SDA 1 or 1a midrange speakers (farting) certain low frequency notes

Options
Hi all. New to forum and SDAs. I Bought a pair of 1 or 1a with two fuses and the short blade long blade configuration to go with a vintage Kenwood KA 3100 40w and matching receiver both in the matching walnut cases I scored at an auction. I realize that the KA 3100 may be underpowered for the SDAs to really shine, but I went for it anyway at 200.00 for the SDA pair locally. I am enjoying the soundstage effect with my music collection. Much of the stones, Fleetwood mack, doors and 70 vintage stuff sounds good to amazing depending on the original mix. The individual guitar note nuances and separation of guitar parts on the stones stuff is well worth the price of admission. However, On Creeds Higher song where Drop D tuning is used, there is an exceptionally low frequency riff between certain sections of the song that the mid speakers start to **** out from the harsh bass attack and the decay of the note. I occurs at 3:13 -3:17 guitar riff that is repeated a few times. I am not sure if this is a defect from the speaker / crossover or if it is reproducing the bass / guitar rig itself actually farting out a bit in the original recording and is just reeeallly noticeable with the clarity of the SDAs. At 1/4 volume it is noticed but not out of the ordinary at 3/8ths and toward 1/2 it becomes much more pronounced. I am not comfortable cranking it up any more than that fearing damage to the midranges. Anyone else hear that occur on that particular song? Is it that the SDAs aren't up to snuff for drop D ? Sorry guys for the long winded Q. and thanks for your time, tips / wisdom / insight.

Best Answer

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's possible your have air leaks. Push the PR in and while holding in count the seconds it takes for the mid-drivers to return to rest. You're looking for between 3 to 5 seconds. It's also possible the drivers are worn out and it's also possible your integrated can't handle 4 ohm nominal loads, which drops even further in the lower registers.

At or before 12 noon on the volume knob will have you into clipping. I recommend you not exceed 11 o'clock as with only 40 wpc you don't really have enough juice to drive those speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk