Ypao calibration question/help

Options
Just got my s30 today so I figured I'd run a new calibration. S30 center, s55 towers , t20 surrounds and psw108 sub. So basically I ran the test and like usual it sets the 3 front to large with an 80 crossover. So I change them to small and keep the crossover at 80. My question is if I change them to small should I crank the sub level up a bit? Bc the ypao sets the sub at -8 with the assumption that the fronts are all large...

Comments

• Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Congrats on the new gear! If you can get your hands on a db meter , you'd be able to dial in all channels pretty evenly. You did right setting all speakers to small and crossover to 80,let that sub handle the bottom end. Which Yammy are you running these with?
  • patstock11
    Options
    RX V379.....For now.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    It really doesn't matter if you change the speakers from large to small. If YPAO is doing its job correctly, the sub should still be calibrated correctly. Same as changing the cross over setting. It shouldn't effect the sound level set by YPAO.

There is a firmware update that did address some concerns with YPAO on certain models, so you may want to check that you have the most current version.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    It really all depends on what you hear and what you want to hear. FWIW I have Lsim707's and they are set to small.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    If it set at 80hz setting to large or small makes no difference. Right? I mean both are being cut at 80hz so nothing is going below that to the speaker.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited March 2017
    Options
    No. Large means all audio signals goes to the speakers at that setting.
    Small means the sub starts taking over at whatever cross over setting is chosen.

If large is selected at 80 Hz, the sub will star to put out those freqs around the 80 Hz range, but those set at large will play those same freqs, until they just can't do it any more.

If small is selected at 80 Hz, the sub will star playing those freqs, probably a little higher, and gradually take over all of them. Not at 80, but as the freq gets lower, it plays more of them, until the sub completely takes over. Not. Hard cut off.

For instance afterburnt's 707's would be a good candidate to run at large. They go down somewhere around 30 Hz, providing a high current amp is used. Where as my A5's are better used as small. They start to struggle in the mid 40 Hz range. So small at 60 Hz sounds pretty good to my ears.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Ok got it.Between manufacturers it can get very gray and confusing.
    Thanks
  • patstock11
    Options
    Thank you for help and suggestions. I actually am slightly worried about the people above me in my co-op. Rig sounds amazing
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    ^^ I've used these and auralex sub dudes. They are very effective at eliminating vibrations to the floor, walls, etc.

I used sub dudes in a condo a while ago for the people below me. It really does help.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.