Want to use my SDA 2B's with my TV

Hey guys. I have some old SDA 2B's I'd like to put to use again and was hoping to use them with my new TV. Any thoughts on this? Would I be better off selling them and buying a 'TV' sound system or would it be worth buying a new integrated amp and use the Polks? Or... I still have my old Yamaha power amp, but would need to purchase a new preamp too. I purchased these long before I had a wife and kids and would really like to make it work. The speakers and the power amp are what's left of my previous life. Any advise, or harassment, is welcome. Paul

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Yamaha Aventage with preouts and your amp.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Nightfall wrote: »

True that....but we don't know if that amp is common ground or not. To take advantage of todays movies, a HT receiver with preouts is what you need, not a pre-amp.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • No reason why they won't work. However will it be a standard stereo setup or a home theater system? I've done both successfully with my SDA's.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    edited February 2017
    It will certainly be an improvement over the TV sound. Know a friend who has done this with his SRS speakers. Fills up the room for sure.
    Assuming the amp drove the speakers before with no problem then should be nothing more needed than to add the preamp.
    Do make sure you can get the right sound output from the TV to the preamp. Analog / digital / hdmi. Some of the new TV's are a bit more limited.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    edited February 2017
    I use a Marantz NR1504 with pre-outs to my Adcom 555 amp and it sounds great! The Marantz also has a "pure direct" mode that bypasses the EQ features and center speaker for 2 channel listening.

I just use a center channel speaker with my 2Bs for TV. That allows everyone on the sofa watching TV to hear balanced (centered on the TV) sound and the person seated n the center gets full SDA. Without the center channel the sound seems to come from the side of the sofa you are sitting on. You could also use rear speakers if you choose to do so.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    tonyb wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »

True that....but we don't know if that amp is common ground or not. To take advantage of todays movies, a HT receiver with preouts is what you need, not a pre-amp.

I'll 3rd or 4th this. A HT reciever with pre outs is the ticket. The better the HT reciever, the better the 2Ch sound when you want it. You can then use reciever amp to power center and surrounds as desired. If you are sticking with 2 channel, then a regular good quality preamp works fine.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Does your TV have audio output jacks? L and R output RCA jacks into a power amp MIGHT work, if the gain of the amp is suitable for the output voltage of the TV. It might be worth a try; it'd be easy enough to measure output voltage at the TV jacks and then compare to the amp specs for input voltage.

IF (big IF) the TV output voltage is enough to drive the amp so that quiet is quiet and loud is loud...you wouldn't have to have a preamp at all.

I'll say that I've never actually tried this.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Schurkey wrote: »
    Does your TV have audio output jacks? L and R output RCA jacks into a power amp MIGHT work, if the gain of the amp is suitable for the output voltage of the TV. It might be worth a try; it'd be easy enough to measure output voltage at the TV jacks and then compare to the amp specs for input voltage.

IF (big IF) the TV output voltage is enough to drive the amp so that quiet is quiet and loud is loud...you wouldn't have to have a preamp at all.

If sound quality is of a concern to you, you never use a TV for that function. Most receivers don't have the correct output voltage for amps, let alone a TV too.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pkquat

I assume the Yamaha amp does NOT have a volume control, otherwise there would be no need for a preamp. If this is the case:

ONLY connect the RCA out if you KNOW your TV has variable output, controlled by the TV volume control from the RCA out jacks. Many, if not most TV's these days do not have variable output. Direct line out voltage from the TV might cause the amp to over drive the speakers in the amp input gain is set to normal or reference levels.
  • Schurkey
    Yes, pkquat is correct. I assumed variable-volume output jacks but did not specify that. The variable-volume jacks make all the difference.

I've used the variable-volume RCA jacks on my Adcom CD player to provide signal for a power amp with no preamp between them. Never done it with a TV, though.
  • Thanks for the input guys. Here's what I'm working with. 3sd8jhnsikgq.jpg
    7a01hsilc6bu.jpg
  • pkquat
    The pics didn't show up.
  • TennMan wrote: »
    I use a Marantz NR1504 with pre-outs to my Adcom 555 amp and it sounds great! The Marantz also has a "pure direct" mode that bypasses the EQ features and center speaker for 2 channel listening.

