4K...8K...what to do?

ROHfan
ROHfan Posts: 1,014
So, they debuted 8K at this year's CES and are apparently making the switch to film in 8K or scanning the film at 8K. Should I wait to get an 8K or just go with the 4K and upgrade later? Is anyone else in this position? What are you doing?
TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier

Comments

• honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    8K has been around in Japan for a while.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    4K has just barely settled in. I definitely wouldn't even consider 8K until 4K is stable. 1080p is good enough.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Go 4K for now... 8k may very well be skipped over for 16k in a few years. The 8k is just a resting stop.

Eventually we will all be born with a port in the back of our skulls and plugged into the Matrix anyway.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Wait and enjoy a cheaper 4k
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Agree, i have not upgraded to 4K yet, my TV is still to new and works just fine.

I'm still waiting on 5G
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    Definitely wait for a few years until there's some crazy good and cheap 4K OLEDs or w/e tech is leading at that point.
  • ROHfan
    andrew82 wrote: »
    Definitely wait for a few years until there's some crazy good and cheap 4K OLEDs or w/e tech is leading at that point.

This. Exactly what I was thinking. I love the look of the OLEDs.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Don't tell me you've grown tired of that Sharp already?
    I would happily take that off your hands if you feel it's lacking... ;)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    4K here. Love it. I went from a 2004 Hitachi 55" RPTV 1080i max to a TOL Sony 75" 4K along with an Oppo 203. Big improvement. LOL.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    If you watch alot of local channels, then use a high quality 1080P. I am keeping my VT60 plasma until the 4K, 8K tech settles down...or the 4K Oled sets are cheap.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    1080p plasma is working perfectly fine for me, but I don't really care that much about video. Personally, I think it's unwise to play keeping up with the Jones' as it only encourages the instant obsolescence some smucks pay for over and over and over again. Think about it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Also not to single out local channels, but blu-ray looks incredible on the plasma also. The issue I have about 4K is when you need to watch regular 1080P or 1080i content, I find most of the upscaling to be very unnatural.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    I agree Doug, Blu-Ray does look incredible on a plasma.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polrbehr
    Bluray looks incredible on my "outdated" 67" Sammy LED DLP - IMHO, of course.
    I had a serious dilemma last year when the white dots appeared on the screen, but
    I felt $200 to get it fixed was well worth it.
    And I wasn't kidding Bill, that demo with Avatar on the Aquos was what sold me on getting my Oppo, totally blew me away.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Forget 8k, stick with the 4k sets. There is barely material in 4k now, let alone none in 8K. No 8k video players yet that I'm aware of....or discs for that matter. If you want to be the first to dive into 8k, you'll pay top dollar.

.....and heaven knows the compatibility issues one might have.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ROHfan
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Don't tell me you've grown tired of that Sharp already?
    I would happily take that off your hands if you feel it's lacking... ;)

Might have to hold you to that, mister! That could give me leverage with the wife for a new set...
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    ROHfan wrote: »
    That could give me leverage with the wife for a new set...
    Are we still talking about TV's here???

Watch and see how much the first 8k TV will run you at launch. 55" for a mere $15,000. Or, if you wait a year can be had at WallyWorld for just under $1,200. Never buy new Tech!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • polrbehr
    ROHfan wrote: »
    Might have to hold you to that, mister! That could give me leverage with the wife for a new set...

Ahh, but the wink at the end is the disclaimer, meaning "I'd give you $100 for it"...

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Unless your gear takes a dump, I always wait until tech takes leaps and bounds forward rather than these small incremental steps. Still, some have to have the latest and greatest and will always pay top dollar for those bragging rights. That's cool and all, but I prefer to get value for the things I buy.

Not to mention this stuff depreciates faster than a Kardashian taking a selfie, and that's money out the window in my book. Can't speak for anyone but myself, but throwing money away is not my favorite pastime.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    What to start watching tonight? Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in real 4K, or The Godfather Blue Ray upscaled. Probably Godfather since it has been decades since I watched it.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.