RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 863
    Options
    Thanks guys! Any tips on possible surround repair? I really planned on playing some tunes tomorrow and saturday lol.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Options
    I've seen some suggestions here, but never paid attention to what they were. Try the search feature.

Veneer job looks very nice!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gerres26
    Options
    Looks like i may give rubber cement a try and see how that goes.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    I seem to remember the stuff to repair bike tires worked well.
  • Gerres26
    Options
    I seem to remember the stuff to repair bike tires worked well.

Ok, thats the stuff i was thinking of trying. I cant believe i didnt notice the tear before. I've had these things apart for 3 weeks and could of fixed it. Now that i put them back together i cant use them at the moment and its killing me :'(
  • Gerres26
    Options
    I just applied some rubber cement from a bike tube repair kit so we will see how long it holds once it is all dried up.

I've been looking online for a Mw6503 and the people on ebay want around 60 bucks...is this the going rate? Does polk offer a replacement and if so what is their cost? I'm guessing a new replacement will play fine with my older drivers?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Believe Polk does sell the 6503. Dust cap is larger but should be the same driver for all intent and purpose. at 60.00 call Polk and get new for 48.00 plus tax tell them you belong here for a small discount.
  • Gerres26
    Options
    I just looked up a picture of the new version. They are definitely a little different looking then the old ones which sucks. The non matching would kill my ocd lol. So maybe I'll have to hold off for a matching old driver to pop up for sale reasonably priced.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Close you eyes man and listen to the music leave the grills on lol.... I have a one on my speakers from about 4' away it is very hard to tell. The one pitfall is when the magnet shifts in transit and you get hosed by the seller. Been there done that.
    it's all good to each their own.

Mine this site is full of OCD hope its not contagious lol :p
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options
    By all means play them with the tear until you decide what to do. I had the same happen to me on an Eggleston Andra and had to replace eventually.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • Gerres26
    Options
    Lol i hear you...maybe if i hadn't just spent 2 weeks getting these things looking close to new it wouldn't matter as much to me. Decisions, decisions :/
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    stones89 wrote: »
    By all means play them with the tear until you decide what to do. I had the same happen to me on an Eggleston Andra and had to replace eventually.

That doesn't work well with a sealed design. Eggleston's are ported I believe big difference
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    stones89 wrote: »

That doesn't work well with a sealed design. Eggleston's are ported I believe big difference

um, you are correct - good catch. A new level of bummer.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    Lol i hear you...maybe if i hadn't just spent 2 weeks getting these things looking close to new it wouldn't matter as much to me. Decisions, decisions :/

get the bike tube glue and put on the back side if you can. 24hrs your good, many have tried and it has worked for them. paint a little on the front as well but just enough not too much.
  • Gerres26
    Options
    I just gave the driver a shot with 12 hours of cure time on the glue. So far it has held up nicely. Hopefully this will hold me over until i find a replacement or decide to buy new.

But first impressions of the 1.2tl... they sound great. The room i have them in for now is definitely too small for them(13x12) but it is their temporary home until i get the basement finished. Atleast it is a dedicated listening room. I had the 1c's prior to this and these just give me more of everything i loved about them. I was kind of surprised that i feel these sl3000 tweeters are a little smoother than the rdo194s my 1c's had. Is this in line with others observations?

Along with these 1.2tls i have also upgraded all of my ic's and speaker cable along with with my new to me pre/pro b&k reference 30. So I'm looking forward to playing tunes all day tomorrow to really get a feel for everything. I don't plan on a recap right now, although definitely in the future..but we will see how long i can hold out on it ;)

I think next on the list will be some room treatments at the first reflection points. I've never tried this before but i hear that it will make a huge impact on playback.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Buy two new 6503s and replace the same one in each channel's speaker.

Save the "left over" original 6503 for future replacement needs.

This way any difference in appearance caused by the new v. old drivers looks intentional and part of the design -- at least to those who are not intimately familiar with Polk speakers.

In my opinion the RDO 198 tweeters are significantly better sounding than either the RDO 194s or stock tweeters.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    Beautiful work!! Too bad about the surround - I've had luck with black silicon RTV on the back side of slits in rubber surrounds.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    Yeah they sure do look nice!
  • Gerres26
    Options
    Well @mopar paul was nice enough to offer up a replacement driver at a great price so looks like im covered now.

On a side note, i just played Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Still...you turn me on and that song sounded so great on these it gave me chills lol.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Wait until you get them into a proper room. Huge improvement.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Good Lawd those look nice ! Awesome job !!
  • Gerres26
    Options
    Thanks guys! And i agree, once im able to put these in a larger room i expect them to get even better.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Talk about small rooms I have two SDA SRS 2's in a 8 ft x 15 ft room...Office/workshop.
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    I just gave the driver a shot with 12 hours of cure time on the glue. So far it has held up nicely. Hopefully this will hold me over until i find a replacement or decide to buy new.

But first impressions of the 1.2tl... they sound great. The room i have them in for now is definitely too small for them(13x12) but it is their temporary home until i get the basement finished. Atleast it is a dedicated listening room. I had the 1c's prior to this and these just give me more of everything i loved about them. I was kind of surprised that i feel these sl3000 tweeters are a little smoother than the rdo194s my 1c's had. Is this in line with others observations?

Along with these 1.2tls i have also upgraded all of my ic's and speaker cable along with with my new to me pre/pro b&k reference 30. So I'm looking forward to playing tunes all day tomorrow to really get a feel for everything. I don't plan on a recap right now, although definitely in the future..but we will see how long i can hold out on it ;)

I think next on the list will be some room treatments at the first reflection points. I've never tried this before but i hear that it will make a huge impact on playback.