SDA troubleshooting (intermittent connectivity issue)

Options
tat
tat Posts: 159
edited March 2017 in Troubleshooting
The SDA CRS have begun acting up with what sounds like a continuity issue: a "staticy" cutting in and out of the stereo driver of the left channel. It took weeks before I 1st heard the issue and though it seems to be getting worse it is still unpredictable and unreproducible. It seems to kick back into normal function right on stronger signal peaks, but is more related to the initiation of a signal than its actual volume relative to the passage. It will go an hour or so working normally tempting me to think my past attempts of switching pre-amp input/output, interconnect connection, or internal connection checks, have solved the issue. But then it returns, ranging from completely losing the left channel signal to crackling partial response. Of note is I swear the issue first appeared in the right channel and was limited to partial signal/crackling (no complete drop-out).

I was hoping it would be a cold solder joint in 1 of the crossovers (hence easy fix). But I wonder what the likelihood this type of intermittent continuity break could originate in a failing component like a cap? Does anyone have any opinions on what this issue is likely in an old original 1984 SDA CRS model? Any recommendations on troubleshooting tests? The Xovers are pretty tightly wired in there so they are tough to get at for a novice like me. But Id love to dive into them if I haf a clue of what to look for. I'm dying to get these things working properly as I love the tone and cant afford to replace them right now. I wanted to upgrade the Xover components but without knowing it will solve this issue I hesitate to invest the time and money. I imagine it would almost have to, they are not that complicated after all. Recommendations? Should I ask someone to upgrade them for me (remover and ship Xovers to them)? Thanks :)
When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws are free...
Post edited by tat on

Comments