Choosing capacitors for srs 2.3,value difference.

I'm gonna use Dayton caps for my crossover.They don't offer the exact same values of sonicaps,for instance they sell a 4.3 instead of 4.4,and 5.6 instead of 5.8 uf.Would this make a noticeable difference in sound ? I'm gonna stick with Mills for the resistors.

Comments

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Should be fine. 0.1 is 2.2% of the 4.4 value; 0.2 is 3.4% of the 5.8 value. Original caps are probably +/- 10%, so you're golden.

On the other hand, if you could save/scrimp/wait to have the Sonicaps in your tweeter circuit, that likely *would* have a positive audio benefit. But I am confident that you know your budget and timeframe better than I. :)
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • bassfann
    bassfann Posts: 151
    agfrost wrote: »
    Should be fine. 0.1 is 2.2% of the 4.4 value; 0.2 is 3.4% of the 5.8 value. Original caps are probably +/- 10%, so you're golden.

On the other hand, if you could save/scrimp/wait to have the Sonicaps in your tweeter circuit, that likely *would* have a positive audio benefit. But I am confident that you know your budget and timeframe better than I. :)
    Thanks. Im gonna use the original boards with these mods. If I choose to go with sonicaps,ill buy vr3 boards. Which caps are for high pass,and low pass ? I know they have a designated spot on the boards,just dont know which.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    The way I understand it, is the caps are for the high pass and the inductors are for the low pass.

Couple in the resistors and figuring the crossover points and that's where my pay grade comes up short.

But basically the big caps soak up the lows and the inductors control the high frequency absorbtion.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    gmcman wrote: »
    The way I understand it, is the caps are for the high pass and the inductors are for the low pass.

Couple in the resistors and figuring the crossover points and that's where my pay grade comes up short.

But basically the big caps soak up the lows and the inductors control the high frequency absorbtion.
    Sort of, yes.

Capacitors are used as high-pass devices. They block low frequency but allow high frequencies through to the drivers.

Inductors are low-pass devices. They allow low frequencies through to the drivers, but block high frequencies.

In a first-order crossover, the tweeters get a capacitor to block the lows, the woofers get an inductor to block the highs, and that's it. The values of the caps, the inductors, and the impedance of the rest of the circuit--including the drivers--determines the crossover points.

Polk crossovers are not first-order. In fact, they tend to be quite complex. There's inductors in the high-frequency section, there's caps in the low-frequency section, and depending on the generation of speakers, there's enormous caps in the SDA circuit.
  • bassfann
    bassfann Posts: 151
    Schurkey wrote: »
    gmcman wrote: »

Sort of, yes.

Capacitors are used as high-pass devices. They block low frequency but allow high frequencies through to the drivers.

Inductors are low-pass devices. They allow low frequencies through to the drivers, but block high frequencies.

In a first-order crossover, the tweeters get a capacitor to block the lows, the woofers get an inductor to block the highs, and that's it. The values of the caps, the inductors, and the impedance of the rest of the circuit--including the drivers--determines the crossover points.

Polk crossovers are not first-order. In fact, they tend to be quite complex. There's inductors in the high-frequency section, there's caps in the low-frequency section, and depending on the generation of speakers, there's enormous caps in the SDA circuit.

They're sda 2.3.