Blew the Grill OFF

Options
Hello,

Well I had an interesting afternoon.

A few weeks ago I had a demo of some Def Tech Atmos setup and the wonderful presenter demoed a scene from Game of Thrones, Battle for Black Water when they shoot the flaming arrow into the fire water and all the ships blow up.

I get around to finding it today on my blu-ray which is only DTS-HD. I played the scene @ -15db and yeah good house is starting to shake. Replay @ -10db and oh man that was great. So go for the gusto and hit it up to 0db. House shook nick nacks fell off the mantel and then the grill came off one of my in ceiling TC80i. SWEEEEEEET!

So I got the grill back on a little dab of superglue too. I went and checked my speaker setup and Audyssey had the crossover set @ 40hz on these. oops thought I forgot to change something. so I set the crossover to front and center 60hz, front high and surround to 80hz.

Replayed the demo @ 0DB. Oh man so sweet and the grills stayed on.
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Careful dude. That type of testing can get expensive. Fast. LOL

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    Options
    Ill never forget when I had my Super Tower HT setup with the modded VMPS Larger (TC Sound PR) - we put on Avatar where they blow up the tree...

To this day, I can not recall a more... uncomfortable reproduction of sound.

Fun times! Thank you for sharing your experience
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    I blew a clock off the wall when I first got my SVS...
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Dang...I thought I listen loud, but I have not rattled anything anywhere, with either system.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

Most of the time I have it at around -20 db, very rare do I go to 0db, but this was a fun minute to have it up there for testing. Don't think I could sit through a movie that loud... Now if I could just knock off the oil painting my wife has above the fireplace...
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »

I remember the story of that night Mr.83 :)

ok I am missing something, hope it didn't cost you too much.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Geez remind me not to buy your second hand gear @mrloren
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mrloren
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Geez remind me not to buy your second hand gear @mrloren

I never play loud enough to clip my speakers.

Think I had my Sony ES to 0db maybe 6 times and never for more than a minute.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »

One night I decided to find out how loud the speakers could play so I gradually increased the volume. My thinking was I would back down once it clipped, or showed some other sign of trouble. So, as it slowly increased I am sitting here thinking how can these speakers play so loud and still sound so good. At the volume setting of 83 I am literally being pounded by the SPL. It was just hitting me all over. I was just ready to back off when the system went quiet. Turns out 83 is the max setting on the pre, while I was thinking it would be 100, as in 0-100. Who ever heard of a 0-83 setting. LOL

Anyway, by the time all the damage was resolved it was three trips to Magico, two mid-range drivers, a tweeter, and a broken cross-over. Not counting the gas and lunches for my friend who helped me, it was $2400 for three drivers. The x-over was fixed for free.

For the last two years now they sound excellent, and I have gone no where near max volume. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options

Most of the time I have it at around -20 db, very rare do I go to 0db, but this was a fun minute to have it up there for testing. Don't think I could sit through a movie that loud... Now if I could just knock off the oil painting my wife has above the fireplace...

That cracks me up!!! My wife came home with a real big oil painting and asked me where's the best place to hang it in our house. I told her the garage. She was not smiling! :#
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I had the music cranked up and really enjoying the jams, wife came in fussing
    ...I handed her the broom and told her to fly away

...didn't go over to well :#
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mrloren
    Options

One night I decided to find out how loud the speakers could play so I gradually increased the volume. My thinking was I would back down once it clipped, or showed some other sign of trouble. So, as it slowly increased I am sitting here thinking how can these speakers play so loud and still sound so good. At the volume setting of 83 I am literally being pounded by the SPL. It was just hitting me all over. I was just ready to back off when the system went quiet. Turns out 83 is the max setting on the pre, while I was thinking it would be 100, as in 0-100. Who ever heard of a 0-83 setting. LOL

Anyway, by the time all the damage was resolved it was three trips to Magico, two mid-range drivers, a tweeter, and a broken cross-over. Not counting the gas and lunches for my friend who helped me, it was $2400 for three drivers. The x-over was fixed for free.

For the last two years now they sound excellent, and I have gone no where near max volume. :)

Gee, that just sucks.

I never turn anything to 100% any more. It cost me 6 months of paper route money and got a good wiping from my dad.

Short story;

I had saved 6 months to buy a set of 15" Cerwin Vega's (yeah dumb kid) Got this big old Sansui receiver for cheap at the swap meet. One day a few friends and I were blasting it full, had the knob all the way right. All the sudden the needle started skipping and we heard glass break, then no more bass... Woofers separated from the magnets. window in my room broke out. I like to think it was the stereo in my little room that blasted it out but I think the neighbor tossed a rock to it. Never again have I pushed a system to 100%. Never again did I buy Cerwin Vega.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    One night I decided to find out how loud the speakers could play so I gradually increased the volume.......
    Dude, I would have just hit LOL, but because I actually did LOL, I had to reply! This is what happens on one of those Friday nights...
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Yes, it was funny. In hindsight. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.