My New Speakers!

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Firstly happy bday Cathy. Congrats on the speakers. That's amazing that it all worked out for you. Even more so that thus far you are enjoying them and they have not even been broken in yet.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Congrats. Beautiful, great sounding speakers (based on the limited time I was able to listen to them). Enjoy!
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Happy belated bday Cathy and congratulations on the new speakers! They look great! I concur that they look better with the grills off. Enjoy the music & the movies (especially with the SVS in the mix...you are SET!) :smile:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Just listened to these today.
    I left thinking they were very listenable. Decent bass, fairly smooth, treble was not sizzly like the Rti series.

I think I would compare it to be somewhere between the sound of the old vintage polks, and the Rti sound, without the boosted treble of the Rti.

A very decent all around speaker. I think it beats the Similar Pioneer models.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Congrats! Grills off.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Willow wrote: »
    Firstly happy bday Cathy. Congrats on the speakers. That's amazing that it all worked out for you. Even more so that thus far you are enjoying them and they have not even been broken in yet.

Thank you JF! It worked out just great, for me it was a risk getting them without hearing them, it's the first time I have done that, but I trust both Russ's & Skip's ears so took a chance.

I firmly believe that you shouldn't leave the store with speakers you don't like the sound of in the hopes they will be great after broken in.

halo wrote: »
    Happy belated bday Cathy and congratulations on the new speakers! They look great! I concur that they look better with the grills off. Enjoy the music & the movies (especially with the SVS in the mix...you are SET!) :smile:

Thanks Halo! LOL, I knew you guys would like seeing my speakers w/o the grills, I like them without too, but I would hate to see dust on them so the grills stay on. :)

Yes I believe I am all set as far as speakers go, but you never know. ;) If Polk made a 3 way Signature center channel that could match my Boston VR920 I would be all over it!
    K_M wrote: »
    Just listened to these today.
    I left thinking they were very listenable. Decent bass, fairly smooth, treble was not sizzly like the Rti series.

I think I would compare it to be somewhere between the sound of the old vintage polks, and the Rti sound, without the boosted treble of the Rti.

A very decent all around speaker. I think it beats the Similar Pioneer models.

Thank you Kelly! My biggest fear was the tweeter would be too hot, but it is wonderful. I'm picking up some details that I hadn't heard before, and I didn't think that was possible.

Naturally there is more bass than my RTA-8Ts but then naturally they are much larger with an extra driver.

In my estimation, it is a excellent all round speaker for people who just have one system to work with.

I'm still working on 2 channel music, but soon I'm going to check them out with DVD concerts and movies!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Congratulations Cathy! The system & speakers look great!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Very nice, enjoy!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Congrats on your new Polks Cathy, they look great in your system. Glad they are meeting your expectations and then some, enjoy!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    cfrizz wrote: »

Thanks Halo! LOL, I knew you guys would like seeing my speakers w/o the grills, I like them without too, but I would hate to see dust on them so the grills stay on. :)

A damp sponge every week or two works wonders. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Having it grill less looks awesome. Best looking speakers grill less.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I believe I'm going to keep my Boston VR920 center channel, size does matter when it comes to CC, and I'm not willing to give up the full 3 way sound that it gives me.
    I guess, like everything else in this hobby, that's subjective. I have the 3-way Energy RC-LCR and the Dynaudio Excite X24 and, to me, the physically smaller X24 sounds amazing. Not that the 3-way Energy speakers aren't pretty bad a$$ in their own way but I don't feel I'm losing anything here with a smaller 2-way speaker. Different designs, different materials, different crossovers, different cabinets, different companies, different results. No right or wrong answer, go with what sounds best to you!

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Not sure how I missed this thread...congrats on the new speakers!!

They look great..
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Nothing beats that new-speaker smell:-) very nice system you have there...!
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Congratulations!! Bet they sound as good as they look.
  • VoodooGTS
    VoodooGTS Posts: 62
    edited February 2017
    @cfrizz do you think with the S60 that you own has more than enough bass to replace your current stand alone ones? Then again you can never have to much bass. :p

I ask this cause because my space is limited. With floor standing speakers plus a stand alone sub may be a bit crammed in my situation. How does the S60 stake up against one of your subs? Better or less?

