Speaking of Speaker Specs

Options
I have always had bookshelf speakers until recently. Since January 9th this year, I now have Polk Audio RTI A5s that I'm very happy with.

I looked at several other 2 and 3 way speakers besides Polks (JBL and Monitor Audio, etc). One of the things that confused me was that several of the smaller 3 way and 2.5 way towers had very low crossovers to their bass speakers. One was crossed over at 120 hertz. The Monitor Audio Bronze 6s are crossed over at 150 hertz. This low crossover point was a bit befuddling to me.

The Bronze 2 bookshelf speakers are $600 to $700 cheaper than the Bronze 6. If I use an 80 hertz crossover on my receiver, I'm paying Monitor Audio a premium for 70 hertz of sound. Why not just buy the Bronze 2s and a decent sub and save some money?

My question is, why do major speaker companies sometimes set such a low crossover point on some of their towers? Is this justifiable?

Comments

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    Can you tell us more about where these crossover specs are coming from?

I'm guessing forum 'experts' and not actual manufacturer specs.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.