Paleo Diet, way of life

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
edited February 2017 in The Clubhouse
Health Nuts,
What do you think of the Paleo Way of eating? I think it makes a good point on many things but omitting all Grains I'm not so sure of.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I'm not on a diet but I've had to go gluten free and it's tough, so many things contain gluten. Been 3 weeks and I'm starting to feel so much better.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Too restrictive. No diet should be so restrictive IMO.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    mantis wrote: »
    Health Nuts,
    What do you think of the Paleo Way of eating? I think it makes a good point on many things but omitting all Grains I'm not so sure of.

It has it's good and bad points. You can google them so I won't go into detail. The whole basis is to eat as our ancestors did. Question is, is your gut the same today as a human tens of thousands of years ago ? 2nd question....how long was their life expectancy then as compared to today ? Pretty short I would think, granted we have modern medicine though.

To me, the benefit is Paleo stresses quality over quantity, and that's a good thing. The grains....eh, doesn't hurt to limit them but I wouldn't cut them out completely because your going to crave them even more, but whole grains will put on some weight if not kept in check. What do they feed cows to fatten them up quick ? Grains ? Do what works for you, cut back on the things you know aren't so hot for your health. Cutting them out completely means one day your going to fall off the wagon and pig out on them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Everything in moderation, exercise, stretch, walk a little. I am not into vitamins or supplements. Food allergies are a problem for many people. I am very fortunate to have good health. I thank God and my genetics.
    Carl

• tonyb
    1976doc wrote: »
    People still do this diet???

There's a reason diets don't work....long term anyway. A real diet plan isn't a diet plan at all, but a lifestyle change that brings lasting health long term as well as short.

Eating quality foods, some exercise.....and you won't have to worry about going out with the guys every now and then for a bacon cheeseburger. Trying to completely eliminate your bad habits always fails. Moderation is key with those bad habits though.

Don't deny yourself anything, that way you won't crave things you previously thought you couldn't have that you love. Just cut down on it is all, and increase the good stuff you eat, and the quality. If your older, or even middle aged, your going to want to incorporate 2 things in my view that will pay off big time down the road.

1- gut health....eat stuff that is going to fill your gut with good bacteria. Take a pre/pro biotic if your into supplements. The list of foods is endless that will accomplish this, google is your friend.

2- keep your arteries clean as possible. Many different ways to do this, but colorful fruits and veggies work wonders. Good fats like in Avocado's, as well as other foods also play a role. Artichokes...clean arteries like a roto-rooter. Take a CQ10 and fish oil to keep those blood vessels pliable because as we age they stiffen up and shrink.

That doesn't mean you have to chow down veggies and fruits like some new wave hippie doing yoga out in the middle of the Oregon forest. If you have a simple blender, that's all you need. What I do is, buy organic fruits, cut them up and bag them, throw in the freezer. Each bag, and it varies, contains watermelon, blueberry's, or raspberry, blackberry, strawberry, banana, pineapple. I defrost a bag the day before, throw it in a blender, I might add some Avocado to it, an apple or orange, maybe some kiwi. Then you have to add some liquid in the blender obviously so make it something good like coconut water, just plain water if you want it more liquefied, fresh OJ, Pomegranate juice. Bingo....your done and you have a glass full of most everything you'll need. The fiber in it will fill you up too so you don't have hunger pains and you'll have energy out the wazoo. Throw the blender jar in the fridge, drink 2-3 cups of that a day.

I'm not a big veggie guy either. I mean I eat them but they are not something I go out of my way for. So I just buy organic veggie juice.....and no, a V8 doesn't fall into that category. Veggies soaked in butter, fried, dipped in ranch dressing, your losing any gains. Steamed is best, raw even better but who likes raw broccoli ? I may bake it with something else so it takes on those flavors and becomes easier to want to eat it.

Watch the sodium too on anything in a can, box, bag. You'd be surprised....microwave products are horrible too for sodium.
    Sugar too, I try and keep my refined sugars down below 30 grams a day. You'd be shocked at how much sugar is in stuff, even stuff you think shouldn't even be in a product. Just for reference, a teaspoon of sugar is 4 grams, so if you like some sugar in your morning coffee, have at it. One Reeses peanutbutter cup though has 27 grams, and who eats just one of those ?

I don't count calories or count grams of sugar and salt, after awhile you just know. That maple syrup on your pancakes....has about 50 grams of sugar. I'll still eat it, but in my mind I know that's it for sugary stuff that day.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Portion control is the secret to any diet guys..no matter what the ingredients...
  • tonyb
    Msabot1 wrote: »
    Portion control is the secret to any diet guys..no matter what the ingredients...

Indeed it is, but portion control doesn't mean good health either unless your swallowing some things that are actually good and nourishing for you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    tonyb wrote: »
    Msabot1 wrote: »

Indeed it is, but portion control doesn't mean good health either unless your swallowing some things that are actually good and nourishing for you.

Indeed it is...being half assed active helps too!...Isn't there a saying I heard somewhere that states...garbage in..garbage out??...LOL!..
  • tonyb
    Amen brother, ya just gotta keep the old machine fine tuned to process the garbage we do eat and not store it. Let it pass thru the system as quick as possible and get it out. Garbage that sits in your gut only fosters more garbage and health issues.

