Thinking of ditching the home theater.

Options

Comments

• StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    edited February 2017
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    ^This. Does it really have to be either or? I'd rather have it and not need it/use it, rather than you go get a bigger tv somewhere down the line and the HT bug hits and you then have to purchase new gear all over again.

^ ^ ^ THIS.

Movie/TV watching tends to go in cycles...and you never know when something like The Martian or The Expanse is going to come along and fire you up! Not only that, I've really enjoyed immersive sound (Atmos/DTS-X) since my AVR upgrade last year.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Ok guys, thanks for the comments, it has helped me in my decision. My final decision is... keeping my marantz 7702, picking up a marantz 7705 (used) 5 channel amp. Selling one sub, and both sets of lsifx. Going to pocket the money, run 2.1 for a while and when I get the urge, I will upgrade my rear speakers to match my front stage (focal).
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Still think you need a tubed pre in the mix . ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Still think you need a tubed pre in the mix . ;)

Lol, I don't want to add money to something not being used. I have a tubed pre in my 2 channel rig in the basement. There's a lot of tubiness going on down there.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    Options
    Gotcha man, thought for a second you were going to cut back and combine both. Either way....rock it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    I have dedicated room in my basement, fully treated, im a die hard 2 channel freak. Lol! I think downsizing the theater but keeping it ready for 5.1 will do just fine.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The arms race in home theater has long been a turn off to me, Luddite that I am.
    What are they up to now, like 12.1?
    Makes me think of Steve Martin's Googlephonics.

https://youtu.be/Cjjsz14hL48
    (Martin's shtick contains a naughty word)

"the highest number of speakers before infinity"

11566563734_a6fc199af2_b.jpgscan0002 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • tonyb
    Options
    LOL Mark, I think it's up to 14.4, who knows, anything to sell more gear. I have to chuckle a bit too when I see some wanting to stick a 9.2 system in a 12 by 12 room.

I like surround sound for movies, don't get me wrong, but after I watch a movie, it can be 6 months later before I want to see the same one again. Music however doesn't have that lag time for me so that's where I choose to concentrate my thoughts.

Others like watching the nightly news in surround sound, knock your socks off, that's just not me though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    LOL Mark, I think it's up to 14.4, who knows, anything to sell more gear. I have to chuckle a bit too when I see some wanting to stick a 9.2 system in a 12 by 12 room.

I like surround sound for movies, don't get me wrong, but after I watch a movie, it can be 6 months later before I want to see the same one again. Music however doesn't have that lag time for me so that's where I choose to concentrate my thoughts.

Others like watching the nightly news in surround sound, knock your socks off, that's just not me though.

You're speaking my language here. I don't think I've blasted a movie or even used the surrounds in 6 months.

I'm almost annoyed at how fast home theater tech is evolving. A fiend of mine changes receivers and speakers twice a year. It's ridiculous! The more I talk about it the more I can't make up my mind what to do.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mhardy6647
    Options
    hmmm -- this thread is fast turning the corner to "hey, you dang punk kids! get offa my lawn!" territory.

;)

PS I am OK with that; I really am a Luddite. It has something to do with having spent a career in "high tech" (including two years as part of a technology strategy group in a very large corporation with a Pfunny name).
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    Do it. When I moved to FL I ditched 7.1 and just use a soundbar with a sub. If I want to care about sound I listen to music on the 2-channel.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • tonyb
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

You're speaking my language here. I don't think I've blasted a movie or even used the surrounds in 6 months.

I'm almost annoyed at how fast home theater tech is evolving. A fiend of mine changes receivers and speakers twice a year. It's ridiculous! The more I talk about it the more I can't make up my mind what to do.

Twice a year....that's a bit OCD huh. lol Look man, we all have different needs, you decide....but if you can't quite divorce yourself from HT, combine the 2, use the best speakers you have and gear and sell the rest. Easy peasy really, you certainly have enough gear between the 2 to do a combined system.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I don't use my HT as much as I used to, but still love it. In fact, the HT around 2007 is what got me back into listening to music. I love well done sound in a movie. I recently rebought the Revenant in UHD, and one reason why is because the sound is great. Can't wait to watch it again, and listen to the wind in the trees, among other sounds, while looking at a 4K UHD picture. As I mentioned earlier, it was buying the 75" TV that reignited my HT interest.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    nspindel wrote: »
    Do it. When I moved to FL I ditched 7.1 and just use a soundbar with a sub. If I want to care about sound I listen to music on the 2-channel.

^^^^Yup, same thing I did (exception of moving to Florida)...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    Options
    I think I am the opposite. I hardly ever get to just listen to music anymore, but do get to watch some movies with the family!
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    I think it's up to 14.4, who knows, anything to sell more gear.
    Kind of like this!
    https://youtu.be/dHMrESf5vOs
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It's true that technology evolves to sell more gear. Plus, everyone has their own wants, needs, and opinions. Yes, it makes sense for the mostly music lover to go with a 2 channel system single system. However, I think its biased to single out home theater technology as obsession and unnecessary. The current trend of Dolby Atmos with speakers in the ceiling or firing up. IMO, those that "go all out" for home theater are no different than the typical "all out" computer gamer. Have you seen their rigs and how much they pay for them and how often they upgrade! Well, what about the "all out" high-end 2 channel audiophile? They roll gear in and out of their rig as often as any gamer, HT person, etc. Obsessiveness exists everywhere! Yes, 7-12 speakers in a home are excessive no different than two large horn, line array, full range, etc. speakers powered by expensive class A amps, tube preamps, room treatments, expensive wire, etc. The addiction is the same....It's just the form is different.

