Time For an Upgrade/Something New

2»

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Nightfall wrote: »
    B&W's weren't doing it for me. Time to check out Dynaudio.

psYzrhp.jpg

So??? How u likey?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Thanks to @F1nut for getting me on the Skylan bandwagon. Awesome stands, very well made, highly recommend them. The owner, Noel Nolan, is a pleasure to work with. If he's not super busy he'll make the column height and top plate custom sized for you which I did. They come with flat feet as well as spikes and can be mass loaded with sand/rice/kitty litter/lead shot/etc. Prices are in CAD so they're very reasonable when you consider the exchange rate.

http://skylanstands.com/stands.htm

They also make component racks and amplifier stands.

XjxIQ5D.jpg

554adEc.jpg

2xRuAY2.jpg

92xC3wB.jpg

Swx8M66.jpg

m9p5Qr8.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Look great Josh, I knew you'd like them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Yeah those came out sweet Josh
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Looks great!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Soooo how are they?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,927
    edited March 2017
    How'd I miss this thread 'til now?

Re the very first post -- those would be, relative to my ears and tastes, the best sounding B&Ws ever.

:)
  • Nightfall
    edited March 2017
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Soooo how are they?

Still dialing them in position wise and they still have a lot of break in to go but so far very good. Surprising amount of bass from a relatively small cabinet and driver, 3D imaging, and a stage about 3/4 the width of 2Bs as well as a larger front to back and much better center imaging. Less forward in the midrange than vintage Polks which I like but I could see someone not being a fan. At first I thought it might be too much midrange suckout compared to the Polks but after some time and playing with toe in I think it's great.

• Goat
    Goat Posts: 6
    I always wanted a pair of B&W. Now I think I can afford it. Maybe the monitor 7 version
  • Nightfall
    edited March 2017
    These Dynaudio's keep getting better and better as I play around with placement and they break in. Very happy with them. Hopefully I'll find out what their better lines sound like one day because even their cheapest Emit's are very good. Smooth yet detailed at the same time. The ultra high frequencies are there but they're not harsh or in your face. Enough finesse to really feel the emotion of Johnny Cash's final recordings, the frailty of his voice almost choking me up. Yet, the very complex layers of Tool are all easily discernible and the ability to play some ultra crazy metal like Obituary or Cannibal Corpse is not lost.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I haven't heard a dynaudio speaker I didn't like. My VW has them from stock and I feel no need to change it.

I hope they get better and better for you. It's nice to explore in this hobby. For better or for worse, I have to say I enjoy the experience.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I recently picked up my first pair of Dyn's. Your evaluation is spot on, detailed yet smooth is the sound I was looking for and the Dyn's deliver in spades.

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I haven't heard a dynaudio speaker I didn't like. My VW has them from stock and I feel no need to change it.

My old Volvo had them as well. Great sounding system for a car!

When I finally traded it in, losing that system was the biggest downside.

IIRC, aren't a lot of Totem speakers basically Dynaudio drivers in redone cabinets?
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    The Excite series is a "reasonable" step up the ladder from the Emit and you will notice the differences. To me it was not a night and day/in your face difference but more revealing - more detail than the Excite without fatigue. The next step up from the Excite is a bigger $tep though, especially since the new Contour line was just released (not likely to find any pre-owned models for a discount) but the new Contours are getting good reviews from the folks over at AVS.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Nightfall
    edited March 2017
    halo wrote: »
    The Excite series is a "reasonable" step up the ladder from the Emit and you will notice the differences. To me it was not a night and day/in your face difference but more revealing - more detail than the Excite without fatigue. The next step up from the Excite is a bigger $tep though, especially since the new Contour line was just released (not likely to find any pre-owned models for a discount) but the new Contours are getting good reviews from the folks over at AVS.

@txcoastal1 is hoping to get his ears on the new Contour line pretty soon here. Personally I think the new Contour's are the best looking speaker they've done. My mouth is watering for a pair of Contour 20's. Grey Oak is purrrdy.

Dynaudio-Contour-20-Grey-Oak.jpg

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited March 2017
    halo wrote: »

@txcoastal1 is hoping to get his ears on the new Contour line pretty soon here. Personally I think the new Contour's are the best looking speaker they've done. My mouth is watering for a pair of Contour 20's. Grey Oak is purrrdy.

Dynaudio-Contour-20-Grey-Oak.jpg

I've had eyes and ears on the new Contour 30, in the Grey Oak...Outstanding build quality and sound, my next speaker.

• Nightfall
    edited March 2017
    Bored of Dynaudio already... time for Dahlquist. How many speakers can you fit in a studio apartment? I'm trying to find out.

kQWWnI7.jpg

Just kidding, they're not actually mine. Picked them up for @dromunds off Craigslist and his buddy is going to cart them to Wisconsin next month.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Yeah, a tip o' the hat to Josh, these are "parts" monitors that will be stripped for the crossovers and a woofer I need, along with the stands. The rest is "gravy for the colonel." Lol.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    With the 1.2's gone, a new pair of speakers has entered the fray. Behold and excuse the mess. Don't forget to let the jealousy rage through your veins.

0G3Gxle.jpg

XRXTNpy.jpg

hSb2fT3.jpg

UqLI68z.jpg

Timeless..
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    With the 1.2's gone, a new pair of speakers has entered the fray. Behold and excuse the mess. Don't forget to let the jealousy rage through your veins.

0G3Gxle.jpg

XRXTNpy.jpg

hSb2fT3.jpg

UqLI68z.jpg

Timeless..

Damn, you're as hairless as Joey...
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    These Dynaudio's keep getting better and better as I play around with placement and they break in. Very happy with them. Hopefully I'll find out what their better lines sound like one day because even their cheapest Emit's are very good. Smooth yet detailed at the same time. The ultra high frequencies are there but they're not harsh or in your face. Enough finesse to really feel the emotion of Johnny Cash's final recordings, the frailty of his voice almost choking me up. Yet, the very complex layers of Tool are all easily discernible and the ability to play some ultra crazy metal like Obituary or Cannibal Corpse is not lost.

"ultra crazy metal like Obituary or Cannibal Corpse is not lost"
    Copy That !!
  • Nightfall
    edited March 2017

Now I feel like my masculinity is at stake. I might be as short as a kid but I'm not as hairless as one. :D

oz49O3x.jpg

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517

Now I feel like my masculinity is at stake. I might be as short as a kid but I'm not as hairless as one. :D

oz49O3x.jpg

Hey now, dont show too much leg or it will get censored.... and you might find @lightman peeking in your windows......
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    oz49O3x.jpg

What kind of tubes are those?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    mrbiron wrote: »
    oz49O3x.jpg

Thigh highs!
  • Nightfall
    mrbiron wrote: »
    oz49O3x.jpg

Triple mica Hanes, uber rare.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited March 2017
    Are those genuine "Kornholios"?
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    ladder getters for sure