SACD & Marantz?

Have a Marantz SR 5011 AVR & Oppo UDP 203. Trying to play a SACD. Appears Oppo is reading disc. Can Marantz play that signal?
AVR: Marantz SR 5011
L/ R: Polk Audio 703 LSiM (Bi Amp'd)
C: Polk Audio 255c - LS
R: Def Tech
Sub: PSW 505 (12 inch)
DVD: Oppo UDP 203
TV: 2016 Sony XBR 75X850D

Comments

• nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,534
    Yep, just make sure the Oppo is connected to the SR5011 via HDMI and select the right input.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.

Bedroom: Mac Mini, XBox One 500Gb+2TB External, Control Marantz SR6008 powering the top halves of the towers, Dumb amp Harman Kardon HK3490 powering the lower halves of the towers, RTiA7 passively bi-amped, Alpine CDA-9886 car deck for radio purposes, Schiit Asgard 2, Sony MDR-1R.

Keiko wrote: »
    That's offensive and not audio related. I'm telling! :#
  • UpstatemaxUpstatemax Posts: 1,974
    edited March 12
    Just make sure that the SR5011 will accept DSD over HDMI (it should). Only thing I could easily find for it was that it will accept DSD signals over USB.

Also, make sure you don't have to use a specific HDMI out on the Oppo 203 to output the DSD signal.

I can't remember what one it is on my 103, but only one of the two HDMI outputs will output DSD.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : XBOX One : Roku 3 : Oppo BDP-103 : Pioneer Elite SC-87 : APC H15 : Focal 806V mains : Focal 806V Surrounds : SVS SB2000 : SVS SB12-NSD

2Ch:
    Sonus Faber Venere S : Parasound HCA 1500A : Oppo UDP-205 : Furman Elite 15 DM i : Sony XBR 55X810C Monitor :
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,357
    He could also use the analog outs on the Oppo if he has it set up that way.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
    tonyb wrote: »
    He could also use the analog outs on the Oppo if he has it set up that way.

True...but even my BDP93 and SR5010 thru HDMI worked on the first crack, even better after I told the Oppo to only output SACD in stereo.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.

Bedroom: Mac Mini, XBox One 500Gb+2TB External, Control Marantz SR6008 powering the top halves of the towers, Dumb amp Harman Kardon HK3490 powering the lower halves of the towers, RTiA7 passively bi-amped, Alpine CDA-9886 car deck for radio purposes, Schiit Asgard 2, Sony MDR-1R.

nbrowser wrote: »
    True...but even my BDP93 and SR5010 thru HDMI worked on the first crack, even better after I told the Oppo to only output SACD in stereo.

I guess it would depend on what DAC you would want to use.

Analog outs, Oppo's built in DAC is doing the work. HDMI out can let the Marantz's DAC do the work.

I know you know that, but I'm not sure the OP does...

Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : XBOX One : Roku 3 : Oppo BDP-103 : Pioneer Elite SC-87 : APC H15 : Focal 806V mains : Focal 806V Surrounds : SVS SB2000 : SVS SB12-NSD

2Ch:
    Sonus Faber Venere S : Parasound HCA 1500A : Oppo UDP-205 : Furman Elite 15 DM i : Sony XBR 55X810C Monitor :
    Upstatemax wrote: »

I guess it would depend on what DAC you would want to use.

Analog outs, Oppo's built in DAC is doing the work. HDMI out can let the Marantz's DAC do the work.

I know you know that, but I'm not sure the OP does...

Very true, that said though I prefer letting the Marantz do the decoding over the 93, sounds a bit better to my ears at least.

Very true, that said though I prefer letting the Marantz do the decoding over the 93, sounds a bit better to my ears at least.

It depends on what system my Oppo 103 is residing in.

If it's in the HT, I prefer the SC-87's DAC. I just let the Oppo act as a transport and media server.

In my 2ch, I like the Oppo's DAC over the P5's. However, I HAVE to let the Oppo do the decoding for SACD in my 2ch system. Either way, I still prefer the Oppo's DAC for all playback over the P5's.
    Living room:

2Ch:
    Sounds more and more like a case of "read the manual". Most likely a set up issue in the players settings.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    edited March 14
    Forget both those players Kingkwas, I'd wait for the new Oppo UDP-205 & get it sent to Dan Wright (Modwright) for truth mods. He is planning on offering his usual two-chassis tube mod with truth umbilical & said it will be his best mod ever. He is also offering a lesser cost single chassis solid state mod which will also be very good. I plan to go for the single chassis mods with the Bybee Music Rail upgrade. On top of that I plan on adding Telos Quantum stickers in strategic locations ;).
    David

Front End: Vitus SCD-025 Mk2, Oppo BPD-103AU Amplification: Vitus SIA-025 Speakers: Magico S5 Mk2 Isolation: Taoc ASR series racks, Taoc SCB-RS-HC50G, Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Bases/Mini's/LPI's AC Power: Furutech GTX-D(G), Gigawatt PC-3 SE Evo, Jorma Prime pc's (re-terminated with cryo'd Oyaide M1/F1’s), Jorma Unity pc (re-terminated with Oyaide P-004/C-004’s) Cables: Jorma Prime xlr's + Statement sc's, Siltech Classic Anniversary rca's + HDMI Tweaks: Acoustic Revive RR-777 + KR Mk2/RD-3/RIO-5II/RCI-3H, Akiko E-tuning Gold MkII

"If music be the food of love, play on.." - William Shakespeare
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 37,671
    edited March 14
    He has the Oppo UDP-203 already, the Marantz is his AVR.

