a bezel around them with a lip, might affect dispersion.

If the dispersion and tweeter characteristics are altered they will no longer be time aligned and that could hurt the awesome performance of these speakers.

H9

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but got here somehow....

I mean for sure, his work looks great, but my first thought also. Lot of diffraction from back mounting a tweeter that was not meant to be.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    I seriously must have checked out for a few, I missed this.

Those look incredible!!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2022
    He said he took great care to place them exactly where and how they were before.

I have a pair and I think his tweeters look positioned just like mine are. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    edited January 2022
    afyc9b6wxdct.jpg
    e0vg2zo7pcym.jpg
    Tony M wrote: »
    He said he took great care to place them exactly where and how they were before.

I have a pair and I think his tweeters look positioned just like mine are. :)

The positioning is fine, but they are mounted Behind the wood, creating diffraction where the tweeter output hits the edge of the wood.

Not the end of the world, but not sure why not front mounted was all.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2022
    Well...I see your point, but the SL2000's plastic flange center opening rim looks to be very close in thickness to his wooden one.

I just looked at mine and my Peerless tweeters are very flat across the flange. No plastic flange.

There's a thread about replacing the domes of Sl2000 with China made ones. One member, @xschop chamfered the plastic bezel opening where it meets the dome. I believe he said it was well worth doing too.

I replaced a bunch of domes also. I tried using caulking to create a beveled lip. My ears are old so I doubt I could tell a difference, but I know the idea behind diffractions.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/168239/a-real-sl-2000-hack-replace-stock-burnt-voice-coils-with-silk-diaphragm-dome/p1
    xschop wrote: »
    This mod is for TonyM. Fair warning, use a 45° max chamfering tool and don't go wider than 1.325" Total ID and ALL domes including the Wuhans will still seal/seat properly.

These are my testing frames/bezels for a few more mods I'll be doing. Heck, the new inset domes have better side clearance than the factory....

kh11zrqv160x.jpg

nkschds6wazz.jpg

7n0rhzzcx41h.jpg

The beginning of the cool dome replacement and a lot of other tweeter improvements by talented machinists. ;)B)
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/168239/a-real-sl-2000-hack-replace-stock-burnt-voice-coils-with-silk-diaphragm-dome/p1
    Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    Hansvelton wrote: »

The positioning is fine, but they are mounted Behind the wood, creating diffraction where the tweeter output hits the edge of the wood.

Not the end of the world, but not sure why not front mounted was all.

The way I see it is that you are no doubt correct but the OP did things that were aesthetically pleasing to him that were not perfect sound wise. Otherwise he would've had the Peerless bezels flush with the wood AND he would've put large bevels or roundovers at the edges like Polk did, to minimize edge diffraction. You can also get a diffraction from the mounting screws and even the gap in the cutout if the bezel isn't a perfectly tight fit.

I think the overall aesthetics are beautiful even if they are compromising sound somewhat.

The OP did lots of things to improve the SQ like updating the crossovers to the later versions which mitigate the combing and lobing effects.

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Michael8it
    I'm surprised at some of the attention this thread got! To answer some of the questions. yes, one of my main goals was aesthetics, but I did not intend to compromise the sound quality. After reading some of the later comments I see some of the things I could have done differently.

I placed the tweeter behind the mount for aesthetics, but was very careful to make sure the alignment stayed the same. Never considered diffraction from the mount (that's a level of design a few dozen steps above me!). At one time I though about taking a router and smoothing the inner edge but I never got around to it. They sounded so much better after the mods, and I didn't have the time to do any changes.

And now... they are up for sale!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    What's next for you?