Polk Monitor 10B Refinish - Original Finish Removal

I have a pair of 10B's that I bought that were painted in black. I removed the paint with paint stripper however what looks to be walnut finish is not good enough to save..hence I expect that's why they were painted.

I had assumed they were wood veneer however looks to me like the finish is a vinyl laminate. Is that correct? I want to get down to base substrate to ensure a good bond when I refinish with wood veneer.

Looking for recommendations.

See below for the current condition of the speakers.

optgs832vbnp.jpg
lz7nt3swdj3f.jpg

Comments

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    A heat gun, a scraper and patience! Actually, when you get it started, you can peel off large sections at a time, heating as you go.
  • jayu969
    jayu969 Posts: 112
    Thanks! I will try that. How did you veneer the front beveled perimeter
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    I didn't yet! Got mine about 3 years ago, prepped them and they have been on the back burner ever since. Plan to get back to them soon. My veneering is not up to much, and I was considering just finishing the bevels in black, and just veneering up to the edge, but I'll see how brave I feel when I get there, which on the current timetable will be a round 2025.
  • jayu969
    Yah, I was actually thinking about painting the bevels as well.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Ask @F1nut or @westmassguy. Those dudes know their stuff!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • jayu969
    Figured it out. Was able to remove the vinyl laminate carefully scraping it off.