Edit: corrected.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,911
    F1nut wrote: »
    He has the Oppo UDP-205 already, the Marantz is his AVR........hello!

The 205 isn't out yet. Hello! :p
    | Front - Dynaudio Emit M20 | Center - N/A | Rear - Polk Monitor 4 | Sub - N/A |
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |
    | TV - LG 60" 4K | Gaming - Xbox One - PS3 - New 3DS XL - Nvidia Shield TV |

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion
    edited March 14
    He has the Oppo UDP-205 already, the Marantz is his AVR........hello!

Read the Op again....UDP-203 is mentioned...HELLO! :)

• lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,331
    Howdy!

Friendly bunch 'round these parts.
    edited March 14
    LOL......203, 205 what's the difference, it's an Oppo.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

I'm thinkin someone around here is a blind old guy...and I'm fairly well stocked up on vowels :smiley:

I'm thinkin someone around here is a blind old guy...

Woohoo !! I'm off the list. Jessie took my spot.....woooohooo !!!

legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
    Not so fast there Tony, there's no i in my name.

• voltzvoltz Posts: 4,515
    ^^^^
    Just ask Carly Simon
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • KingkwasKingkwas Posts: 32
    Thanks everyone for the input. I talked to some Oppo support folks. Played some with the settings but honestly didn't do anything. Put everything back to the way I found it. It just randomly starting working.

I know my setup isn't true audiophile yet (Polk LSiM 703 bookshelf, Marantz AVR (BiAmp'd & Oppo player) but can not tell much (if any) difference between a CD & SACD. Maybe some but its not revolutionary.

Thoughts?
  • rpf65rpf65 Posts: 1,349
    What cables are you using?
    rpf65 wrote: »

All HDMI
    Don't expect mind blowing differences. It's all in the details.

I've typically found less smearing of the soundstage, better overall dynamics and greater detail with SACD.

A lot of it can depend on what SACD you're listening to, not all are created equal...

Living room:

2Ch:
    Kingkwas wrote: »
    rpf65 wrote: »

All HDMI

I'm that case you are using the DAC in your AVR. Try using RCA cables, which will utilize the DAC in the Oppo.

Update 2.0: Continue to have issues. Been back and forth with Oppo. Connected via HDMI. Will not play SACD. Plays everything else. Randomly on 4th try it started to play SACD. For no reason it just plays sometimes. Will try again tomorrow. Did install a new HDMI cable. Not sure that is it because it can play 4k DVDs fine. Also plays CDs just fine.
    Might also be a change in "Audio Output" settings. Changing to bitstream might have done something. Not sure. Need to test again. What is bitstream?
  • rednedtugentrednedtugent Posts: 10,282
    edited June 19
    = Donald Trump tweets?

not good on Oppo as I was trying to get worked up about the 205...
    though it could be an Marantz issue as well.
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,515
    Update 2.0: Continue to have issues. Been back and forth with Oppo. Connected via HDMI. Will not play SACD. Plays everything else. Randomly on 4th try it started to play SACD. For no reason it just plays sometimes. Will try again tomorrow. Did install a new HDMI cable. Not sure that is it because it can play 4k DVDs fine. Also plays CDs just fine.

This happened with my NAD 758 AVR & my Oppo 103, If the Oppo was set to Auto I could hear the SACD but it was playing as a PCM via HDMI

If I told the to force (not auto select) SACD and I got no sound, because my NAD AVR could not decode DSD.

So I hooked it up via Analog cables as Tony suggested so that the OPPO's DAC decoded the DSD file for me and I had sound that was actually DSD not PCM..
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
    voltz wrote: »

This happened with my NAD 758 AVR & my Oppo 103, If the Oppo was set to Auto I could hear the SACD but it was playing as a PCM via HDMI

If I told the to force (not auto select) SACD and I got no sound, because my NAD AVR could not decode DSD.

So I hooked it up via Analog cables as Tony suggested so that the OPPO's DAC decoded the DSD file for me and I had sound that was actually DSD not PCM..

What is the difference between DSD and PCM?
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,060
    edited June 19
    Clocking rate

Scroll down to pcm- dsd

http://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/dsd-vs-pcm-myth-vs-truth/
  • BlueBirdMusicBlueBirdMusic Registered User Posts: 237
    From Marantz website re HDMI features for SR5011. Notice the "X" beside DSD.

10ur9t43hec5.jpg

From Marantz website and SR5011 manual. Tony and Voltz gave you the answer - use analog cables (RCA L/R) to the AVR from the Oppo.

v06iynaah0b1.jpg