What ?

Options
tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,906
Want to hear a good one ?

I call Comcast, complain about my 230 buck a month bill, + taxes makes it around 260. They offer me a different package that would bring it down to around 160 + taxes. I tell them I don't need the land line phone but they have no packages that get rid of the phone and would be cheaper.

Call AT&T, they can get rid of the landline phone and offer me roughly the same package as Comcast for 110+ taxes. I say cool, sign me up. Schedule the install for today, call Comcast to end service tomorrow.

This morning I get a call from AT&T, saying they need more info to process the order. I call back.....turns out, they want 449 bucks plus an additional 119 activation fee BEFORE THEY CAN INSTALL. I start screaming at the idiot, you guys told me no cost to install when I signed up, now you want just short of 600 bucks ? Cancel my order.

This is B.S. and I don't know how they constantly get away with this type of practice...and cable companies wonder why they are hated as much as they are.
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I think the solution here is quite obvious............have a Snickers you angry b@stard!

You turn into a raging Italian when you are hangry :D
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    Options
    Yeah, I really enjoy the "public utilities" we have today.
    Up here we have basically two choices -- Comcast or smoke signals.
    OK, three choices. Moonbounce amateur radio would work, too.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    We need more regulations!
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    we need something --

I remember the days -- you had a TV, you turned it on, there was stuff to watch. Some good, some bad -- but there was stuff. And it was free.
    Paying money to watch TV is fine if there are no commercials. Commercials on a pay service are double jeopardy, the way I look at it.

No commercials on cable TV, right? ;)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I figure soon our electric company will enable technology to pop little advertisements out of the wall sockets. :)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    DSL isn't near as fast as Cable..............you could take the speed hit?
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    I am really close to cutting the cord. Still need internet so they can bend me over a barrel for that. But even with Dish TV and Comcast internet we pay just shy of $200 and both went up again. I don't feel I get $200/mo value out of it all.

The thing is more people will jump ship and eventually in 3-5 years Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Sling TV will all be raising their prices and we'll be back in the same boat again.

If it were me Tony, take the Comcast reduced offer and be done with it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Want to hear a good one ?

I call Comcast, complain about my 230 buck a month bill, + taxes makes it around 260. They offer me a different package that would bring it down to around 160 + taxes. I tell them I don't need the land line phone but they have no packages that get rid of the phone and would be cheaper.

Don't plug a phone in. Revenge on the robo-callers and scammers. Sweet! :)
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Can't really see a difference between 720 and 1080 unless the screen is bigger than about 32 inches.

Can't really see a difference between 1080 and 4K in screens up to around 45 inches.

These are just my personal observations between same model numbers of different sets that I could personally compare.

Just thinking will you really see a difference between 4 and 8K on sets less than 50 or even 55 inch screens? Just thinking out load, and wonder how many 8K sets they would sell without the need to change the HDMI protocol.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Sorry wrong thread
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    The thing is more people will jump ship and eventually in 3-5 years Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Sling TV will all be raising their prices and we'll be back in the same boat again.
    Yup, sort of a zero sum game, methinks.
    Save a little scratch here, spend it there.

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,998
    Options
    I hear ya Tony! Every two years I jump ship when the prices get out of hand. First Comcast, then DIREC TV then Dish. Now I'm back with Comcast. Two yr contract for 89.99, really 110.00 for two rooms. Includes upgrading Internet to 100 speed, Showtime, Encore, 220 channel package. After this 2yr contract is up I'm definitely looking into cutting the cord. The only downside is Comcast is my only choice for Internet. Absolutely no competition at all for Internet service. Maybe in 2 yrs things might change. I'm not holding my breath though.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • heiney9
    Options
    Is there truly a market anywhere that has a direct competitor for internet? Comcast is it here too for internet. AT&T, Dish are available, but not near as fast as cable and still not that much cheaper.

H9
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You know the saying, right?

The grass is NOT greener on the other side - it's the same color....brown. :)

I deal with (W)Rect*m...ah...Spectrum problems all the time, but locally when I ask about other services the litany of problems is just as bad.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    I have the same frustration. These cost are out of control and the customer service is pitiful. I have recently installed an over the air antenna and was very surprised at the number of channels and how much better todays antennas are then what I tried about 10 years ago. But that really depends on location and market.

I am considering cutting the cord! But all the providers seem to have many things to give away when you are canceling. Where did customer loyalty go? Charge the guy who has been paying for years more and more. And offer the new guy specials. <rant over>
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Is there truly a market anywhere that has a direct competitor for internet? Comcast is it here too for internet. AT&T, Dish are available, but not near as fast as cable and still not that much cheaper.

H9

Yep, here in TX we have whoever just bought time warner and grande, which is a better deal. I semi cut the cord and get 300 mbps cable internet for 60 plus tax.

There are some advantages to living in this god forsaken state!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    Antenna for TV (free) and HD quality and $40 a month for internet. All I need.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I wish I could go just internet, Cox mid range package is around $60 a month for internet. Wife need her TV so I am stuck with the $180 a month bundle.

Every April we have to call Cox and get a different bundle. funny when I tell them my price better not go up or I am calling AT&T, for some reason they keep it the same.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    Options
    Hate them, must have them. I have DirecTV so my nightmare is with internet/phone. I've been going back and forth between TWC now Spectrum and Cincinnati Bell. Every 12 months or so I change to get the 60ish rate for new customers. A year comes by and they increase to over 100. I go back to the "other" provider. So stupid they can't just keep you in a decent rate.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    "Every April we have to call Cox and get a different bundle. funny when I tell them my price better not go up or I am calling AT&T, for some reason they keep it the same. "

My dad does the exact same thing every year to get the intro price year after year. They'll rip you off if you let them.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Comcast one of the most hated companies in America along with Charter/Time Warner, Wells Fargo, Sprint, and Mylan.

