Quieting a heat pump blower

Options
My house is noisy, even when it's empty and nothing's going on. I prefer to have the blower running constantly, but the sound of the air rushing through the ducts and vents has always sounded louder to me than I think it needs to. I'm in the process of finishing my basement, and I've constructed walls to box in the blower unit, but there's still a constant din. Right now, it's just 2x4s and sheetrock... Maybe some insulation will help? Suggestions?

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Oh yeah, I'm planning a stereo listening room in the basement...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Thoughts on spray foam encapsulated?
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Sounds like you have under sized ducting, too large of a furnace, or the furnace isn't set up correctly.

That is if I understand that your hearing the air coming out of your vents.

Little more info on the noise, I may be able to help.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    A couple vents are particularly louder than others. I can try to get an SPL measurement tomorrow. The issue in the basement is more related to the noise generated by the furnace/blower unit itself.
  • rpf65
    Options
    Some furnaces are loud, simply because manufacturers wanted to cut cost. All manufacturers make budget equipment, so not a specific brand.

Furnace noise can be caused by a number of things. One of the most common is a dirty blower wheel. Between dust getting by the filters, air leaks in the blower door, and air leaks at the return air side of your furnace, a lot of dust can build up over time.

Cleaning a blower wheel is a little involved, and something I would recommend you didn't try do take on yourself. That whole assembly needs to be take out, the motor removed, and finally the housing top plate taken out to get the blower wheel out. Usually takes me about 1 hour or so, if I don't run into problems.

Some furnaces have thin sheets of insulation glued inside the blower compartment. Pieces can fall of, because they degrade over time. A lor of the time those little pieces will get sucked into the blower wheel, causing the wheel to be unbalanced. Usually have to pull the blower assembly out just part way to look inside.

Not really hard to check. Two screws usually hold the assembly in place, and just shining a flash light inside both sides and visually inspecting it. Somewhere close to 95% of the time those screws are either 5/8 or 7/8 inch heads. The blower is mounted on a track, so it slides straight back. Bunch of wires there, but usually enough slack that none have to be removed to check it.

If you decide to look into the blower compartment, the lower door, turn the power to the furnace off. Usually just a light switch close to the furnace. Don't know where you live, but here in the Austin area, service call and cleaning a blower wheel cost about $250 to $300, depending on who is called and what's involved.

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    If you get the ducting wrap that looks like fiberglas with a quilted aluminum foil lining, that wraps around your ducts. It will not only increase efficiency, especially on long runs but it will cut down a great deal on transferred noise.

Kinda like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/E-O-12-in-x-15-ft-Foil-and-Fiberglass-Duct-Insulation-SP55-6/100185601

or this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/60-sq-ft-R-6-Insulated-Duct-Wrap-INSWRP60/100152008?MERCH=REC-_-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-100152008-_-N
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • rpf65
    Options
    Sorry, the screw head sizes should be 5/16 and 7/16.