So, h e l l froze over again ☺

Rick88Rick88 Posts: 12,545
edited March 11 in Music & Movies
Just about year after Don Henley announced that after Glenn Frey's death the Eagles would never perform again, it was announced that they, along with Fleetwood Mac will be headlining two weekend Classic Rock concerts this summer. One on the East Coast and one on the West, and I'd LOVE to see the East Coast shows which will be at Citi Field (Let's Go Mets!).

No official word on who will be replacing Glenn (if anyone), but I've read somewhere that Jackson Browne or Bob Seger are possible candidates (with Jackson the obvious best choice)..

Sorry if this has already been posted... B)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/fleetwood-mac-eagles-2017-festival/

f6mwl124bmzu.jpg

Post edited by Rick88 on

Comments

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 15,878
    Thanks for posting this... now my wife knows what to get me for my birthday. :D
  • chumliechumlie Posts: 8,086
    Just another money grab IMO. And it will work. Like I said before anyone get's offended. Just my opinion !!!
  • Rick88Rick88 Posts: 12,545
    chumlie wrote: »
    Just another money grab IMO. And it will work. Like I said before anyone get's offended. Just my opinion !!!

For sure. :)
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,202
    Jackson Brown ? Dude can't sing his own songs anymore let alone Eagles songs. Some guys need to learn when to hang it up.

Money grab ? Obviously.....

Though I wouldn't mind seeing Don Henley again.
  • rednedtugentrednedtugent Posts: 9,865
    "Though I wouldn't mind seeing #moneygrab again."

I'd get Willie Nelson. If you do Country-Rock long enough,
    you look like him anyway.
  • muncybobmuncybob Posts: 1,554
    If tickets prices are anything like the last tour by either group you'll need to re-mortgage the house for decent seats.
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 779
    I also heard that Gilmour and Waters were asked to reunite for a 1 show UK concert.....should be interesting.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 13,889
    gmcman wrote: »
    I also heard that Gilmour and Waters were asked to reunite for a 1 show UK concert.....should be interesting.

Don't they (still) hate each other?
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 779
    edited March 11
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    gmcman wrote: »

Don't they (still) hate each other?

As far as I know there's still animosity.

If they got back together and toured the world it be the concert of the century.
  • Polkie2009Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited March 11
    I hear you gmcman. I always thought if ABBA got back together to do a concert ,it would be in the category of concert of the century. Alas , probably 10 years too late though. They still__ do, after all these years of not being a group, (35 yrs. or so?) have an enormous___ fanbase all over the world.
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,553
    Well ABBA's harmonies are a thing of beauty, then they got a boost from Mama Mia via Meryl Streep!
  • I'm a bit behind the times and just learned a couple of weeks ago that Glenn Frey had passed away. Glenn Frey and Don Henley had their musical lives entwined for close to 50 years! I can understand Henley saying that the Eagles would never perform again, considering the emotions of that moment. I'm sure those guys don't mind getting a paycheck! Most people like getting a paycheck. But I bet they all have their nest eggs brimming over, and if they play or not, their royalty checks still arrive with regularity. I will not ascribe bad motives to Don. I don't know his motives, but loosing a brother is a horrible event to go through.

I had their Farewell tour DVD from about 2000 and they looked real good then. Maybe that would have been a good stopping point for them. But that is their call and their fans that still buy the tickets.

I'm gonna cut Don and the rest of the band some slack. I listened to much of the Eagles recordings on Spotify after I finally got the news and noted all the tracks Glenn Frey had the lead on. Replacing him ain't gonna happen!
    edited March 12
    As Steely Dan (Messrs. Becker & Fagen) put it:
    Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening.

• motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 1,791
    DonnerUndBlitzen, news travels slow to the North Pole I guess.
  • I don't live at the North Pole. But I am somewhat isolated. I'm disabled and housebound. I have progressive health and pain issues to deal with. I only get out a few times each week.

Keeping up with all that is going on in the USA is not that important to me anymore. What is surprising is when I turn on CNN or Fox, and then wait a week and turn the news on again, they are still talking about the same stuff and still beating the same dead horse to death all over again. I mainly watch movies, hockey, or drama shows. Hockey in hi def and in good sound (with all the ambient noises such as the puck clanging of the cross bar or players getting driven into the boards, etc) is a real hoot. Most of the time the TV is off and the music is on. The late Zig Ziglar spoke out against getting the news in the morning and starting the day with "all that stinkin' thinkin'." I eventually do get caught up on most of the stuff.

It was sad to learn that Glenn Frey had passed away. It jogged my memory about the music of the late 1970s. I thought of the Eagles "Hotel California" Lp and Fleetwood Mac "Rumors" LP. I was a huge Eagle's fan back in the 70s. The music of the Eagles still brightens the lives of millions of people. I've been praying for Glenn's family.

