Original Monitor 4s: Pictures and Questions

Options
kevinko
kevinko Posts: 165
edited March 2017 in Vintage Speakers
This was only two weeks ago...

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176392/a-crying-shame/p1

I still wanted a pair so I did a nationwide Craigslist search and found a pair of original Monitor 4s in Pennsylvania. The seller was willing to ship them to Wisconsin. They arrived last week - boxed and bubble wrapped like it was Christmas morning.

fwma8smmflqv.jpg

Comments

• kevinko
    Options
    The only flaw I have found so far is a creased dome on one of the tweeters. The other tweeter dome looks fine.

mscf4c1ftb4n.jpg
  • kevinko
    Options
    Tweeters are stamped 75140883 but have a "Made in USA" sticker. I thought the 7514 indicated that they were made in Denmark.

9f7w96mjghiz.jpg
  • kevinko
    Options
    Batting is stiff and brittle and will be replaced. It is stuffed in the bottom of the cabinet around the driver. Is this where the batting should be?

f5q8ls0xsu7h.jpg
  • kevinko
    Options
    I read an old thread that suggested that Polk might have used different crossover designs for the Denmark and the USA Peerless. Does anyone know if this is true?

yir7u335mv6d.jpg
  • kevinko
    Options
    My receiver was professionally cleaned last week so the speakers will be tested with a little John Coltrane this evening...
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    My understanding is that the 7514 Peerless were made in Denmark. Who knows, maybe Polk put a made in US sticker on them to indicate that the Polk speaker was American made. In regards to the c/o....... good luck. The early 4's Polks I had a couple of years ago had a c/o that was identical to a Monitor 10 c/o. I rebuilt them and they sounded great, but I was not able to get a "straight " answer from Polk or anyone else as to why they had that c/o.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Oh, In regards to the batting, I had the same foam in mine and replaced it some polyfill I believe that I bought at a fabric store
  • kevinko
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Faustin wrote: »
    maybe Polk put a made in US sticker on them to indicate that the Polk speaker was American made
    I think the stamp might be wrong. But why would the USA shop even have a Denmark stamp?

From this old thread:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/99168/vintage-peerless-clarification

A quote in reference to a 5514:
    geppy1 wrote: »
    Same markings as above But gold back, no flat spot and a dimple in the middle on the back Seems to have been used in 1983

geppy1's image of this tweeter:
    j64xleik0n99.jpg

It looks the same as mine but with a little different dimple.
    sm8rw24emgyo.jpg

You gotta love the Polk mysteries.

• kevinko
    Options
    And now that I hear them for the first time I have stopped caring where they were made.
  • kevinko
    Options
    These 4s sound crisp and smooth at the same time. Little bass but for late night jazz in a tiny apartment they're perfect. And they don't sound like they have a cold like my 5jrs do.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    They're great little speakers for sure. Keep your eye out for a pair of mint Peerless tweeters and a MW6500 or two. I think it's good to have extra drivers on hand, just in case. You might not agree.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Faustin wrote: »
    My understanding is that the 7514 Peerless were made in Denmark. Who knows, maybe Polk put a made in US sticker on them to indicate that the Polk speaker was American made. In regards to the c/o....... good luck. The early 4's Polks I had a couple of years ago had a c/o that was identical to a Monitor 10 c/o. I rebuilt them and they sounded great, but I was not able to get a "straight " answer from Polk or anyone else as to why they had that c/o.

That is strange. Is it possible a previous owner replaced the M4 cups and crossovers from M10's?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • kevinko
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    You might not agree

I do.

I think I'm gonna pick up a pair of the Midwests when they become available in 3-4 weeks (I'm told). Would be nice to have a new and "close-enough" backup pair of those.

I have also read that the 6503s are "close enough" and still available I believe. A pair of those as well and a crossover upgrade = a lot of money. But you'd have "New" Original 4s if and when the tweeters or drivers failed.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,698
    Options
    Are you going to swap the guts into the 5jr's?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • kevinko
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I discussed the whole idea with the guy who cleaned my receiver. He builds speakers and knows his stuff. He advised against it.

I would go from two good pairs of Polks, one of which sounds lovely, to a 5jr that might never sound quite right and a bunch of parts (Sl1000s, empty Monitor 4 cabinets) no one would want.
    Post edited by kevinko on
  • kevinko
    Options
    A pair of Peerless tweeters is up on eBay right now that are stamped 5514s with a "Made in USA" sticker on the magnet. They look identical to my 7514s.

6km75mvaxq4y.jpg

Maybe the parts for mine were made in USA but assembled in Denmark.
  • kevinko
    Options
    Yep2 wrote: »
    If you run across a vintage Onkyo Integra integrated, they are a very nice pairing...
    Onkyo being a hair bright, & the M4's non fatiguing, laid back (mine are).

Mine too. Laid back and flat smooth. Clean and clear. I was really impressed. Paired with Marantz 2216B.