I just use a center channel speaker with my 2Bs for TV. That allows everyone on the sofa watching TV to hear balanced (centered on the TV) sound and the person seated n the center gets full SDA. Without the center channel the sound seems to come from the side of the sofa you are sitting on. You could also use rear speakers if you choose to do so.

Thanks. I looked at the inst manual for the 1504 and did not see and hook ups for a power amp. Someone else also recommended the 7701 and that does appear to have a power amp option. Am I missing something? Would love to use the 1504 as the 7701 seems to be overkill.
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    I use my 3.1TLs with my TV and love them. I use a Yamaha V665 for HDMI switching into an NAD C370 for the amp. Awesome.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • TennMan
    PaulOsi wrote: »

Thanks. I looked at the inst manual for the 1504 and did not see and hook ups for a power amp. Someone else also recommended the 7701 and that does appear to have a power amp option. Am I missing something? Would love to use the 1504 as the 7701 seems to be overkill.

The 1504 has preout connections for the left and right power amp inputs as well as for a subwoofer.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81bguSLanuL._SL1500_.jpg

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
  • My wife has a 2016 Vizeo 65" HD and it does have variable left and right audio out. You can go into menu and turn the TV's internal speakers off if you want to. All of the audio controls like bass, treble, etc in the TV menu do apply to the variable audio outputs. BUT, the output voltage is super low for some reason. I ended up running the outputs into the receiver's phono inputs to get normal sound level.
    In my room, son's room, and living room, I also have 50-60" Vizeo monitors. All have variable audio out that are a normal preamp level going into regular two channel amps or receivers. I'd be surprised if your Vizeo didn't have variable audio out too.

I don't recall anyone asking, do you have the SDA inter connect cable? In the Vizeo audio menu on some of my monitors there are options for fake surround affect using just front speakers that might really sound funky with SDA. Two of my Vizeos also have speaker out to power a center channel. Fake surround + center + SDA could end up sounding cool. My luck it would sound like the mains were out of phase and sitting at the other end of a 40 foot drainage tunnel. This is going to be a try it and see what happens. And listen to these guys about exact cabinet placement. Oh, and test/checkout your speakers before you dive into the rest. They may have been perfect last time you listened to them but that doesn't mean they're still perfect today. Do the cabinet leak down test. Check all woofers for magnet shift or maybe an unhappy piston assembly. I'd battery pop them just for piece of mind. Some of the regulars can better describe these tests and I'd be surprised if one doesn't chime in shortly. If anyone suggests buying Polk RDO series tweeters, listen to him. They really do make the entire speakers sound better. Spikes under them are also a must-do in my opinion as is quality wire and RCA's. I'd make sure the amp and speakers are working as they should before all this other mix-n-match trials.
  • TennMan wrote: »

The 1504 has preout connections for the left and right power amp inputs as well as for a subwoofer.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81bguSLanuL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks. I have one on order.
  • Schurkey
    Slapaho wrote: »
    the output voltage is super low for some reason. I ended up running the outputs into the receiver's phono inputs to get normal sound level.
    How did you bypass the RIAA equalization inherent in the Phono input?
  • TennMan
    I don't think you will be disappointed. You might want to consider getting a Smart Surge Protecting Power Strip like this one to turn on your power amp when the 1504 is turned on. I have one and it works great.

• PaulOsi
    PaulOsi Posts: 9
    TennMan wrote: »
    I don't think you will be disappointed. You might want to consider getting a Smart Surge Protecting Power Strip like this one to turn on your power amp when the 1504 is turned on. I have one and it works great.

Will do. Thanks again.
  • TennMan
    After you've run the speaker setup on the 1504 be sure to go into the menu and turn OFF "Dynamic Volume". It will kill the dynamic range and make the speakers sound flat. It is on by default.

There is also a setting called "Dynamic EQ". It is good for action movies but can be a little boomy sometimes when watching TV shows. I switch it on and off depending on the mood I'm in. :) I don't think it's activated when you're listening to music in direct or pure direct mode.
  • hauxon
    hauxon Posts: 161
    edited March 2017
    That Marantz amp was probably a good choice for a TV setup. I've got my SDA 2B's hooked up to my TV rig too.