Choose your addiction!

Onkyo-Dolby-Atmos.jpg

six-monitor-setup-two-rows-of-three-stacked.jpg?w=800&h=600

9_14.jpg

b8f85c6a12528abacf4f898c626b0c89.jpg

12530922_1742207102659171_1409939979_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTIxMzM1MjcwNTkxOTAzODEwNg%3D%3D.2

room.jpg
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • tonyb
    Options
    LOL....Agreed. Different strokes and all. When one moves from one obsession to another though, it's hard to divorce one's self from the previous obsession completely. There's solutions for that too is all I'm sayin'.

Love those big horns btw. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WLDock
    edited February 2017
    Options
    LOL....Agreed. Different strokes and all......Love those big horns btw. :)
    Yes, those horns are interesting. At shows I really like jazz and classical on them. I plan to listen to more of them this year at AXPONA. Hopefully a FULL day or two this year. In a fantasy world it would be nice to have two dedicated music rooms. One with conventional speakers and one with horns, open back, etc. Or a room large enough for both to roll back and forth.

I'm trying to figure out my own addictive needs. The HT is in the family room but a 2nd 2 channel system in the living room is just not going to happen anytime soon. So, it looks like one system is it for awhile. So, it looks like my focus is going to change. The BIG full range, open back mid, with ribbon tweeters hopefully will be added this year. Building a matching center channel is not high priority due to time and cost. Plus, I've been wanting to try a tube preamp. It looks I might be headed in the same music focused direction! Plus, I can play with room treatments in the family room. Not so much in the living room...The Mrs. Is not having it!

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • tonyb
    Options
    I hear ya man, we all have our obstacles to overcome. Horns though, on classical, jazz, orchestra....to die for when done right. Plus a friggin' work of art to look at too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    even ugly horns can sound good -- just want to add that.

I should also mention that Gary Kaufman either has or will someday go to an all Altec (Voice of the Theater) HT system at his house :) He has A8s for his side/rear channels and whatnot.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think the biggest problem for most of us is it is hard to justify or go all out on both ht and 2ch... So we pick our poison and most of the time it is 2ch.

But go to a different group of people and it's the opposite.

I would hazard to say that if none had a budget restriction or space restriction, it would likely be both.

That's where I stand, 2ch first. Leftovers for ht.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • tonyb
    Options
    Mikey will pick his own poison, I just get the sense he's not 100% on divorcing the HT yet....and he shouldn't imho. Downsize it, combine it, either way.....you can always make that judgement down the line if you want to totally eliminate it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WLDock
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I think think I think would hazard to say that if none had a budget restriction or space restriction, it would likely be both.
    Joey, what about the fella with the crazy expensive Rockport theater? Do you think that is a dual system....Or maybe with that kind of money they will have a crazy 2 channel room also? The music/theater compromise for the wealthy! Damn!
    http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?7501-Seaton-Submersives-amp-Rockport-Arrakis-amp-Mira-Grands

382422_10151073670369208_369150600_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=4952246236c6ba00ba06d593060e5e85&oe=59412EEE
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Now that my kids are getting older, we are watching more and more movies. I use my HT at least once a week for movies. Honestly, the SVS really contributes to that. Makes the whole experience better. (obviously)

Use it for workout videos also. Extra motivation with a full size trainer yelling at me..LOL.

Also I watch a decent amount of sports on it and prefer the surround as opposed to the stereo setting.

So basically, I'm just hitting my HT stride. That said, it is a pretty budget system and I would rather stick extra $$ into my 2-channel system.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If I was only watching TV/Movies on my setup I'd sell all the surround sound stuff I have. For games though, it's key. Like to be playing a first person shooter, just for instance, with 5.1 you can hear that someone is behind you and to your left, turn around, shoot them. With 2 channel you can hear someone is somewhere vaguely to your left, start frantically looking all over the place, didn't find them fast enough, you're dead.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »

My HT has hand me downs from the two channel system as it gets upgrades. Throw in some new HT gear to complement the previous two channel gear, and it becomes a very nice spare stereo, along with being a nice HT.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Music it first for me but I have a dual system. And I love the HT system. I can understand if you're not really into it or just throw up a 5.1 system and eventually get tired of it. But many really enjoy the movie/theater experience and when you really spend the time and set-up a nice system for HT it can transform the whole experience. I don't care if I ever go to the movie theater again. Hell, my wife is picking out movies now and telling me it's movie night on the weekend which she never used to do. She even wants the surround system on when we're watching football, college basketball or hockey. She told me last week it's better than going to the game!

Looks like you made a decision. It's difficult since you already spent the money and would probably lose some selling the equipment. Good luck with the ring and starting a family!!! Exciting times!!!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    Options
    I find both my HT & 2 channel to be quite enjoyable. I can't see myself ditching one over the other. Both formats get quite a workout & are enjoyed on a daily basis.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • tonyb
    Options
    I find both my HT & 2 channel to be quite enjoyable. I can't see myself ditching one over the other. Both formats get quite a workout & are enjoyed on a daily basis.

Dang Phil...all this happiness and sunshine, can't you be grumpy about somethin', like the rest of us ? :)

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's