AURALiC

Comments

• tonybtonyb Posts: 27,210
    lightman1 wrote: »
    erniejade wrote: »
    It is small. looks bigger in pictures vs what it looks like on your rack.

So many juvenile comebacks can be said here.......

so many grown up ones too.....only I think I'll leave it alone since it seems pics can cause quite the commotion...lol.
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,843
    My hands are normal size, eff you guys.
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 5,701
    Joey_V wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    So after hearing great things about the Mini and having already been interested in their line, I reached out to them and things are going well. I should be bringing in the Aries Mini, Aries, Altair, and Vega. Looking forward to getting my hands on them. The Aries is about the sexiest component I've seen.

I'm hoping to have them in by Friday, but we will see.

In person it's a lot smaller than I thought it would have been.

HAHAHAHA
    edited February 17
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 12,904
    I've got an Altair en route in black. Looking forward to spending some time with it.
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 3,631
    Cool! The Aries was a great unit and Altair has a built in dac. Unfortunately I did not get my ears on the Altair but, if its like the Aries I am sure it would sound great.
    edited February 21
    Is the Altair also using a ESS chip? I do have worries that the AURALiC units sound like Oppo, any insight?
    sfl7mn5l68zp.jpg
    Nice you got it! How's it doing?
    Immediate impressions are a lower noise floor. Might have something to do with the linear psu or getting the computer out of the mix.
    AURALiC did an awesome job on their display. It's so easy on the eyes and easy to see in light or dark.
    how much time do you have on it? Give it at least a week or so. Like I said. I haven't hear that unit but I have heard the Aries and it sounded great.
    erniejade wrote: »
    how much time do you have on it? Give it at least a week or so. Like I said. I haven't hear that unit but I have heard the Aries and it sounded great.

Yep. I won't share thoughts for a week or two.
  • sgmsmgsgmsmg Posts: 129
    Any updates on the Altair? How does it compare the Vega as just a DAC? It appears the Vega only comes in silver while the Altair comes in balck?
    The Altair is the way to go if you are going to go with a streamer IMO. While its not cheap at $1900, it also doesn't sound cheap. The integrated DAC sounds great and the functionality is top notch. In addition, you can have a factory-installed 1 TB SSD included for an additional $300. When the Aries is $1600 and this is just a few bills more, it makes sense to include a quality-designed DAC for a very small investment. The Aries is a streamer only and requires an external DAC to operate.

The one caveat is that if you intend to use it as a streamer-only, you must feed the digital signal via USB. However, this connection enables the unit to send any file type to an external DAC.

The black finish is just sexy on this unit.
  • sgmsmgsgmsmg Posts: 129
    Have you compared just the DAC portion to a Vega? I am not too interested in the streaming aspect.
    It's comparable. I prefer the North Star Design Supremo to the Vega. It's more well rounded and engaging.
  • factorzfactorz Posts: 317
    Just read a update on the new update coming to lighting and sounds like some cool stuff. Mini will support Roon now. Might have to see what all the fuss is about.
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,172
    Have a few questioned regarding the Aries mini, looks as though some albums are playing at a higher bit rate 24/48 through the lightning DS app. Is this MQA? I haven't ever noticed this before. And obviously it sounds better than 16/44.

I've noticed 2 of the same albums listed, seems one is the higher resolution file, and the other is CD quality.
    Yes it is MQA.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,923
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Have a few questioned regarding the Aries mini, looks as though some albums are playing at a higher bit rate 24/48 through the lightning DS app. Is this MQA? I haven't ever noticed this before. And obviously it sounds better than 16/44.

I've noticed 2 of the same albums listed, seems one is the higher resolution file, and the other is CD quality.

Which albums, I want t do a comparison?
    Thanks
  • factorzfactorz Posts: 317
    If using Tidal I believe its anything in their "masters" area.
    factorz wrote: »
    If using Tidal I believe its anything in their "masters" area.

I'm not in their masters area. Not sure if the lightning DS app organizes things differently. Tidal VS lightning DS is payed out very different.
    I did see something yesterday where Tidal listed what appeared to be two identical albums side by side. Maybe one was a master? I will try and back track to it tonight.
    edited April 13
    I was on my pc adding to a playlist and saw two identical albums, maybe one was a master?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I was on my pc adding to a playlist and saw two identical albums, maybe one was a master?

This is exactly what I see. One is higher quality. I've tried it with several artists.
    Cool I got to check it out. Tidal is getting more appealing everyday.
    edited April 14
    On my lumen, anything that has mqa has a little logo in the corner saying MQ. Maybe they will do the same for the lighting app?
    I'm still not seeing anything on the lightning app that specifies MQA. Unless I'm retarded. I've looked everywhere and finger swiped every part of the screen.
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I'm still not seeing anything on the lightning app that specifies MQA. Unless I'm retarded. I've looked everywhere and finger swiped every part of the screen.

On the now playing screen it will show it's playing a 24 bit file.