Please tell me if this is not normal!

Options
Second pairing RD0 tweeters and same issue again. I'll include a link to a YouTube video, when you listen to the RD0 you can hear a faint buzzing at the end of the piano chords. It is hard to hear I'm the video but I can still point it out.

let me know if this is what you have experienced or not.

https://youtu.be/FBuOk2FkJOA
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• codycatalist
    Options
    You'll notice there is a spike in white noise at the end of the chords. This is the buzzing I'm talking aboit

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,329
    Options
    Check connections within the speaker and leading to the speaker.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • codycatalist
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Check connections within the speaker and leading to the speaker.

Tom

Issue doesn't occur with my SL2000s so I know it's not an internal speaker connection. Beyond that the only connection I can make with their tweeter are the terminals which I popped right on without issue. Popped them on all the way and made sure there wasn't a connection issue there...

• codycatalist
    Options
    Unless the red dye on the positive terminal needs to be removed. I wouldn't figure that to be the case since there are no other indications of terminal type.

• treitz3
    Options
    I will admit, I may be wrong but experience tells me from that issue that there is a connection issue. It's not from the source and it's not from the amplifier.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • codycatalist
    Options
    I will admit, I may be wrong but experience tells me from that issue that there is a connection issue. It's not from the source and it's not from the amplifier.

Tom

I can understand that. What I can't is how my older tweeter works fine and still thinking it to be a connection issue. I mean plug black wire to positive, white to negative. I don't have any play in the female when I have them connected. On top of that I already reversed polarity just to make sure but same issue.

• treitz3
    Options
    It could be an internal issue with the tweeter itself. Try swapping a known RDO that does not have this issue within the same speaker and listen for the same issue.

Tom
  • codycatalist
    Options
    It could be an internal issue with the tweeter itself. Try swapping a known RDO that does not have this issue within the same speaker and listen for the same issue.

Tom

I wish I could. Ordered my first pair last week, had this issue. Got a replacement pair sent out, same issue. Now I'm here o:)

• treitz3
    Options
    Hmmm, okay. So you say that the connection from the terminal of the wire to the tweeter is okay.....what about any loose connection between the terminal of the wire and the connection itself?

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    I am betting it's between the speaker terminal and the tweeter. Somewhere in that mix, there is an issue.

Tom
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    Are those 194 or 198?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• codycatalist
    Options

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    I can hear a lot of hiss with the SL2000, which sounds more like crackle with the 194.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• codycatalist
    Options
    One RD0 in the new shipment seems like it doesn't have this problem. First one I tried was horrible, lownor high volumes I would get slight breaking up and buzzing.

• codycatalist
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I can hear a lot of hiss with the SL2000, which sounds more like crackle with the 194.

I get the crackle but I get more of a hiss than a crackle on the RD0.

• codycatalist
    Options
    It's a weird sound to describe. Like static breaking up the sound on certain parts. It's not on all frequencies, I notice it more with piano, harmonica etc.

• Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It's probably the connector. After they are removed a couple times and exposed to the elements they get loose and the plating wears off. Try new connectors and make sure the surfaces are good. When I had my SRT subwoofer drivers repaired I replaced all the connectors for good measure.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Think I could have had a crossover issue I couldn't hear in the SLs that is revealed on the RD0?

• motorhead43026
    Options
    Are the crossovers stock?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Are the crossovers stock?

Indeed. I know they have a shelf life but I wouldn't figure there was a major issue since it was not audible on my old tweeters that I've swapped back and forth with the RD0. Same noise with the RD0, none with the 2000.

• codycatalist
    Options
    One RD0 in the new shipment seems like it doesn't have this problem. First one I tried was horrible, lownor high volumes I would get slight breaking up and buzzing.

Scratch that, started out nice but eventually started making the same noise.

• motorhead43026
    Options
    Time to rebuild those crossovers.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Time to rebuild those crossovers.

Yeah it's overdue but think that could be the issue here?

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,759
    Options
    Could it be the SL2000 just doesn't resolve the upper end like the 194 does? Have you tried a different amp/receiver?

I would check all the connections, but... you could have been that unlucky with the 194's.

• codycatalist
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »
    Could it be the SL2000 just doesn't resolve the upper end like the 194 does? Have you tried a different amp/receiver?

I would check all the connections, but... you could have been that unlucky with the 194's.

I'll have to break out my marantz and see what happens. Haven't had an issue before with the amp but doesn't mean it isn't the culprit here.

• treitz3
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I highly doubt it's the crossovers, unless there is an issue in that network and on that speaker.

Tom
  • codycatalist
    Options
    I highly doubt it's the crossovers, unless there is an issue in that network.

Tom

I didn't believe them to be the issue but how would I really know without hearing another pair of 2bs which I haven't.

• treitz3
    Options
    Ya' lost me bud. What is a 2B and what does this have to do with your issue?

Basically, what I am saying is swap the tweeter with the other speaker. Does the issue follow or is it corrected? This will help to isolate the issue and if the issue persists, to diagnose what is wrong from there.

Tom
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Ya' lost me bud. What is a 2B and what does this have to do with your issue?

Basically, what I am saying is swap the tweeter with the other speaker. Does the issue follow or is it corrected? This will help to isolate the issue and if the issue persists, to diagnose what is wrong from there.

Tom

SDA 2b. What I was saying is I wouldn't really know if I had a cross over issue unless I heard another pair of the same speaker confirmed to not have issues.

I've swapped tweeters between the speakers and issue is in both but only RD0s.

• treitz3
    Options
    PM sent

Tom