Check out the new rig

Options

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    I want to compliment one thing over another, but I can't figure out which...I love everything about it.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222
    Options
    Enjoy. Looks sweet.
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,759
    Options
    Very nice setup, we'll done....stand does look awesome.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Options
    I like it Allot
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    Thanks! The new rack is what pulled everything together, it's from timbernation.com. Tiger maple stack rack. I had big problems with the turntable isolation, vibrations were killing me. Everything is dialed in now though, it is just superb. Audio journey is complete, I've found my gear for life. Now it's time to just kick back and enjoy the tunes...
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Once upon a time I had an amp, a preamp, a phono stage, and a headphone amp, all now in one box. I also had a squeezebox and a Marantz player as my dac, also now combined into one. Since these are the only two components requiring power conditioning, I just installed an MIT Z Duplex outlet in the wall and plug the amp and the Marantz into it. The turntable motor is fine plugged into plain old juice. So I don't even need a power center, the MIT does a great job of keeping the background nice and quiet.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222
    Options
    nspindel wrote: »
    Audio journey is complete, I've found my gear for life.

Said everyone who ever upgraded;)
    Seriously, nice rig.
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • nspindel
    Options
    crashb4 wrote: »
    Said everyone who ever upgraded;)

Thing is, for me this wasn't really about upgrading, it was about consolidating. I moved from a 4000 sq foot house to a 2BR apartment. The idea was to streamline the footprint of the system and reduce the number of components without sacrificing quality. That's tough to do when you're starting out with a massive Krell amp.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Looks awesome Neil.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Love it! That VPI looks great!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • nspindel
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    That VPI looks great!

The amp or the turntable??? B)

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    Congrats! Very sweet looking rig.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Both! the amp I think you was limited to 100 units if its the one I am thinking of.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • nspindel
    Options
    Yup. Only 100 of the amps were built.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The stands for the CRS's are the best part..

LOL!!! :D
  • Drahthaar
    Options
    Loving the speaker stands too (even though I didn't make them!)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    Options
    Drahthaar wrote: »
    Loving the speaker stands too (even though I didn't make them!)

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/119192/sda-crs-custom-built-stands/p1
  • Drahthaar
    Options
    Wow Toolfan66, those are a work of art just by themselves. My CRS's kind of look pitiful without those
  • nspindel
    Options
    I consider myself privileged to own these stands.
  • WastelandWand'r
    Options
    Beautiful, clean, competent setup. My setup gives the impression that I am trying to hide a wall with components.
    Home Rig

SDA 2.3TL's front and center
    Polk 1000p Center
    Pioneer Elite SC35 Receiver (Pre/Surround
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 5X200-Back in the mix.
    OPPO BDP-93
    Squeezebox
    Stepped up to name brand Speaker Cables and interconnects!
    Monitor 4, 5, 7, 10's, SDA 1B's, 2B's, 2.3TL's, RTA 15TL's all in storage waiting for me.
    Sales Rating #1!!
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options
    Nice Job! Sweet looking rig!
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Options
    What type of vibration issues were you experiencing prior to the new rack? What was your previous rack?
    [
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Options
    Do you get any feedback problems with turntable being so close to the CRS speakers? I am having feedback problems with my VPI Aries 3D.
    [
  • nspindel
    Options
    Well, I had read enough about and seen enough examples of having the turntable on a thick wooden shelf bracketed to the wall. I tried going that route first. Problem is that I live in a condo and the non-load bearing walls are metal studs that just click together. There is A LOT of movement in the walls. So the shelf resonated way too much because of the sound pressure causing movement in the wall. But the floors are steel reinforced concrete. So once I moved everything onto the new rack that's coupled to the floor with spikes, and now everything is just grand.

No, I have no problems with anything being close to the speakers.
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    My turntable is on a shelf in a built-in cabinet. The cabinet was absorbing the vibrations and transferring them to the turntable. Soft pads used to apply wax from Advance Auto Parts stopped my turntable vibration problems. They are about 4 inches in diameter and 1/2" thick. Place them under the turntable feet.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Beautiful, clean, competent setup. My setup gives the impression that I am trying to hide a wall with components.

That's my set-up. Whenever I think things are looking pretty good, I end up seeing pics like @nspindel and hang my head in shame at the monstrosity I have. Clean, simple & elegant it's not. But it sounds OK. ;)

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Very nicely done! Enjoy the music!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• nspindel
    Options
    TennMan wrote: »
    My turntable is on a shelf in a built-in cabinet. The cabinet was absorbing the vibrations and transferring them to the turntable. Soft pads used to apply wax from Advance Auto Parts stopped my turntable vibration problems. They are about 4 inches in diameter and 1/2" thick. Place them under the turntable feet.

The VPI Prime already has anti-vibration built into the feet, zoom in there and you'll see. There was just way too much movement in the wall, nothing would have worked. I tried anti vibration pads under the built in feet, zero effect. But I like it much better like this anyway!
  • nspindel
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »

That's my set-up. Whenever I think things are looking pretty good, I end up seeing pics like @nspindel and hang my head in shame at the monstrosity I have. Clean, simple & elegant it's not. But it sounds OK. ;)

That's where I came from. I had an amp, a preamp, a phono stage, a headphone amp, a squeezebox touch, a separate power supply for the squeezebox, a marantz sacd player that I used as a dac, Plus a PS Audio and a Monster power center. Like you said, sounded great. But not simple. Without giving up anything (and gaining in some places) I was able to consolidate four pieces into one with the integrated amp, three pieces into one with the new marantz, and eliminate the power centers by building the power conditioner into the wall. Of course, it also gets rid of all sorts of interconnects and power cords. And the only thing I gave up in the process was SACD playback, and I never built much of an SACD collection.

It still amazes me how great so little output power makes my SDA's sound when I am using a tube amp. I'd ran tube preamps for years but always with a solid state amp. Even in triode mode, the amp has plenty of juice to handle the CRS+'s at 20wpc. In ultra linear mode it puts out 38wpc, and completely blows the roof off the place when I use the Marantz. The turntable requires cranking the volume up towards 1:00 to even 2:00, but that's because I have a very low output cart at 1mv. I could get a step up transformer, but I don't need the extra volume and I think the amp enjoys having the volume cranked.

Anyone know how an amp of this sort of tube power would make some of the bigger SDA's sound? If I plugged a pair of 1.2TL's into this, could it give them a good run? Not that I'm going there, of course, I don't have the space and that's why I got the CRS+'s after so many years without them. But hypothetically? Just curious...