How much polyfill for my 2Bs?

I'm in the process of installing Black Hole 5 behind the mid-woofers. When I removed the mid-woofers I discovered I have a 2" layer of polyfill going up the back of the cabinet and a 6" x 12" roll of polyfill stuffed between the 2" layer and the back of the mid-woofer baskets. (see photo) That roll you see in the photo was stuffed in the right hole behind the mid-woofer (without the tape). There is also a similar roll in the left hole. I think that is the way it was when I bought the speakers but it seems like an awful lot of polyfill to me.

Can someone tell me the correct amount of polyfill I should have in there? I would like to have the right amount to work well with the Black Hole 5. Any help would be appreciated.

jsghc34frso9.jpg
  • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
  • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
  • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
  • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
  • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
  • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet

Comments

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    That's how mine is too. I left it all in there...not saying that's the best way.
    Interesting feet that speaker has, don't appear to be spiked :)
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    After installing my 3'' strips of BH-5 and Dynamtting the drivers I put in all the snowy white polyfill tight up to the top of the cabinets and had a loose roll to the bottom of the mid drivers and not in passive cavity at all. I did not tape mine and only had 1 large parcel of the stuff per cabinet.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2017
    Thanks guys. I have the BH5 installed with all the polyfill. It is a real nice improvement. I've not done much listening yet but the bass seems to be tighter and everything seems a little clearer. I'm liking what I've heard so far. I will have time to a lot more listening tonight. I have a highly reflective room that causes the bass to get a little boomy at louder volume levels. I think the BH5 is going to help that a lot.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    I was surprised at the better bass, was not expecting that. Glad you found it worth the effort.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.