Thanks and awesome setup once again.
    Post edited by VoodooGTS on
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I think the base of the S60's is more than adequate. Why would Polk release a speaker that tipped over? The warranty claims on broken stuff would bankrupt them.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Exactly. Plus if the base isn't solid then the overall sound is hollow.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    edited February 2017
    9n6b908chg0a.jpg

I've seen a lot of different acoustic wall treatments, but I think I've found my new favorite - never thought of using a wine rack, but talk about dual purpose...;-)
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• la2vegas wrote: »
    Perhaps @VoodooGTS meant to use bass rather than base. Although I wonder what fish have to do with speakers.

Correct, I meant to say the bass. I wanted to know if the s60 had a good enough bass to replace a stand alone subwoofer.

Thanks.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    VoodooGTS wrote: »
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Perhaps @VoodooGTS meant to use bass rather than base. Although I wonder what fish have to do with speakers.

Correct, I meant to say the bass. I wanted to know if the s60 had a good enough bass to replace a stand alone subwoofer.

Thanks.

No, they don't....unless your subwoofer is along the lines of a PSW10, then maybe yes. They won't replace say an SVS or HSU, Velo.....or even Polks better subs.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Nothing beats that new-speaker smell:-)

That's her perfume, she's been wearing it for 27 years. ;)

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    VoodooGTS wrote: »
    @cfrizz do you think with the S60 that you own has more than enough bass to replace your current stand alone ones? Then again you can never have to much bass. :p

I ask this cause because my space is limited. With floor standing speakers plus a stand alone sub may be a bit crammed in my situation. How does the S60 stake up against one of your subs? Better or less?

Thanks and awesome setup once again.

Hi Voodoo thank you. I'm afraid that no the 3 drivers will not take the place of a dedicated sub. Is there more bass over my RTA-8Ts, yes.

I doubt that there are very many "full range" speakers that can really dig deep. What I have discovered is that when speakers are trying to produce the full range, what happens is that it is struggling to play the really low notes which in turn makes the mid bass dull/muddy.

As soon as you add a sub to help take the load off the speakers are able to really shine with the mid bass that they are designed to handle. The end result is much fuller sound all the way around.

I have been listening in 2 channel mode all week long with my cd's with and without my subs to make sure of what I was hearing. And what I am hearing is without the subs, the mid range and low bass notes are there but indistinct. Once I put on the subs, the clarity comes back for both and I can pick out individual notes easily. So I have kept my subs on.

It's not about better or less, it's about all the speakers including subs to bring everything together in a cohesive whole.

If you get a sealed box SVS, you won't be taking up very much room at all. My SVS is basically a 14" box all the way around. The smallest SVS SB1000 dimensions are as follows.

12” Driver
    300 watts RMS (720 watts peak) Amplifier
    24-260 Hz ±3dB Freq. Response
    13.5" (H) 13" (W) 14" (D) Dimensions
    27lbs Weight

Hope this helps.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Very nice setup, Ms. Cfrizz ! I'd have to throw a vote in for grills off also, but I could live with them on. :D

Did I mention nice setup ?
    Sal Palooza
  • cfrizz
    DSkip wrote: »
    Very nice setup, Ms. Cfrizz ! I'd have to throw a vote in for grills off also, but I could live with them on. :D

Did I mention nice setup ?

But, but, but....

e26f069782a15cd74e78445c6ec3f343-500x424.jpg

Thank you BBL. :)

AAACHOO, AAACHOO, AAACHOO. Get that crap off my speakers, it makes them look dull and irritates my nose!
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Wow! I love your setup. I'm glad the new speakers sound as badass as they look. Also, enjoyed your review in the other thread, Cathy. I completely do NOT need any more speakers, but... :#

g82illm8twuz.jpg
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Cathy,
    Nice setup you have there. I too enjoyed your review.

come on Friday...... Just pray UPS does not damage them.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • cfrizz
    Wow! I love your setup. I'm glad the new speakers sound as badass as they look. Also, enjoyed your review in the other thread, Cathy. I completely do NOT need any more speakers, but... :#

g82illm8twuz.jpg

Thank you very much BMDP, I appreciate it. Now come on, you're a guy, you ALWAYS want more speakers! :D