What is HDR (High Dynamic Range) TV?

Options
While many of us may be satisfied and content with the current state of Home Theater, and perfectly happy with 1080 hi def, there is much change coming to hi def. Both the resolution (HDMI 8k in 2017) and the quality of the video (HDR) are pushing the boundaries of High Definition TV.

FYI: I found this 6 part series at Secrets of Home Theater and Hi Fidelity that goes in depth explaining HDR:

http://hometheaterhifi.com/technical/technical-reviews/high-dynamic-range-hdr-explanation-dynamic-range-resolution-color-calibration/

With the new technology comes an entire alphabet soup of new jargon. Here is a link to a brief glossary of terms from the same website:

http://hometheaterhifi.com/technical/technical-reviews/high-dynamic-range-glossary/

Just being aware of the direction things are going can help with the timing of future buying decisions.

So, are you ready for HDR? Are you happy with the ongoing changes in tech?

I think we are in for some great video and audio treats once all the dust settles and the technology scene stabilizes. All this new stuff will be costly!

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Well now, that's the thing....technology doesn't stabilize, it keeps moving forward and at a good clip these days I might add. Chances are, you buy something new today and it will be outdated by the time you get home.

You want to time your purchase when new tech comes out ? Cool, you'll pay top dollar for it. You want to wait for prices to drop, also cool....but now your already outdated. They'll come out with something to make HDR a thing of the past too, that's what they do to drive new sales.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Exactly Tony because just as soon as this HDR comes out, they will announce they are now putting out the HDRU (High Dynamic Range Ultra) which is already perfected but first they want to get all the money they can from the HDR.

I jumped off of the merry go round years ago which is why I just replaced 27 year old speaker and the rest of my gear with the exception of the TV and SVS sub are all over 10 years old!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited February 2017
    Options
    HDR is a more significant upgrade than 1080P to 4K.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    HDR is a more significant upgrade than 1080P to 4K.

Yes, HDR makes an LED backlit LCD display look slightly more colorful and dynamic than a good plasma display did five years ago. :)