New Dynaco ST 70 Tube Amp Announced

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,707
edited March 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
Exciting news, an updated version of what is likely the all time best selling tube amp.

http://www.audioxpress.com/article/relaunch-of-legendary-dynaco-st-70-series-3-tube-amplifier-scheduled-for-spring-2017
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    Pretty cool read.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    Cool, wonder how it would mate with my PAS4....the wife would kill me though.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Sweet. Proudly made in North America too.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2017
    dromunds wrote: »

The PR claims that it will be.

I'd ahem rather have a 'new' ST-35, but the ST-70's OK, too :)

Of course, the 'great regular flavor' Dynacos are still available, more or less, as kits from www.dynakitparts.com

PS Thanks, F1nut, for sharing this info; it's news to me (and good to see).

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Good Stuff!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Nothing like the original. New amp design using an old name. Typical electronics marketing ploy is all I see here. Just my opinion, nothing more.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2017
    Other than the output iron, the original was no great shakes (especially the driver section) -- thus the cottage industry that grew up around "improvements" for the ST-70 (and most if not all of the Hafler/Dyna products).

I have opined (and it may be that no one but believes this!) that the stock ST-70 is the kind of tube amp that, when heard, has made folks who "don't like tube amps" not like tube amps.

The Dynacos had lots of potential, but some of that was unrealized. The preamps and the ST-70 (again, I'd opine) were prime examples. The ST-35 and the Mark III and Mark IV, I think, were pretty good out of the box (edit: so to speak!). I am talking about design, not materials per se. Obviously, corners were cut for parts quality to maintain the "value price" of these kits (and they were pretty inexpensive, given their level of performance). Dynaco (David Hafler), like EICO, thankfully did not scrimp on their output transformers -- which makes the original ST-70 a nice platform.

A new ST-70 reboot has the potential to do things "more right", although doing that and putting them together in the US presumably means they won't be "value priced" even by modern standards.

DISCLAIMER: I don't own a Dynaco ST-70 -- I do own an example of the "other" ST-70, another fairly nice piece with some fundamental and well documented design shortcomings -- and a lot of potential.

15468965421_db80b78dd4_b.jpgDSC_0198 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Whoa, sorry to get on that soapbox! I'll stop now :/

Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • mhardy6647
    dromunds wrote: »

Oh, I just realized I misread your post -- for some reason (brain infarct?) I thought it said "probably made in North America, too". My response was thus completely mis-aimed; didn't mean (for once!) to be snarky! :blush:
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    I would agree with the shortcomings of earlier Dynaco stuff although I've only heard the preamps. The PAS4 is a different animal and head/shoulders above the earlier pre's. up to and including the PAS3.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Gempler
    Gempler Posts: 307
    edited March 2017
    Long ago I ran a set of SDA-2's with a Hafler DH-101 and Dynaco ST-70 and it was a sweet combination. In the last decade I built a couple of the Triode clones and they too were very warm and sweet. The Triodes are a still a good value and are fun to assemble. A new Dynaco ST-70 with updated cosmetics could take some market share from Jolida and being made by Radial will likely blow away Jolida in terms of quality. But I fear it is going to be priced very high and I don't see it as a perfect fit to the Radial product line. Their bread and butter are their pedals and professional amps which I think is a different market than the ST-70 which would be targeted to a home consumer. That might be hard for them to market. But I wish them luck with it. Would be pretty hard for them to screw up up other than by an insane price. Hope they sell it as a kit too!