Onkyo M-504 power options

Options
Hi all,
I am keen on getting an Onkyo M-504 and if possible the P-304 option. I am aware that some of the M- and P- series of Onkyo audio equipment use 120v or 110v power.
Being in Australia, I would prefer using power directly from the wall outlet as opposed to using external step down transformers.

I notice that online pics of the P-304 show some versions of the pre-amp having a 100v - 240v option switch and sockets to power other equipment. Is it a good idea to connect the M-504 to one of these sockets on the P-304 to avoid using bulky external step down transformers?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Those convenience sockets have watt draw limits on them, so plugging in a power amp is a no go.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. It is not often we get to hear from your part of the globe. You are welcome to hang out ,live ,learn and contribute to our family. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    Onkyo manufactured two powering versions of that gear..One for the US and
    European consumer markets...Use dedicated lines for powering both the amp and pre...Both those pieces are excellent gear by the way..That M504 is one punchy amp...Too bad both were discontinued some time ago...
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Those convenience sockets have watt draw limits on them, so plugging in a power amp is a no go.

This ^^^

Those sockets are meant for low current draw items, like powering a small fan inside a cabinet, low voltage lights, etc. Power amps draw a lot of juice and is not the intended use for those sockets.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stuznu
    stuznu Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi All,

Thanks for the welcome Dabutcher, and thank you all for the informative responses.

Now working out a cost effective way of getting 78lbs of Onkyo audio muscle to Australia!!!! :smile:

Will probably be needing spare cash for another pare of interconnects since I am shifting from intergrated amp to a power and preamp setup!
  • tonyb
    Options
    I would imagine cost of shipping would be more than the items worth almost. Wouldn't it be better to look for some gear in your next of the woods ? You guys down under have a unique logistical problem. The odds of some damage occurring is way higher.

Lot's of good audiophile gear down there, Burson comes to mind and they are home grown.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stuznu
    stuznu Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Tony, I have used some Burson products, to be specific, their discreet opamps. I installed a pair into my Marantz CD67OSE player as part of a diy project of cd player mods.
    Yes, I agree, with your comment but I managed to get the M-504 with P-308 including a little over price of an M-504 - I just could not resist!

• tonyb
    Options
    stuznu wrote: »
    Hi Tony, I have used some Burson products, to be specific, their discreet opamps. I installed a pair into my Marantz CD67OSE player as part of a diy project of cd player mods.
    Yes, I agree, with your comment but I managed to get the M-504 with P-308 including a little over price of an M-504 - I just could not resist!

Cool, Burson makes some nice analog sounding stuff. Betcha they sounded awesome in the cdp. I know your neck of the woods has a pretty good selection of audio gear, I'm just surprised your not hunting up a good 2 channel tubed pre down there. Enjoy anyway, lets pray for a safe shipping experience. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's