Think of your body as a car, maybe more men could relate that way. You can polish up the outside, wax it, paint it, but if the engine is crap, the whole car is crap. Change the oil, put in new fluids, filters, spark plugs, adjust the timing, clean the carb occasionally, your car runs forever....almost. lol Your body is no different and it doesn't have to be rocket science either.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    ....just need to figure out how to keep the car from backfiring after eating fiber.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tonyb
    treitz3 wrote: »
    ....just need to figure out how to keep the car from backfiring after eating fiber.

Tom

Why ? A f a r t held in travels up the spine, enters the brain....and you get crappy thoughts. :p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    You wouldn't want to see my car ;)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Why??? Did you shart?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mantis
    I was checking it out. The paleo way of eating is not far from the way I try to eat. Organic Non processed foods. I don't however agree with removing all grains. I completely agree in reducing them if you have a problem with them as I do.
    My issue is bread. I lost about 21 lbs over the last few years and then hit a wall. I work out 3 to 4 times a week with weights and cardio. I also ride Mountain bikes in the spring summer and fall. I do Yoga here and there as I use to study Chinese Martial arts. I don't study anymore.
    I drink mainly water but I have Coffee or tea in the morning. I recently switched to Organic Green tea with just a tea spoon of Honey in it or I drink it plain.
    I do however have a coffee now just a few times a week.
    I also had an issue with Beer and wine. I got into Craft Beer years ago and it became an obsession. Wine I was also starting down that path. I realized how much weight I was gaining from drinking so I decided that I would only drink lightly a few times a month. This started my weight loss.
    I'll rephrase that Fat loss. I've been replacing fat with Muscle working out with my Son who is body building. It's pretty tuff working out with a 21 year old body builder but my getting old **** keeps up , LOL.
    A guy I work with did Paleo for a while and he uses it to clean himself out from time to time and suggested I check it out as it was very similar to how I eat now.
    I could never be full Paleo as I will not give up grains. I have reduced them a lot over the last week as I realized that was one of the things holding me back. I just had to much bread in my diet.
    Process of change is extremely hard when you ate and learned how to eat a certain way and then learn that way was not right for you. I've been working with a Nutritionist but I feel I need to go in a different direction as she is a sweet heart and good at what she does but I don't think she is right for me. So I'm now looking for another.
    Dan
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited February 2017
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Why??? Did you shart?

At my age I can't trust a f@rt!
    Carl

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640

5lxocuto6yqf.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    LOL that's hilarious, I sure hope that car doesn't have front brakes :#
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,066
    I really like the mammoth steaks, but would prefer them in a sandwich.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    The most important "trick" to weight loss and weight control, I believe, is changing your point of view from thinking about what you won't eat, to laying out pretty exactly what you will eat each day.

If you have a plan for each day that gives you a predetermined caloric intake and a good mix of foods you need to stay healthy and if you stick to that plan, you will achieve your dietary goals.

If you focus primarily on what you are not going to eat or drink, it is far too easy to exceed what you hope to take out of your diet either by eating more of everything else or by "falling off the wagon" and binging out on foods you were supposed to give up.

This "plan your daily food intake" approach is the approach with which I took off about 85 pounds 48 years ago and have kept most of it off for the intervening years.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Hey Dan, if bread is your weakness, make sure that all you consume is whole grain. The complete grain being the key as it is pure fiber and will not stay in your system.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    We've switched, mostly, to flatbreads.
    We do indulge ourselves, occasionally, with real (home made) bread. King Arthur Flour is right across the river from us :)

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/visit/
  • tonyb
    Man, I could go crazy in that place Mark. Bread is one of my downfalls too, it's hard to stay away from the crap.....enriched bleached flour. You see that, run...it's an automatic fat producer. If you must eat whole grain wheat, make it organic so as not to take in the pesticides and other chemicals they use to get the wheat to open up earlier than they should.

It's amazing to me, once you start researching how they grow stuff and the chemicals they use to boost production, that it almost seems criminal to do so.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/02/22/prescription-food/

Nice to see some doctors getting on board with what some have known for like forever.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    No doubt Tony.

Tom
  • tonyb
    I forget which Greek Philosopher it was that said, "Food is medicine and medicine is food" or something along those lines. He said it around 400 B.C. though. Here we are almost 2500 years later are we are re-discovering this concept ? Bad food, bad choices are the reason for medicine. If we all had good food available to us, we wouldn't need as much modern medicine. Hmmm....chew on that for a minute and tell me poor food and Pharmaceuticals don't make great bedfellows.

On a side note, saw this today....

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/crazy-reason-no-one-living-214500543.html

Interesting diet, Yams, sweet potatoes, which are exceptionally good for you, Taro, which I grow in my pond, fish and veggies, coconuts. Notice what's missing ? Red meat....which speaking for myself there is no way I can completely give up red meat. Smelling a good Rib eye on the grill is just too damn good. I have cut down on it though.

The Taro, as I said I grow in my pond. The root ball is eaten and treated just like a potato with a sweeter taste to it. Loaded with all sorts of vitamins and minerals I never knew about. Might have to try it out. Obviously, given this groups location, absence of pesticides and chemicals and quality of the fresh fish....no wonder.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    I only eat red meat maybe once a week or so. I cut my red meat down a lot.
    I'm basically eggs, Fish, Chicken Turkey. Ham and pork here and there.
    Dan
  • mantis
    1976doc wrote: »
    I eat red meat every chance i get... unless im eating salmon.
    LOL which is the red meat from the sea

Dan
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    About a month ago I stopped red meat, which I was eating daily for lunch, and three dinners a week. Now it is a combination of chicken and tuna (albacore). Haven't noticed any difference in how I feel, but my grocery bill is lower.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.