The HDMI Arms Race - get ready for HDMI 2.1

Options

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    for one according to the audio mags I read there is not a standard for HDR yet. Many of the "HDR" compatible components are not compatible with other brands. It's a very gray area at the moment. If you choose to chase the newest anything audio you could loose a lot of money in your pursuit.

Bingo, because by chasing the latest and greatest, you also pay top dollar for it. Then you get it home and find out it won't work with xyz brand....but a future update is coming, don't know when, but it's coming. By the time it comes, your outdated somewhere else and it becomes a never ending cycle.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Well, couple things.....

1- any receiver, even older dolby 5.1 with an optical connection will play 5.1 over Comcast coming in.

2- Those TV reviews you have to read with a grain of salt. Most problems are from people not setting them up correctly.....AND they don't set them up correctly because they don't provide a frickin' manual anymore. I mean like nothing....they expect you to go online and figure it out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    ...AND they don't set them up correctly because they don't provide a frickin' manual anymore. I mean like nothing....they expect you to go online and figure it out.

So, I guess that means that "RTFM" is as archaic now as "Kilroy was here" or "23-skiddoo" or the quaint notion of "dialing" the telephone, eh?

;)

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Think you may want to look at operating instructions on any high end receiver. They run many hundred pages. For instance the complaint of ARC not working, is simply because most people don't enable it.

Most of open box receivers you get at BB are for reasons similar to this. People think there is something wrong, and is usually because something wasn't set up per manufacturers instructions.

Of course this is both a good and bad thing. You not reading manuals and return a perfectly good AVR. Me getting a pretty good discount, doing a factory reset, read the manual, and set it up correctly for my needs.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    ...because they don't provide a frickin' manual anymore. I mean like nothing....they expect you to go online and figure it out.
    !! ++. I find paper way easier than any computer regardless of screen size.

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    The first thing I do is download the manual to my pc. The paper version is simply too hard for me to read. On the pc, I can make the text as big as I need to.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Insightful article
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    Options
    It doesn't help that - ahem - some of us, as we age, are losing some of our capacity to be quick on the uptake. :|

Of course, some of us were never particularly sprightly, uptake-wise, in the first place.

:*
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Pardon my ignorance what does HDCP2 mean?

Is HDMI 2.X backward compatible?

Outlaw announced their replacement/bridge to the newer tech recently - the 976 Pre/pro. I posted the rear view first as it's quickly telling of its potential.

http://outlawaudio.com/images/OutlawAudio976rear.jpg

For you technocrats a link to their site w/ a bit more info:

http://saloon.outlawaudio.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=96259
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    edited March 2017
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance what does HDCP2 mean?

Is HDMI 2.X backward compatible?

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a form of digital copy protection developed by Intel Corporation to prevent copying of digital audio and video content as it travels across connections.

yes they are all backward compatible

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/why-hdcp-2-2-will-be-bad-news-for-4k-1287966

• oldschlpolkie
    Options
    I like my outdated vintage gear (Audio) and don't really care about keeping up with the Jones as long as the awesome sound is there. For my home theatre I always stay a few years behind and save a bunch of money while still enjoying good quality. I'm cheap and I have kids what can I say!
  • tonyb
    Options
    I guess the frequency of gear becoming outdated is nothing really new to anyone. Which begs to question why anyone would pay big buck retail prices if that's the case then. Most of it anyway isn't leaps and bounds better than what you already have.

BTW....I wouldn't buy anything from monoprice, nor would I even accept it for free. No offense to the monoprice fanboy club. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    Monoprice equates to low quality, some might even say junk.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    edited July 2017
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I would say....but trying to be polite....kinda. lol

HDMI.....has been changing iterations for years, should be of no big surprise to anyone. Thing is, it won't affect most people unless your buying a new tv or other video product, the audio side stays the same.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    edited July 2017
    Options

It's of mono quality
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options

I would say....but trying to be polite....kinda. lol

HDMI.....has been changing iterations for years, should be of no big surprise to anyone. Thing is, it won't affect most people unless your buying a new tv or other video product, the audio side stays the same.

From what I've read, if you have a problem with HDMI compatibility go with an HDFury.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options

I had cables come from them DOA and two HDMI cables with constant handshaking issues... It's just not worth the trouble for the real cheap cables from them. Maybe their "high end" stuff, which is still bottom rung, is at least at a working quality?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited July 2017
    Options
    HDMI is a tricky SOB. I have been using, with no issues, a 5 meter Pangea I bought years ago. After I upgraded my TV and BR player to 4K, I figured I may as well get a better HDMI cable. So, I bought a 4 meter Cambridge Audio HDMI for 4K UHD TVs. Well, at the same time as I replaced the cable from my Oppo 203 to the TV Oppo did a firmware upgrade. So, I am watching a 4K movie and getting snow, noise, etc. on the picture. I tell Oppo their upgrade seems to be buggy. They said it sounds more like a bad HDMI cable. No way I think. I just bought this expensive HDMI cable solely for 4K. Well, I put the Pangea back, and everything works great. LOL.

Thankfully, Audio Advisor took it back.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    HDMI is a tricky SOB. I have been using, with no issues, a 5 meter Pangea I bought years ago. After I upgraded my TV and BR player to 4K, I figured I may as well get a better HDMI cable. So, I bought a 4 meter Cambridge Audio HDMI for 4K UHD TVs. Well, at the same time as I replaced the cable from my Oppo 203 to the TV Oppo did a firmware upgrade. So, I am watching a 4K movie and getting snow, noise, etc. on the picture. I tell Oppo their upgrade seems to be buggy. They said it sounds more like a bad HDMI cable. No way I think. I just bought this expensive HDMI cable solely for 4K. Well, I put the Pangea back, and everything works great. LOL.

Thankfully, Audio Advisor took it back.

Not everyone makes a great cable, high price or not. Very few actually test that their cable can pass what they say it does. At shorter length it may very well pass signal but at a longer distance it fails to completly pass all packets
  • rpf65
    Options
    I may be wrong, but I think most cable manufacturers didn't change a thing to become HDCP 2.2 compliant. Other than testing the cables for the high bit rate transfer. That is if they made a decent cable to begin with.
  • rpf65
    Options
    You may want to look at Audioquest's web site.
  • pitdogg2
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Standard def will go away without a doubt. HD will play on SD TV's and there is only so much bandwidth to pump all of it through. Something will give and it will be standard def. Dont kid yourself about this.