Want to use my SDA 2B's with my TV

Options
2»

Comments

• alexhadden
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Yamaha Aventage with preouts and your amp.

Realizing this is an old thread, but i recently asked Yamaha Customer Service about connecting a pair of Polk SDA CRS to my Yamaha Aventage RX-A830 receiver and they responded "Unfortunately, the receiver doesn't have a common ground. If you look at all the terminals, it has it's own ground/negative for each speaker." At first I thought perhaps Yamaha didn't understand the common ground query, but in the end I decided not to risk it!
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    It doesn't matter if the RX-A830 is common ground or not if you are going to use pre-outs to an amplifier that is common ground to power your CRS speakers.

I use a Marantz NR1504 with pre-outs to my Adcom 555 amp. The Marantz is only 50 watts per channel but it is common ground. It could be used as a stand alone amplifier. The Marantz has a "pure direct" mode that bypasses the EQ features and center speaker for 2 channel listening.

I have a pair of CRS+ and they sound good powered by the Marantz. I recommend using the pre-outs to a more powerful amplifier for your CRS speakers if you intend to crank up the volume.

The NR1504 has a small footprint making it more suitable when used as a preamp than some of the larger AVRs.

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    Never heard of a non-common ground receiver...
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    alexhadden wrote: »
    they responded "Unfortunately, the receiver doesn't have a common ground. If you look at all the terminals, it has it's own ground/negative for each speaker."
    I find it appalling that once-respected brands have sunk to that level. Shows the priorities of the company when they allow morons, half-wits, nit-wits, or boneheads to answer customer questions.

But then this is a company that puts a power-supply strangulation switch on the back panel because the power supply, heat sink and/or output devices have been cut to the bare minimum. Never in the history of audio have there been more 4-ohm (or lower) nominal rated speakers; and never in the history of audio have 4-ohm (or lower) nominal rated speakers been such a high percentage of all speakers sold...yet they're totally allergic to listing a 4-ohm FTC spec for their amplifiers.

Yamaha now is as bad as Sony in terms of how far they've fallen.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    alexhadden wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Yamaha Aventage with preouts and your amp.

Realizing this is an old thread, but i recently asked Yamaha Customer Service about connecting a pair of Polk SDA CRS to my Yamaha Aventage RX-A830 receiver and they responded "Unfortunately, the receiver doesn't have a common ground. If you look at all the terminals, it has it's own ground/negative for each speaker." At first I thought perhaps Yamaha didn't understand the common ground query, but in the end I decided not to risk it!

Every amp, integrated amp, receiver and AVR has its own ground/negative for each speaker. Therefore, the person you spoke with didn't understand your common ground query.

Your AVR is common ground, all AVR's are.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    Here y' go. Genuine common-ground one-terminal amp section in a console stereo.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/how-would-you-connect-this.989128/