Oppo Sonica Dac

Options
JuanR
JuanR Posts: 718
edited February 2017 in Electronics
Just arrived today! I've been playing the Masters on Tidal....so far so good! The sound is pretty clean. I like that you can stream from your phone app. Even the wife was enjoying it so that makes it ALL good! Might buy a Sonica speaker for her so she can listen to music while she cooks and cleans...LOL!!!!

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    I've been keeping an eye on this. Hoping that the soon to be released 205 player uses the same DAC and implementation.
  • JuanR
    Options
    It usually follows... can't see the 205 having anything else other than the same DAC... I don't think you will be disappointed with the sound...
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Sweet!!!!!! A lot of buzz about this unit going around. At it's price point, it seems to do quite a bit. Nice pick up and good choice!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    If it wasn't for wanting top analog sound quality for SACD & DVD-A playback, I'd get the Sonica & a 203 instead of waiting for the 205. I think Oppo has screwed up by not supporting Tidal streaming in the 203, hopefully the 205 will fix that. If not, I may just get the Sonica anyway.
  • petede
    Options
    As someone who has thoroughly enjoyed the BDP-105D experience since May 2014 and, who yesterday, ordered a Sonica DAC I am wondering why support for Pandora has been dropped. I'm not suicidal about this because Spotify has been added and I am happy with its free version. Go with the flow I say :-)
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    I've been keeping an eye on the Sonica DAC. Does a whole of awesome stuff for the $$.

I just don't think I can go completely disc free yet, so I think the 205 is most likely in my future...
  • petede
    Options
    Yes, indeed I did agonise over the decision to go discless but will continue to simply rip any interesting CDs that come my way to FLAC. I never did use the BDP to play Blu-ray content.

One of the main reasons I bought the BDP in the first place was its "Pure Audio" mode but that "Audio DVD" format never really took off and there are only a handful of titles available. So the Disc component has only been used a few times.
  • JuanR
    Options
    It is a very - very - nice dac for the money. I am planning on hooking it up directly to my amplifier via xlr soon, I hear it brings out super nice resolution by bypassing any preamp conversions...stay tuned
  • petede
    Options
    JuanR wrote: »
    It is a very - very - nice dac for the money. I am planning on hooking it up directly to my amplifier via xlr soon, I hear it brings out super nice resolution by bypassing any preamp conversions...stay tuned

Agggrrr - the dealer called to say that delivery is 3-4 weeks away. As usual, Australia is way down on the priority list. Juan, how long did you have to wait ?
  • JuanR
    Options
    I pre-ordered last Wednesday and it arrived the following Tuesday...6 days total. How are things in the land down under? I hear its very nice..
  • petede
    Options
    I pre-ordered last Wednesday and it arrived the following Tuesday...6 days total. How are things in the land down under? I hear its very nice..

Oh yes - I love this country, especially the beaches - I'm on the east coast (Brisbane) about 45 minutes drive from the surf beaches. At the moment though we're suffering a heat wave - the predicted temp for Sunday is 37 c (99 f) and very humid. I'll be spending most of the day in the water cooling off :-)
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    petede wrote: »
    Yes, indeed I did agonise over the decision to go discless but will continue to simply rip any interesting CDs that come my way to FLAC. I never did use the BDP to play Blu-ray content.

One of the main reasons I bought the BDP in the first place was its "Pure Audio" mode but that "Audio DVD" format never really took off and there are only a handful of titles available. So the Disc component has only been used a few times.

Yeah, just not there yet.

I have several Blu-Ray concerts that I like to listen to/watch, SACD's and one or two blu-ray audio discs...

With out the optical drive, all of that stuff is off the table for me.

• JuanR
    Options
    We are going to get a heat wave in Chicago as well, its -10C now but going to be 5C on Saturday LOL!!!
  • petede
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »

Yeah, just not there yet.

I have several Blu-Ray concerts that I like to listen to/watch, SACD's and one or two blu-ray audio discs...

With out the optical drive, all of that stuff is off the table for me.

Could the solution be to RIP the Disc based content to digital file - provided you can source the software program/s to perform all of the required conversions ?? When googling this there seem to be numerous options available.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Could the solution be to RIP the Disc based content to digital file - provided you can source the software program/s to perform all of the required conversions ?? When googling this there seem to be numerous options available.

I think the Blu-Rays I might be able to do that, but I'm out of luck with my SACD's.

I can't rip the SACD (DSD) layer and some of my favorite albums I own, I own on SACD...

• petede
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    I think the Blu-Rays I might be able to do that, but I'm out of luck with my SACD's.

I can't rip the SACD (DSD) layer and some of my favorite albums I own, I own on SACD...

In case you own or have access to a PS3 I found this - might be worth a try just for the hell of it:-

"To rip a SACD disc, you use your game controller to navigate to the games section of your PS3 menu, then pick "Unknown" and then "SACD-ripper". Next, you insert your SACD into the PS3's optical drive and a USB thumb drive, with enough storage space, into one of the USB ports."
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    In case you own or have access to a PS3 I found this - might be worth a try just for the hell of it:-

"To rip a SACD disc, you use your game controller to navigate to the games section of your PS3 menu, then pick "Unknown" and then "SACD-ripper". Next, you insert your SACD into the PS3's optical drive and a USB thumb drive, with enough storage space, into one of the USB ports."

Have to own one of the FIRST production PS3's and you would have to have not updated it, at all.

Sony shut that down, quick.

• JuanR
    Options
    I own an original PS3 with probably less than 5 hours on it....just haven't used it...
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    I own an original PS3 with probably less than 5 hours on it....just haven't used it...

Does yours play SACD's?

If it does and you have not updated the software at all, it might be capable of ripping SACD's still.

Shortly after the fist production run of PS3's, Sony stripped the ability to play SACD and released software updates to stop early units from ripping them.
  • JuanR
    Options
    Yes, mine plays SACD's I don't recall ever doing the update - but not 100% sure. One of these days i'll plug it in and see.. do you know what the original version of the software was?