2 TB HD reformatted to FAT32?

All of my stuff except for the Oppo says it is limited to 2TB in FAT32 format. They are all USB type A sockets (except the Oppo). All of my HD's are formatted NTFS. Has anyone needed to change the format to FAT32 on a drive in order to play music on a device that requires it, if so were you successful?

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html#what-are-the-specs-of-the-digital-inputs

Media Files

What file systems are supported on external media?

FAT, FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS.

I believe the older 93/95's did not support NTFS
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited March 2017
    93 supports NTFS on my end.

Only problem with FAT32 is single file size is limited to 2Gb so no high res BluRay rips or single file 128 DSD or 192/24 FLAC albums.

Yes, reformatting in FAT32 would fix your issues on those devices that require it.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html#what-are-the-specs-of-the-digital-inputs

Media Files

What file systems are supported on external media?

FAT, FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS.

I believe the older 93/95's did not support NTFS

Ron, the issue is with everything except the Oppo.

@Nightfall, I will try it, I just hope I don't wipe out all of my stuff. I am stoopid like that.
  • Nightfall
    edited March 2017
    Oh, stop. Reformatting to FAT32 would absolutely erase everything on the drive. Back it up first. @afterburnt !!!

Sorry, I figured you knew that.

• txcoastal1
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Oh, stop. Reformatting to FAT32 would absolutely erase everything on the drive. Back it up first. @afterburnt !!!

Sorry, I figured you knew that.

There is way to do it....but yes back it up
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Nightfall
    I hope he reads this thread before he does it. :#

How can you convert without losing data?

• txcoastal1
    You still have to create partitions but you can't create partitions if the drive is full

Once you create the partitions you can format each one at a time and move the files from 1 partition to the other after formatting...PITA

• afterburnt
    I got a backup lol
  • afterburnt
    "nnMaximum Number of Playable Files and Folder
    The limits on the number of folders and files that can be displayed by this unit are as follows.
    Media
    Item USB memory devices
    Memory capacity FAT16 : 2 GB, FAT32 : 2 TB
    Number of folder directory levels z1 8 levels
    Number of folders 500
    Number of files z2 5000
    z1 The limited number includes the root folder.
    z2 The allowable number of files may differ according to the USB memory device capacity and the file"

I may be screwed just the same, I have way more files and folders.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    I have found that the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 as well as all of the Onkyo receivers are limited to a max of 2TB drives, hence the reason I now have the NAS up and running and ain't looking back!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • afterburnt
    I have to get a NAS before I go insane