But it is true that many do not know when to hang it up. That just means they are not perfect, they are merely human. Plus we fight to stay in the game as long as we can. A couple of years ago I tried to talk one of my friends into retiring. He is in his mid-70s and has been battling cancer and just successfully went through chemo therapy. He is still working! I was wrong and I backed off. It is his life and he loves what he is doing. Noland Ryan was famous for his long career and wanting "To throw as hard as I can as long as I can." "No retreat, no surrender" seems to be the mantra of life. I'm still fighting.
  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 1,791
    edited March 12
    I was refering to your Donner and Blitzen as to the North Pole reference. Nolan Ryan is my sisters neighbor.
  • Donner and Blitzen is German and means "thunder and lightning." Besides its tie to 2 of Santa's reindeer, it also was a Polka by Johann Strauss, Jr. Though this reference is a double entendre, I love the waltzes and polkas of the Strauss family. If I ever need to relax and unwind, that music is at the ready. I have a great 6 CD collection of the Strauss family music with Willi Boskovsky conducting the Wiener Phil (Vienna Philharmonic).

But everyone knows that Santa is not out of touch! Though he resides at North Pole, Santa knows when every child on planet earth is naughty or nice. And on Christmas, not even the combined efforts of USPS, UPS and Fedex can come close to matching his delivery skills.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 15,878
    I was refering to your Donner and Blitzen as to the North Pole reference. Nolan Ryan is my sisters neighbor.

Any chance of grabbing me an autographed baseball?
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,264
    Thanks for posting this... now my wife knows what to get me for my birthday. :D

Just leave the first post of this thread open on ANY screen you can in the house...as long as it takes :)
  • minerminer Posts: 975

As Eagle mssrs put it:

They Stab it with Their Steely Knives, but They Just can't Kill the Beast
    Yes quite. Truth be told, I had considered mentioning that Eagle-esque counterpoint, but demurred. Thanks for completing the circuit!

:)
  • Danny TseDanny Tse Posts: 5,177
    Replace Glenn Frey? Get Vince Gill. He not only can sing, he could play a mean guitar as well.

On the other hand, Gill declined Dire Straits' invitation to join that band.
  • Are there any Eagles tribute bands running around? There are several real good Pink Floyd knock offs. I saw the Beatlemania show back in the late 70s on a Hard Days Night. Maybe an Eagles tribute band could call themselves the Vultures instead of the Ventures (that name is already spoken for, Wipeout!). At this point, a tribute band may pull off the Eagles song catalog much better than what is left of the Eagles.
  • K_MK_M Posts: 781
    Are there any Eagles tribute bands running around? There are several real good Pink Floyd knock offs. I saw the Beatlemania show back in the late 70s on a Hard Days Night. Maybe an Eagles tribute band could call themselves the Vultures instead of the Ventures (that name is already spoken for, Wipeout!). At this point, a tribute band may pull off the Eagles song catalog much better than what is left of the Eagles.

Ive seen some of the Pink Floyd tribute bands on video, but never in real life. Not sure how it would feel seing a tribute band. I get they are musically very close to the real thing.
    Are there any Eagles tribute bands running around? There are several real good Pink Floyd knock offs. I saw the Beatlemania show back in the late 70s on a Hard Days Night. Maybe an Eagles tribute band could call themselves the Vultures instead of the Ventures (that name is already spoken for, Wipeout!). At this point, a tribute band may pull off the Eagles song catalog much better than what is left of the Eagles.

Yes there are Eagles tribute bands.
    http://www.flyingmonkeynh.com/event-detail/eaglemania/2017-06-24/

You can see "Eaglemania" at The Flying Monkey in Plymouth, NH! :)
    The Flying Monkey is actually one of our favorite "local" (OK, it's an hour-and-a-half away) venues up here in the frozen white north.

• The problem with tribute bands for me is being able to listen while not having flash backs to the real thing and comparing how the tribute band sounds to the actual band. I have this problem when I see a show by a 70s or 80s band today. It is hard not to remember them in their glory days. The Boss said that the "Glory days will pass you by."

I usually forego shows by 70s and 80s bands, but sometimes they do pull it off. The Eagles DVD from around 2002 (Australia) was very good. That DVD is a great memorial to one of my all time favorite bands.

I saw a concert of Led Zep from the 2000s on YouTube and it made me want to cry, especially when there are two excellent DVDs of them from the 70s. I could not get those 70s images out of my mind when watching.

But, that is just me.
  • Rick88Rick88 Posts: 12,545
    I realize there are a lot of Eagles haters out there.

I am not one of them, and that Farewell One Tour (especially on Blu-Ray) is one of my absolute favorites. I love the material, performances, video and (especially) the SOUND QUALITY. Reference demo material, IMHO...
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,915
    miner wrote: »

As Eagle mssrs put it:

They Stab it with Their Steely Knives, but They Just can't Kill the Beast

Reminds me that I had to pass on Steely Dan in Vegas next month. I have no money for them to grab.
  • BlueBirdMusicBlueBirdMusic Registered User Posts: 213
    Deacon Frey and Vince Gill with The Eagles.
    tgv7xnkzkdye.jpg

I saw this news yesterday. Look at that Deacon Frey; a young Glenn
    Classic East and West Festivals
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-vince-gill/