Magnifi Mini for $200 from Adorama

Options
Jimbo18
Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    Are they an authorized Polk Dealer, or gray market dealer? Anyone know?
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    They are authorized.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • heiney9
    Options
    I read the warranty section and it stated gray market products are warranted for a year. The site didn't state the manufacturer's warranty.

I have seen a few issues pop up for these and I need to make sure I can get it serviced if there's an issue.

Thanks
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    Dang, that is a killer price. I was tickled to get mine @ $250.00, well worth it.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Adorama is definitely an authorized dealer. Great to work with.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • vmaxer
    Options
    This isn't gray market. Call them or Polk, they are authorized.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • heiney9
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I re read the warranty info and it says covered by the manufacturer's warranty and then goes on to explain gray market, used, etc......It just never states what the manufacturer's warranty is. A little annoying but obviously I can look here to see.

I've seen more than a handful of issues with these, so I am hoping it's user error and not cheap product. I've been on the fence for one of these because of the multiple issues I've seen posted. But since they never seem to report the resolution, I have no idea if it's the product or the user.

H9
  • heiney9
    Options
    Wow, only a 1 year warranty. I expected atleast 2-3 years.

Crossed fingers

H9
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    I have 2 of these, no problems with either one.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Tempting. Though I almost never watch the TV this would get paired with. How out in the open does the Mini module need to be to sound its best? The TV is in a cabinet with doors & the speaker would end up being recessed in the cabinet slightly.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    It would still sound much better than TV speakers.

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Showing as $299 when I use the link.
  • heiney9
    Options
    Must have been limited, I got one this afternoon for $199.
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 914
    Options
    I missed it. Showing $299
  • heiney9
    Options
    I think it will live up to the hype. I need something to supplement the TV speakers, they just have no clarity and it's annoying as hell.

I have a couple locations to place the sub. Anything will be better than the TV speakers.

I've been reading about how much heat the unit produces. Anyone experience that, like a lot of heat and in some instances melting plastic smell.

H9
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I hesitated and lost - ie. missed the sale. Can't decide if I want to downsize that much in my bedroom. I thought I would have more time to vacillate on them.

It's 75% TV/movies and 25% music for me on that system and the M5jr+ sound pretty darn good. But I like the idea of a smaller system in the bedroom.
  • heiney9
    Options
    I'm sure it will come up again on sale. They seem to do that randomly for short periods of time.

My Paypal was charged, but I never received an invoice and now when I go to the site I can't find my order. I am working with CS and they are on top of it. I hope the whole thing doesn't fall through for some odd reason.

H9
  • heiney9
    Options
    It's out for delivery today!! Shipped at 9:47pm from New Jersey on 3-6 and arrives in Illinois at 3:45 am 3-8 and out for delivery.

That's the fastest standard UPS shipping I've ever experienced!

Way to go Adorama

H9
  • vmaxer
    Options
    Good for you, so we will have a review later tonight?? B)
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • heiney9
    Options
    Ha, probably not. But we'll see if I get home in time to set it all up.
  • vmaxer
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Ha, probably not. But we'll see if I get home in time to set it all up.

Any luck?
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • heiney9
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Set up was a breeze. After finding someplace to plug the center (brain) module and the sub in for power, it took literally 2 minutes for us to get full sound after connecting the optical cable. I think I have HDMI ARC and I will try that eventually.

I don't want to comment on the sound yet as this is my first type of product like this. But I will say the clarity and separation of dialog is far better than the TV. A few Netflix shows and a few network shows. The led indicators on the center module are really helpful as well. The remote is comprehensive and easy to use.

So far it's a winner, but I need more time with it.

H9

No wires except a single optical is very cool. I may experiment with sub placement a bit.