My SDA 2B setup is rather simple. NAD M51 dac/preamp (it has HDMI inputs) + NAD C272 power amp (and a sub). Sounds great! Both for music and movies.
    SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint

• How did you bypass the RIAA equalization inherent in the Phono input?[/quote]

Sorry. No idea what you're asking about? I think her Luxman has a switch for type of cartridge being used but didn't change it. Just went RCA out of the Vizeo's variable audio outputs into the receiver's phono inputs and selected PHONO on the front of receiver. She listens to it several hours every night and all weekends long without an issue
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    How did you bypass the RIAA equalization inherent in the Phono input?

Sorry. No idea what you're asking about? I think her Luxman has a switch for type of cartridge being used but didn't change it. Just went RCA out of the Vizeo's variable audio outputs into the receiver's phono inputs and selected PHONO on the front of receiver. She listens to it several hours every night and all weekends long without an issue[/quote]

Not sure how that could even work. A phono input is for a very low level signal, and inherent to any phono input, unless it does not have a built in phone pre-amp, would be the Phono Eq circuit...
  • TennMan
    ... She listens to it several hours every night and all weekends long without an issue
    If she likes it every night that's all that matters. :)

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    I 've been using my 2Bs or any speaker for my t.v.viewing I just take audio out from the cable box to tuner-in on my Yamaha RX-V665. It not only works for tv but since all my other sources come from the AVR w/ the exception of my phono and cdp.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

• Not sure how that could even work. A phono input is for a very low level signal, and inherent to any phono input, unless it does not have a built in phone pre-amp, would be the Phono Eq circuit...[/quote]

As already stated, the audio signal coming out of our newest Vizeo is super low. Even with the TV volume at WFO it was too low when plugged into a regular input. Knowing phono input is looking for much lower signal voltage, I tried running the TV's super low signal into the phono inputs and it matched up well.

• Schurkey
    edited March 2017
    ... She listens to it several hours every night and all weekends long without an issue
    No, it isn't.

Listening to a signal that hasn't been equalized, that's being processed through an RIAA equalization curve is going to outrageously bloat the bass, and roll off the treble. Could potentially damage speakers from excess bass, and the treble would be shockingly poor. It may be that a low-grade amplifier would be running with it's tongue hanging out from the added bass. "Liking" that is a matter of not having heard it CORRECTLY. It's an issue of ignorance, maybe with some laziness thrown in. I have a hard time believing that RIAA equalization would somehow compensate for other system deficiencies. This is a problem, not a preference.

Ignorance is not a crime, but it deserves correction, not a Special Olympics award for participation.

Once she gets used to hearing it without the RIAA curve polluting the signal, she'll "like" it more.
  • TennMan
    edited March 2017
    No, it isn't...

... Ignorance is not a crime, but it deserves correction, not a Special Olympics award for participation.

Once she gets used to hearing it without the RIAA curve polluting the signal, she'll "like" it more.

There was no ignorance on my part. I'm well aware of what the RIAA curve is for and how it would degrade the sound the way he is connecting it for TV listening. Perhaps there was some ignorance on your part by not getting the pun I intended (which had nothing to do with what she was hearing) when I made my post. I was trying to have a little fun and perhaps it didn't come across funny as I intended but maybe you should lighten up a little.

Post edited by TennMan on
  • It is absolutely not bass heavy or suffering on top. I'd also never consider a Luxman R117 a weak amp. For speakers she talked me into moving my Artimas EOS speakers and stands into her room when we got this latest Vizeo. I'm pretty protective when it comes to these speakers and there are rules such as the TV's audio EQ's have to be turned off, tone controls on the 117 by-passed, and loudness always off. I know I'll never be able to afford another pair of speakers in the EOS' price range so they're never abused. If it sounded anywhere near how you're saying it should be sounding I would have pulled the plug immediately. I can't explain why this monitor has such a low mv variable audio output when all the other Vizeo's in the house have what I'd call normal mv variable outputs. I do know the difference in a flat sounding setup compared to an over-EQ'ed bass and treble dynamic sound and can say without a doubt the Luxman is not boosting bottom end or killing top end. I added a B&W 12" powered sub so she'd get the movie rumble since the little EOS's 7" Eton woofers weren't doing a lot and she's not allowed to touch the bass knob or TV's EQ. Maybe the Eton cones should be jumping out of their baskets because the signal is going into one of the phono inputs but they're not. If anything they sound slightly weak on bottom with the monitor signal compared to how they perform with a CD or album. Ignorant or not, it's working fine.