Auditioning Lsi15s

Options
What should I look for in auditioning them. I've got a line on a pair and need to jump soon.

Is there a 2nd version (maybe made in Chine vs Mexico) and how do you tell the diff? Is one better than the other and are drivers still available like the Monitors from Polk.
HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    The second part of that, I don't believe there are different versions and I do believe Polk still has parts for them.

The first part.....take notice what the guy is driving them with. If he doesn't have them on a separate amp, chances are he's been under powering them for a while. These are 4 0hm speakers, you'll need a separate amp for these yourself. Listen carefully to make sure both tweeters are good, make sure there are no rips in or around the woofers. Look for any signs of abuse. Make sure all the drivers are original, ask if anything has ever been replaced and if so, was it with Polk parts or aftermarket parts.

Bring some of your own music to play on them too, so your ears have some comparisons your familiar with.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Polk no longer has the MW 5534 drivers
  • tonyb
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Polk no longer has the MW 5534 drivers

Didn't know that....is there a listed aftermarket replacement ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    As a FYI I've been told there are no more midrange drivers for any of the LSi series. Maybe they have some of the sub drivers, or you can source the db840 drivers, but the mids are gone.

So for me unless I buy em from someone I know took care of em, or got em at a HUGE STEAL, I'd be paying attention to what they are being driven with, the volume levels at which they were listened, etc.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    Options
    Apparently, Polk has been clearing out inventory of LSI parts. What parts if any they plan on keeping in stock I don't know but as of now it appears....none.

That might scare you away, or not....but I'm pretty sure you can find aftermarket parts. Woofers with rubber surrounds tend to last a long time, tweeters are what most burn up. I believe those tweets are off the shelf parts if I'm not mistaken.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • OldSchoolPolk
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Thats good info to know about the drivers not being available. I think the RR tweeters are Vifa and are available in some form. Hope to hear them tonight and will look / listen for the things you all mentioned.

HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    I believe those tweeters were NOT off the shelf, but were modified to Polk specs. At least that is what a number of folks said here on the forum...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Apparently, Polk has been clearing out inventory of LSI parts. What parts if any they plan on keeping in stock I don't know but as of now it appears....none.

That might scare you away, or not....but I'm pretty sure you can find aftermarket parts. Woofers with rubber surrounds tend to last a long time, tweeters are what most burn up. I believe those tweets are off the shelf parts if I'm not mistaken.

Kinda sad, one of our favorite speakers of all time were the Lsi15. Not the best speaker we own, but the looks, size and sound are hard to beat in something that compact and good looking!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    As a FYI I've been told there are no more midrange drivers for any of the LSi series. Maybe they have some of the sub drivers, or you can source the db840 drivers, but the mids are gone.

So for me unless I buy em from someone I know took care of em, or got em at a HUGE STEAL, I'd be paying attention to what they are being driven with, the volume levels at which they were listened, etc.

Parts Express (among others) have a very similar Peerless 5.25" midwoofer, that looks very similar, and has the exact same dimensions.......Not saying they are the same driver, as many get caught up on details like that, but they are very close in many regards , as with the tweeter.
    It may be a case of a Polk "Designed" woofer that was a variation on an existing driver.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    I loved my 15's. My first eye opening speaker.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A