B&K St-202 ? Parasound 1200-II or Parasound-1500A

Options
VSAT88
VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
edited March 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
I have SDA SRS 2's that I need another amp for. Tell me what you think. The Parasound amps are around 500.00 each, The B&K I found for 400.00. I think all of the prices are too high for the age and the fact that I cannot check them out before I buy (Epay, unfortunately) but lets see what you all say. Thanks.

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    Options
    I bought a 1500a from a polkie and it has no issues with my b&w 703s. The price is the going rate like it or not.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    I prefer the B&K amp for $400.00. Thats the going rate I say pay it. It's a great amp and go try and find anything better for that kind of money. Good luck
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    I see, did not know the old Parasound's were going at that price.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    I prefer the B&K amp for $400.00. Thats the going rate I say pay it. It's a great amp and go try and find anything better for that kind of money. Good luck

Can you still get parts for them ? Thought I read that parts were hard to find and some are unobtainable.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I got lucky and came across a Parasound HCA-1500 locally in excellent condition for $275.00. if I were to ever part with it, I wouldn't take less than $500.00.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    mantis wrote: »

Can you still get parts for them ? Thought I read that parts were hard to find and some are unobtainable.

There's nothing proprietary in either brand that any repair shop couldn't fix. That said, I would steer away from Ebay for amps and stick to more audio related sites like here, US Audio Mart, Audiogon, HIFI Shark. You local stereo shops will also sell used and demo gear too, just check online most have a drop down menu for that stuff.

Prices are not too bad though, the B&k is about spot on and the Parasounds, depending on series and model isn't bad. Usually a 1200-1500 series is around 4-500.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    $450 for my 1500a. Would pay it again in a heartbeat.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Where are you at, VSAT? I've got a B&K ST-202+ that you could talk me out of...
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    Options
    I love B&K mosfet amps, but they might be too warm paired with the warmth of vintage Polk. I would go with the Parasound.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    Where are you at, VSAT? I've got a B&K ST-202+ that you could talk me out of...

I am here !! I would much rather buy from you than off ePay. I was kind of hoping someone would step in and sell me one from here.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    Always somebody here willing to help you part with or spend your money.... lol.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    @VSAT88, I would agree with zingo in that the B&K has a warm sound signature that may be too laid back with your SDA's. I would recommend the Parasound here as well. (Sorry @agfrost - not trying to tank your sale man, just giving my opinion. In fact, I'd be happy to take that B&K off your hands ;) as it would mate well the Dyn's)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Both brands are on the warm side of neutral, if the sound is too warm with vintage Polks, just use a brighter speaker cable is all. Personally I find the B&k signature sound a bit more focused and musical, that's just me though.

Either way, your way ahead buying a used amp from a member here than on Fleabay.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VSAT88
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Both brands are on the warm side of neutral, if the sound is too warm with vintage Polks, just use a brighter speaker cable is all. Personally I find the B&k signature sound a bit more focused and musical, that's just me though.

Either way, your way ahead buying a used amp from a member here than on Fleabay.

I do like the Idea of the B&K agfrost offered but I have not heard from him yet and the one I am looking at on Flee Bay is ending..Lordy..
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Oh, BTW. I can get a Adcom GFA 555 for a really good price too, thought I would throw that into the mix (up). Still want to wait and see what agfrost is willing to do. I want to buy from a P.C. member if possible.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options
    agfrost is good people. I'd buy from him and even be willing to pay a bit more knowing its provenance personally.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VSAT88
    Options
    I agree, he has helped me in the past with my many questions here in the past. We will see when he gets back with.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that Adcom others though in the adcoms are not common ground.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    Had a B&K ST-202+. Loved it. To this day it is the best pure solid state amp I've owned. Had it hooked up to some SDA-1Cs and it was a perfect match. AGfrost put me in line for that B&K. Lol!
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    Had a B&K ST-202+. Loved it. To this day it is the best pure solid state amp I've owned. Had it hooked up to some SDA-1Cs and it was a perfect match. AGfrost put me in line for that B&K. Lol!

Well, I am hoping he makes contact with me because time is running out on the B&K ST-202+, I only have 3 1/2 hrs left to buy it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332141697423?_trksid=p2055359.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I am going to PM him again now in case he didn't read the other posts.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited March 2017
    Options
    10-4. Did you get it?

Oh BTW, what are you currently running on your SRS 2s? I have a set also and find them pretty easy to drive. I've had an Adcom GFA 555 before that I ran with my 1Cs. They had plenty of power but I found the tonal balance a little bright for my tastes. I much preferred the B&K and a variety of other amps with them over the Adcom. Ymmv.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Sorry I've been away. It's available--I'll have to plead for a bit of time to pack it correctly if you decide you'd like it.

When i asked where you were, I was curious about where in the U. S. of A. you might be.

I'll work up a couple of fresh photos of it later this evening, and I'd like to hook her up to make sure she's singing--it's been several months since I've had her pumping tunes.

It's the red/blue silkscreen version, black with rack handles. Fairly pristine IIRC, but photos can tell the tale better than I. Does the soft "whump" on power-off that they're known to do, normal behavior for this amp.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    10-4. Did you get it?

Oh BTW, what are you currently running on your SRS 2s? I have a set also and find them pretty easy to drive. I've had an Adcom GFA 555 before that I ran with my 1Cs. They had plenty of power but I found the tonal balance a little bright for my tastes. I much preferred the B&K and a variety of other amps with them over the Adcom. Ymmv.

I decided that if I buy I am going to buy from "folks I know". Us Alabama folks, what can you do with us right ? I have no problem waiting on a fellow PolkiMan, we all got stuff to do you know. I am running a Basic M2 Kenwood with everything Dan Mattis (DRM) could throw in it. It is a great Amp. I want a great American amp. Trading out of a lot of my equipment that is not made in the USA. No problems with overseas manufactures just gotta stop collecting so, so much so the others gotta go.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Sorry I've been away. It's available--I'll have to plead for a bit of time to pack it correctly if you decide you'd like it.

When i asked where you were, I was curious about where in the U. S. of A. you might be.

I'll work up a couple of fresh photos of it later this evening, and I'd like to hook her up to make sure she's singing--it's been several months since I've had her pumping tunes.

It's the red/blue silkscreen version, black with rack handles. Fairly pristine IIRC, but photos can tell the tale better than I. Does the soft "whump" on power-off that they're known to do, normal behavior for this amp.

Oh my, my bad..Alabama, Phenix City Al. Near Ft. Benning Ga. Columbus Ga.
    Do as you will about photos and such but I am really easy to get along with. I like smooth cool transactions. If you tell me its good, then its good. Just get back with me whenever you can and thanks.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited March 2017
    Options

Love this forum, this is how we do!
    If you tell me its good, then its good. Just get back with me whenever you can and thanks.

There's not a long standing member here you can't trust. B) Well, except maybe sketchy Craig.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • VSAT88
    Options
    I know all the guys I have had dealings with were super. They did exactly as they said so I agree wholeheartedly. And by the way Nightfall, lets keep it a secret.
    Nightfall wrote: »

Love this forum, this is how we do!
    If you tell me its good, then its good. Just get back with me whenever you can and thanks.

There's not a long standing member here you can't trust. B) Well, except maybe sketchy Craig.