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2017/01/10/americas-most-hated-companies-4/
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    I think the solution here is quite obvious............have a Snickers you angry b@stard!

You turn into a raging Italian when you are hangry :D

It's not a Snickers issue... it's those damn steroids he is on for his upcoming adadicktomy...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Netflix 9.99 a month. Internet w Comcast $69.99 a month. Antenna on chimney. RadioShack. $35.00. Redbox for blu rays. Been this way for ten years. Feel your pain bro. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    We just dumped Dish this week. We have a Roku on each TV, and we use Hulu and Amazon Prime apps on it.

Our home is technically in a Bluegreen Resort, so we can get a limited cable package for dirt cheap. No DVR, though, hence the Hulu.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Options
    Cut cable about a month ago due to rising costs and seemingly increasing number of commercials. Kept internet service from Timewarner at about $90.00 a month and bought indoor antennaes. Miss some of the shows I used to watch but no plans to go back anytime soon.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    You hear that Comcast is the most-hated cable company in America but a lot of that has to do with the fact that they are also the biggest cable company in America (by a large margin). So obviously they are going to receive more complaints. I move around a lot for my job and have had a lot of different cable companies. To be honest, they are all pretty-much the same but there are some small differences.

The best cable company I ever had was in Ohio called "Buckeye Cable". It's a smaller company delegated to the Buckeye State but their customer service was a notch above the big guys in every aspect. Their package was a tad better for the money but nothing earth-shattering. Just a better value overall.

The cable company I have now is called RCN and it probably the worst one I've ever had. Comcast was better because they had better channel selection and the Xfinity DVR and interactive was better. Also Comcast had Palladia (which became MTV Live) and RCN doesn't which sucks because I used to watch it a lot. Charter is a tad better than RCN too.

I currently have the RCN "Gold" package with high-speed internet, phone, and all the premiums channels and my bill is $230 per month. Nothing to sneeze at but my bill was about the same with Comcast.
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    We cut out all the bells and whistles and went strictly internet service and pay $6x a month.
    Between my laptop, 2 Xbox's, 3 TV's, 2 tablets (grandkids), bunch of laptops and towers, and 4 smartphones, we've never experienced any signs of slowdown even with the majority of them going full tilt.

Checked my usage for last month for just my laptop:

707b4o2oiuss.jpg

If you can gain inexpensive internet access, it's all good. ALL good.
    Our provider is always offering "upgrade" package deals, but by the time you add everything up .... whew !

Sal Palooza
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    Got DirecTV thru Sam's - two rooms with HD boxes and a shared HD DVR. First year was $37 a month for over 300 channels, periodic premium channel sample offerings, and the NFL Sunday Ticket for the first season. Second year, $57 a month and no Sunday Ticket.

After that, the price jacked to over 2.5x in the third year and more in the subsequent years - we're probably at about year five or six now. And we'd filled most of the DVR storage up with movies and crap from the premium channel sample weekends that we'll get around to watching "some day".

We watch mostly network stations. I watch one news channel (most of which I could do online thru my "Premium" membership) and someone else in the house watches every dam Real Housewives of Timfaaktu series there is on Bravo! Good Lord, please don't get me started!

So, I feel like we're being held hostage by the Bravo channel and the movies, etc. on the DVR which we don't want to lose ('the Life of Pi', from a few years ago, etc.) With the huge money we've blown, I could have gotten a good over the air HD antenna for all of the network TV and I could have probably written, directed and produced half of the movies on the DVR - or at least Red Box rented them on blu ray.

So,I feel I could cut the cord if I could find somewhere I can get Bravo separately and an easy to use, non-DirecTV (or other carrier) HD DVR.

Anybody?........Anybody?.........Buehler?
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Charter internet and phone for $73/mon. including fees. Several Roku boxes, Netflix that I share with my daughter, Amazon Prime that she shares with me, and Mohu leaf indoor antennas. Add HBO Now and we would still only be around $100 including the house phone.

Fortunately, we are close enough to Charlotte that the antennas pick up about 40+ channels and the reception is very good and the picture great. Worst part of no cable TV is the lack of the NFL channel and ESPN.
  • charley95
    Options
    Legender wrote: »
    "Every April we have to call Cox and get a different bundle. funny when I tell them my price better not go up or I am calling AT&T, for some reason they keep it the same. "

My dad does the exact same thing every year to get the intro price year after year. They'll rip you off if you let them.

We just upgraded to a better package last week with Comcast for the price we were paying for our previous package. They are starting to wise up on the threat of switching providers when one threatens to switch. Once you lock into a package with them and tell them later you don't want it anymore, they will hit you with a $250 cancellation fee.

We'll have to ride the package out until it expires before we threaten to go elsewhere and see what they offer us. Their scam usually consists of migrating a few channels you already have to a more expensive package in the middle of your contract without warning you in advance. Get a idiot on the phone while trying to get things worked out is another part of the scam. Ask to talk to a supervisor and they will tell you that he/she is not in and you can leave them a message in which they won't call you back.

Comcast is a gypsy scam in which there is not much anyone can do but, switch to another provider to encounter the same crap!