Bought a pair of SDA 2.3TL's today

Options
They are in mint condition with the 2 'donut' drivers and with upgraded 198 tweeters (I personally like the SL2000's better - more airy). Got them in original boxes for $825, but will have to drive 8 hours 1 way to get them. Hope it will be worth it.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    shut the front door! Take your time w/ the tweeter eval. Give yourself a couple of weeks. What are you driving them with?
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Those would be the 2.3's not the 2.3tl's.Nice price and enjoy!
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Also the tweeter upgrade for those is the RDO 194 not the 198.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    I saw those....as dkfreebird noted they are 2.3's with RD0194-1 tweeters.

That's not airy, that's an unnatural 5dB spike around 12-13kHz.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• OldSchoolPolk
    Options
    Are the donut drivers a version 4 or earlier? Do they add anything to the mix?
    HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Are the donut drivers a version 4 or earlier? Do they add anything to the mix?

Yes they do. AFAIK they are just heavy mass loaded drivers they should be active not passive radiator like.

Sorry I'm not sure what your question about "version4" is about.
  • pavlograd
    pavlograd Posts: 25
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Guys, I apologize. I was excited and tired when I posted that message. Yes, they are only 2.3's, and yes, those replaced tweeters would have to be 194's. I'm basing my tweeter evaluation on a pair of 1C's I have fully modded with Sonicaps and resistors and Erse inductors, deadening, hurricane nuts, new seal tape, etc. I just find the SL2000's more detailed and 'airy'. I've swapped the 4 SL2000's back and for with the 194's to test them. I'm driving them with a Yamaha A-S801SL with input from Raspberry Pi with Hiberry DAC Pro and Volumio. I'll see if they sound better on the 2.3's. Is the price I paid good or just ok?
  • F1nut
    Options
    That's not a bad price especially when you consider having the original boxes because they are extremely rare. I still have the original boxes for 2 pair of my SDA's along with the original boxes for some other speakers. It adds to the value and makes shipping a whole lot easier.

Just spitting here, but maybe you've lost some hearing in the upper regions because most feel listening to SL2000's isn't much different than shoving ice picks in their ears.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Agreed with Jesse on the older SL tweets.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pavlograd
    Options
    It might be possible that I have some hearing loss. I probably need to get it checked. I'll be 68 in September, but otherwise in very good health. Do the 194's have to 'break in'? I'm also breaking in the Sonicaps on the 1C's and they only have about 20-25 hours do far. I'm going to use an epoxy putty product called Apoxie to shove in the crevasse between basket and magnet.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    ...most feel listening to SL2000's isn't much different than shoving ice picks in their ears.

Officially the funniest thing I've heard today - Incidentally, that's also exactly how I would describe listening to anything by Kanye West.

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    Options
    pavlograd wrote: »
    It might be possible that I have some hearing loss. I probably need to get it checked. I'll be 68 in September, but otherwise in very good health. Do the 194's have to 'break in'? I'm also breaking in the Sonicaps on the 1C's and they only have about 20-25 hours do far. I'm going to use an epoxy putty product called Apoxie to shove in the crevasse between basket and magnet.

Of course the tweeters have to break in, takes about 50 hours. The caps will take 200.

I've found the 1C's to have a thick sound to begin with and also found the RD0194-1 slightly veiled compared to the RD0198-1. I did not care for the sound of 1C's with 194 tweeters. Therefore, I can almost understand your preference for the SL2000.

Do not shove anything in the crevasse between basket and magnet. That's not how or where material should be applied to prevent magnet shift.

President of Club Polk

• OldSchoolPolk
    Options
    Congratulations pavlograd!

You sound excited and I bet you're going to love them. I live 10 miles from the seller and was maybe one call behind you. I missed my chance but its great to hear that a fellow Polkie will be getting them.

Still a question on the donuts; why did Polk discontinued their use?

Enjoy!

HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Not to throw more snow on the the pile but I noticed a clear and better,smoother sound out of the RDO-194s when I changed out the sl2000s Silver Domes from my formerly stock '87 2Bs. Personally I liked the original Peerless I had in my '78 Monitor 7s.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • pavlograd
    Options
    Is there a link out there that explains in detail how to fix the magnet to basket issue?
  • pavlograd
    Options
    OldSchoolPolk - Wow! That is something! I'm having to promise to take my wife to Biltmore in order to convince her to ride with me! I didn't tell her that I really want to see it too! Then, we'll head down to Atlanta to visit my mother, and then couple days later back to Cincinnati.
  • pavlograd
    Options
    My wife is from Ukraine, therefore my alias - her hometown.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Is there a link out there that explains in detail how to fix the magnet to basket issue?

Do a search for power grab.

President of Club Polk

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,473
    Options
    Here is link to a thread I started when I rebuilt my 2.3TL's.
    Shows lots of photos that may answer some of your questions.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/171502/2-3tl-rebuild-starts-now#latest

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • pavlograd
    Options
    So, how would one know if the magnets on their woofers are aligned properly BEFORE staking them down with power grab? And why is a bead of power grab in the magnet to basket frame ok, but 4 pieces of epoxy putty placed up in there is not advised?
  • F1nut
    Options
    It doesn't go on the basket frame. It goes around the top and bottom of the magnet structure.

You should able to see if the magnet has shifted by looking directing down. Everything should be centered.

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    Isn't the bottom of the magnet attached to the top of the basket?
  • F1nut
    Options
    The magnet is sandwiched between the two metal plates. The bottom metal plate is attached to the basket, not the magnet.

President of Club Polk

• pavlograd
    Options
    Can 2.3's be converted to 2.3TL's without too much difficulty? Tweeters would need changing I know, but could the crossover be replaced with one from 2.3TL?
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    So, how would one know if the magnets on their woofers are aligned properly BEFORE staking them down with power grab? And why is a bead of power grab in the magnet to basket frame ok, but 4 pieces of epoxy putty placed up in there is not advised?

Here's a picture showing two things, (1) where to put the bead between the magnet and pole piece (do the same between the magnet and the basket on the other magnet edge), and (2) how power grab fails after an impact (use a 2-part epoxy which won't).

2JBrrul.jpg
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    There's a dozen variations of Power Grab, some do require a porous surface.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/170827/loctite-henkel-power-grab-for-speaker-magnets/p1

I applied the recommended PowerGrab to the drivers of my SRS 2 pin/blade speakers, but I never had a good feeling about it. Next time, it'll be real, live epoxy.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Can 2.3's be converted to 2.3TL's without too much difficulty? Tweeters would need changing I know, but could the crossover be replaced with one from 2.3TL?

It is so involved you'd be crazy to attempt it. It would also require you to make the right speaker your left and vice versa.

President of Club Polk

• pavlograd
    Options
    [quote=It is so involved you'd be crazy to attempt it. It would also require you to make the right speaker your left and vice versa. [/quote]

Thanks F1. I just had to ask just in case.

• F1nut
    Options
    I don't know, you could be crazy. ;)

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    lawdogg wrote: »

Here's a picture showing two things, (1) where to put the bead between the magnet and pole piece (do the same between the magnet and the basket on the other magnet edge), and (2) how power grab fails after an impact (use a 2-part epoxy which won't).

As with any glue/adhesive, using the correct product, and installation technique is critical. The original 6oz tube, Clear Power Grab, All Purpose Construction Adhesive, which I discovered, must be applied correctly.
    You apply a bead to the grove where the front plate AND back plate sandwich the ceramic magnet. You must also smooth-out the beads with your fingertip, which is critical, as this forces the glue into gap.
    At this point, I've done at least 75 woofers for myself, local customers and shipped cross country.
    I've never had one fail.

80mg4c02j1un.jpg
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/