Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III

Options
halo
halo Posts: 5,616
After unloading my Jolida Fusion preamp in favor of the Parasound Halo P5 I've been wondering if getting a separate DAC or putting tubes in the mix would be a good idea. Looks like I killed two birds with one stone in acquiring the Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III.

Thankfully, I had a pair of NOS GE 12AX7 tubes (1960's) left over from when I had the Fusion pre and I installed them in the FX DAC before firing it up. This Jolida DAC was a dealer demo and it is in excellent shape and it carries the factory warranty with it. Unfortunately, I don't care for the blue illumination under the tubes but it's a small price to pay for the warm, detailed, sound produced by this DAC.

While the MF M1DAC was nice (really nice), the Jolida puts out a different sound quality entirely. I would have liked to pick up an essence HDACC to pit against the Jolida DAC as that HDACC sounded great paired with the Jolida Fusion preamp but I don't know how it would sound with the P5. I also wanted to mention that the built-in DAC on the P5 is no slouch but the Jolida FX DAC gives me that tube magic/sound I was missing.

I am definitely digging the sound from this DAC. I may look into tube rolling but for now it sounds pretty sweet as is.
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Russman and I have used the Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC II for the last few years at LSAF, and it has been a sweet solid performer. No Hi-Res frills, but a great sound.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I've yet to get an ear on one, but I'd take a bit of warmth and musicality over hi-rez any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Congrats man, always nice when new toys play well with it's mates.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • MillerLiteScott
    Options
    I have been using one for the past 4 or so years. I have nothing to compare it to but I have been very pleased with it. The only thing I do not like is the bright blue input selector LED. I put my stylus cleaning solution bottle in front of it to tone it down.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10