How do you audition and test new speakers and equipment?

Options
Besides doing side by side comparisons, how do you test new speakers and equipment? What are some of your test recordings? What are some of your test criteria?

Here are some of my critical listening tests:

The mantra for people watching BD and DVDs often is, “I can’t hear the dialogue.” Classical music may be even worse than movie soundtrack dialogue. “Pianoforte” was the original name for the modern piano. It means: soft and loud. Classical Music is filled with both soft and loud passages. The music is very dynamic. For orchestral music, two of the worst offenders are the symphonies by Tchaikovsky and Anton Bruckner.

Bruckner is almost neurotic in the sudden, dynamic swings from piano to forte. Last summer I bought Polk Audio RTI A3s and I listened to Daniel Barenboim/Bruckner/Chicago Symphony and Georg Solti/Bruckner/Chicago Symphony. With the A3s, I could hear the quiet passages without turning up the volume. Then when the sudden loud passages sprang, the volume was not too high! The A3s are very detailed, but they are champs with piano forte.

Besides testing for piano forte, detail is also important. I listened to the three opus 59 “Razumovsky” string quartets by Beethoven. The string quartet consists of 2 violins, a viola and a cello. It is easy to distinguish the violins and viola (the “upper strings”) from the cello (part of the “lower strings”) but it is more difficult to distinguish the violin from the viola. With the A3s I found myself saying “that’s a viola!” numerous times. The viola was distinguishable from the violin.

The composer Rimsky-Korsakov’s Scheherazade is another great recording for testing new stereo equipment. It has everything in it. It has great dynamic swings, numerous instrumental solos, slower andante passages as well as fast temp allegros. (I like Fritz Reiner/Chicago Symphony, or Riccardo Muti). Some equipment and speakers may do well with solo instruments like the piano, but trip over themselves when the sound stage gets filled and busy with a large orchestra.

I also like to listen to familiar music to see if my new equipment reveals anything new from what is old to me. The Beatles Sgt Pepper, White Album, and Revolver have all kinds of different instruments (including the Sitar) and sounds going on in them. I also Test for male and female voices. I like Randy Travis’ “Full Circle” and “Always and Forever.” Vince Gil is also a good candidate for male vocals. For female vocals, lately I’ve been listening to Ann Hampton Callaway and Patty Loveless.

On Spotify, I recently discovered “The Chieftains.” They are an Irish folk band. If you want to test for sibilance and harsh treble sounds in your tweeters or amps, The Chieftains are the ticket. The music is not only overloaded with treble, it has very fast treble passages. Their recording are very well done.

So, how do you test new equipment?

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,045
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Short answer for now. :)

I think that the piano (pianoforte, indeed!) is perhaps the single hardest thing for a loudspeaker to get right -- to reproduce in a way that actually sounds like a piano. The Quad ESL-57s achieve real-sounding piano reproduction, as do the Altec Duplexes (IMO). Very (!) few other loudspeakers do.

Some get the tone fairly right, but not the scale ("size").

The other key tool for me is the human voice. Our hearing has evolved to be exquisitely sensitive to the human voice & to nuance in human vocalization. Best for me is a small group (say three to five) voices in harmony or unison. I like to see if I can listen for individual voices in a small group -- to me, that's a key test of the "resolving power" of a loudspeaker. This is a little different, I'd opine, than what some folks call "detail". To me, one'll know it when one hears it ;)

I am particularly keen on the Wailin Jennys -- beautiful voices, beautiful and technically high quality harmonies, and very well recorded, too. Try their album Live at Mauch Chunk Theatre and I think you'll see what it means.

Here's a Youtube-grade (audio) example (one of the first tracks I like to try for an evaluation):

https://youtu.be/rdT58JW1yF8

• soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It's pretty simple in that I install the new piece of equip and listen to it for at least a week or two or until my ears get familiar with the "new sound" ( it may be subtle, it may be dramatic, maybe in the middle.) Either way once your ears are used to the sound go back to the old piece of equip and listen again to the difference (another week) and make a determination as to what you like of the new vs the old. Yes it takes time but we are talking about making changes (good or bad) in your system. The hard part (for me) is to remember that "senergy" has a lot to do with the results. This is why I no longer (for quite a while) do a/b comparisons as they don't allow for the details to be explored. First impressions are just that an impression not an evaluation! So patience is important! As far as music used for this evaluation, it should be something that represents the full scale of music that you are intimately familiar with so you can hopefully recognize any differences.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    Options
    I like to play the last movements of both Mahler's second and fourth symphonies.
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited February 2017
    Options
    its a crap shoot, with the lost of audio listening room at stores (most were bias toward what they wanted to push off on the customer) and the fact we buy more of our gear online you have to trust your research. Sometimes you just have to have some faith and hope for the best. I think more today we rely on brand loyalty and pass performance of a brand to help us make those decisions.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to have some faith and hope for the best.

That's pretty much how I've been doing it. As long as you buy used you don't come out on the losing end if the piece is not for you.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Short answer for now. :)

I think that the piano (pianoforte, indeed!) is perhaps the single hardest thing for a loudspeaker to get right -- to reproduce in a way that actually sounds like a piano. The Quad ESL-57s achieve real-sounding piano reproduction, as do the Altec Duplexes (IMO). Very (!) few other loudspeakers do.

Some get the tone fairly right, but not the scale ("size").

The other key tool for me is the human voice. Our hearing has evolved to be exquisitely sensitive to the human voice & to nuance in human vocalization. Best for me is a small group (say three to five) voices in harmony or unison. I like to see if I can listen for individual voices in a small group -- to me, that's a key test of the "resolving power" of a loudspeaker. This is a little different, I'd opine, than what some folks call "detail". To me, one'll know it when one hears it ;)

I am particularly keen on the Wailin Jennys -- beautiful voices, beautiful and technically high quality harmonies, and very well recorded, too. Try their album Live at Mauch Chunk Theatre and I think you'll see what it means.

Here's a Youtube-grade (audio) example (one of the first tracks I like to try for an evaluation):

https://youtu.be/rdT58JW1yF8

Thanks for introducing me to The Waylin Jennys!!! Beautiful.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    Options
    I'm waiting for lightman to say in his tighty whities
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,045
    Options
    Willow wrote: »

You've gotta admit, that's better than in sombody else's.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options

Boxer briefs, scooter.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

Boxer briefs, scooter.

l0tux4ys4xqc.png
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a