Help Me pick my first pair of Polk Speakers!

Options
Well after a ton of research, I've narrowed it down to three speakers that I want. I actually made it out to best buy and heard the Sig 55s, and I instantly loved them, but unfortunately I couldn't compare them to any other polk speakers, and the music selection they had was very slim. Anywho... I need your opinions! My most important question is How do they sound compared to other Polk speakers? I want the best bang for my buck at around 6-700.

Option A: Polk Monitor 70ii + Sub

Option B: Polk Tsx440t + Sub + Center

Option C: Polk S55 + Sub OR the Bookies(S20 or whichever one was on display)

All will be powered by a Denon x2000 for now. I would order all 3 pairs from crutchfield, but since they are considered large tower speakers, I'm not sure if they're subject to the "Freight fee" of 50$ or just the restock fee of 10$.

Best Answer

• dalylaleahthor
    dalylaleahthor Posts: 322
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I listened to the s55 at BB. I was amazed at what I heard and know it would simply sound more amazing should it be hooked up to a proper receiver. I have the a9 and prefer the sound of the s55 over them any day of the week.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.

Answers

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    What is your listening preference? Mostly movies, or mostly music? IMHO, a sub/sat system is fine for movies, but not my ideal for music. Do you listen loud? With an AVR as your main power source, a sub/sat becomes a better option, as you free your AVR from having to dump its limited resources into bass production.

Instead of paying top dollar to crutchfield, spend some time on your local CL or EBay, and see if you can score a good pair of vintage rowers - the Monitors are a great value, and seem to be readily available.

Just my 2 cents...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    The Signature towers should play decently with your AVR. You can always upgrade later. They're also rather attractive speakers, IMO.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Of the 3 choices, I would lean towards the S55's. Simply the best sounding speaker of the 3.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Of the 3 choices, I would lean towards the S55's. Simply the best sounding speaker of the 3.

ditto...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BadLuckBryce
    BadLuckBryce Posts: 3
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Awesome! Will be picking up a pair along with the S35 later this week. Super excited! Thank you all for your help and insight!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Excellent, you are in for a treat enjoy and Welcome to Club Polk!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    Let us know what you think of them. I'm thinking you're going to find them very good for the price.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.
  • BadLuckBryce
    Options
    I plan to! Bought today, pickup at BB on the 9th. Also spoiled myself with the S35 B) . I'll spend a day or two testing a bunch of different music and movies, and then create a youtube video since there aren't hardly any for the series!