More Granite State horn insanity -- or, Emilars are "go"

Options
So -- very early Tuesday morning (earlier than normal folks would be awake), I espied something on eBAY that I hadn't espied there before: an Emilar EH-500-2 horn (sans its optional 1" throat adaptor and kind of scruffy cosmetically) with a reasonable BIN. So -- I Bought It. Now. (OK, technically, I Bought It Then -- but work with me, here).

It arrived today.

Now, thanks to the enablement of world-renowned Audio Enable Joe ("Sound Practices") Roberts, I happen to have, on loan, another slightly scruffy, adaptor-less EH-500-2* that arrived here a couple of days ago.

Two 500 Hz 2" horns.

Two JBL 2441 2" drivers in the basement.

You can guess the rest.

I just pulled off the Community horns (with 1" adaptors and Altec 802Ds on 'em) and substituted the Emilars and the JBLs.

Per the advice of one of the local gurus, for this experiment, the XOs have been stripped down to first order: 2.5 mH coils on the woofer sections of the 604Es (which I am guessing/believing/hoping are more or less nominally 8 ohm) and 20 uF capacitors on the 16 ohm compression drivers. 500 Hz, nominally (these are, nominally, 500 Hz horns).

Oh, and a couple of 16 ohm L-pads on the HF drivers.

Oh, and the Fostex T90As on top of everything, supertweeting via 2 uF capacitors & 8-ohm L-pads. I mean, why the fark not?

Listening to a live Grateful Dead CD called Road To Terrapin (Hartford, CT, 1977).

"How does it sound, Marky?" I hear you ask.

I think that Meg Ryan put it best:

https://youtu.be/PdJm3DVg3EM

* Actually, Enabler Joe has loaned me two Emilar EH-500-2s. A while back, he sent up a pristine EH-500-2 complete with the 1" adaptor, which I tried (mono-a-mono, so to speak) with an 802D a while back, and which got me interested in this amazingly compact, nicely made, and sweet-sounding 500 Hz horn. Joe is a big fan of these, and has, single-handedly, contributed to their comparative rarity ;)

Comments