PSW111 with 2.1

Options
I saw a similar question posted, but the thread doesn't answer my question. I have a small stereo amplifier (SMSL Q5 Pro) which has a mono subwoofer out, which I understand is just a merging of L+R with no crossover control. How would I connect this to a PSW111 subwoofer? Would I have to use a Y splitter from the amp to feed into the L+R RCA inputs on the subwoofer? Will I be able to control the subwoofer crossover and gain using this method. (This method is not covered in the user manual). I don't really want route my speakers via the sub.

Thanks.

Comments

• littlewoodboats
    Options
    You can run a single cable from the sub out on the Q5 to the LFE/R input on the PSW 111.

Your Q5 does not include crossover control so you will have to use a combination of the low pass and volume on the sub plus the eq in your Q5 to roll off your mains for good integration.

Hope this helps
  • mog
    mog Posts: 3
    Options
    You can run a single cable from the sub out on the Q5 to the LFE/R input on the PSW 111.

Your Q5 does not include crossover control so you will have to use a combination of the low pass and volume on the sub plus the eq in your Q5 to roll off your mains for good integration.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the prompt reply, but I don't think that will work for me. I should say that I don't have a PSW111, but intending on buying one, but this is from the owner's manual I found online:
    " Connect a single RCA cable from the "SUB OUT" of your receiver to the LFE input of the subwoofer. This connecting method bypasses the subwoofer's internal filter and relies on the filter built into your receiver. "

I assume when there is no signal present on the Left RCA input the subwoofer bypasses the crossover. This is why I am wondering whether if I split the signal and use both RCA inputs then the crossover will work?
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    Someone else would have to clarify just what that means but I think that only applies if you have the subs filter set to the LFE position. If you look at the knob on the back of the sub it shows the filters set point.

I could be wrong.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    When using the Q5, it's dedicated subwoofer output has a fixed crossover point built in I believe. So if you want to use the one on the sub and have some adjustment available to you, you'd have to use the left and right speaker inputs.

What kind of speakers are you running on such a small 40 watt amp anyway ? The Q5 doesn't do 5.1 for movies, and if that's the reason you want to add a subwoofer to begin with, a dedicated HT receiver may be your better option.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    Here's my take after looking at the specs.

The Q5 pro has a low pass output of 200Hz for the sub output.

The PSW111 manual says when using the LFE/Right input to 'set the Low Pass knob to "LFE" which is really just setting the internal low pass to "max" - I don't think the LFE/Right connection truly bypasses any internal circuitry.

So, what should work is Q5 Pro output to PSW111 LFE/Right input and then use the Low Pass knob to set your upper low pass frequency to mesh with the lower frequency your speakers can dig down to.

Then play with that until your happy.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • mog
    mog Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks guys for your feedback. Sounds like I should be OK.

I got the Q5 mainly to play music, but I have plumbed the TV into it too. We don't watch many movies, but when we do it would be nice to have something to add to the experience. We're not too worried about 5.1 and honestly there is no space to add more speakers in the room or indeed to add anything bigger than the Q5 under the TV! There are however, two spaces which could accommodate a PSW111 sized subwoofer :-)

The speakers I have are some old JPW Minims I bought a very long time ago, and have been sitting in my basement. They still sound great and I am happy with the setup, but being the size they are they lack a little at the bottom end (they're rated down to 70Hz).