Thinking of ditching the home theater.

Options
mikeyb128
mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
edited January 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
I just don't use it anymore, I'm spending more and more time in my basement listening to music. I can't remember the last time I cranked a movie. Going to sell:
2 pairs of lsifx
2 PB ultras
Marantz 7702
Sunfire tga 7401 ( already spoken for)
Going to keep:
Focal arias
Panamax conditioner
Marantz ud player
The plan is to do a 2.1 system with a nice integrated and a downsized sub, may buy a friend's rhythmic fv15hp.

Put the cash in my pocket, fund my 2 channel and car hobby. Keep it simple, but can still crank it when I want.

Advice? Opinions?
2 channel:
Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
Theater:
Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Comments

• mikeyb128
    Options
    I have a major woody for an mf integrated or marantz. Sorry if this is poorly written, typing from an iPhone while on lunch.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    I would probably keep one of the SVS, instead of buying the Rythmik. Both build quality subs, just thinks that,s a lateral move.
  • mikeyb128
    edited January 2017
    Options
    good call, Pretty sure one pb will be staying though. Only makes sense. Up here I could sell one pb and buy the rhythmic and make a bit of cash. We will see.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    I would be up for the Sunfire if your other party does not
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    I'd keep both subs personally to help with nulls, or run each speaker full range and run RCA's into the amps so you can use the internal crossovers to lighten the load on the speakers.....

PS whoever called dibs on the sunfire is a SMART ONE....

and PPS, the 7702... is it a MKII or MKI? It may not matter as IIRC your north of the border and shipping to and from is a PAIN lol...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    I will be putting up the lsifx here, as well as the marantz. I have 2 people in line for the sunfire.
    I'm open to trades for a nice integrated capable of hooking up to a sub.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    Options
    I'd keep both subs personally to help with nulls, or run each speaker full range and run RCA's into the amps so you can use the internal crossovers to lighten the load on the speakers.....

and PPS, the 7702... is it a MKII or MKI? It may not matter as IIRC your north of the border and shipping to and from is a PAIN lol...

7702 is a mk1. With 2 years remaining warranty. I ship to the us all the time without any troubles.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• honestaquarian
    Options
    Why not just keep the Sunfire?
    Doesn't it make the Focals sing?
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    I'm downsizing. No point in keeping a 7 channel amp to run 2 speakers.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    I did the same thing about 8-9 years ago and never looked back. Love 2 channel, don't miss the ht at all. A good set of SDAs are excellent performing double duty if you still want to play your tv/video stuff through your two channel system. Know plenty of people who do that and neither they nor I feel that they are missing much with just the SDAs.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I was sort of in a similar mood, but I bought a 75" TV instead. Now I am back in HT mode, but still timeshare Friday and Saturday night with the two channel system.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    I did the same thing about 8-9 years ago and never looked back. Love 2 channel, don't miss the ht at all. A good set of SDAs are excellent performing double duty if you still want to play your tv/video stuff through your two channel system. Know plenty of people who do that and neither they nor I feel that they are missing much with just the SDAs.

Most of the time my girl friend is using it, streaming tv and movies in only 2 channel mode anyway. I literally never use it.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I was in the same boat Mikey, the HT portion never gets used anymore. I still keep it for sheets and giggles for when Hollywood can make a movie again. My issue is one system for both so I keep a cheaper avr around for movies but now can have the 2 channel separate within the same system. We just rarely watch dvd's or Blu-rays anymore but spend way more time with music.

Why not just throw a tubed pre in the mix, that way your just using the source/pre/amp/speakers in your living room setup. When you want to watch a movie just change inputs on the pre coming from the receiver and away you go.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I couldn't do it we don't use the HT but once or twice a week but boy those once or twice a week is worth the wait better than the movie theater. I do use the 2 channel daily. I hope your not going to regret it down the road. Good luck selling all your gear.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,059
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I was sort of in a similar mood, but I bought a 75" TV instead. Now I am back in HT mode, but still timeshare Friday and Saturday night with the two channel system.

My situation exactly. We've watched about 4 movies since I got the TV a couple of weeks ago and we hadn't watched a single movie in the previous 6 months or longer.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

7702 is a mk1. With 2 years remaining warranty. I ship to the us all the time without any troubles.

Hrrmmmm.... for giggles PM what your looking st price wise... I "may" be in the market soon for one of those...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    I couldn't do it we don't use the HT but once or twice a week but boy those once or twice a week is worth the wait better than the movie theater. I do use the 2 channel daily. I hope your not going to regret it down the road. Good luck selling all your gear.

^This. Does it really have to be either or? I'd rather have it and not need it/use it, rather than you go get a bigger tv somewhere down the line and the HT bug hits and you then have to purchase new gear all over again.

This is the problem of being too extreme and why I only have one system for both music and movies.

I mostly listen to music on my system, but when I want to sit down and watch a movie I enjoy it immensely and it sounds great without the distractions that come with going to a movie theater.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Being that we're in an apartment, we can't run the wires or hang the surrounds so we've been in 3.1 for the HT side of the hybrid setup when we watch TV or movies (usually Netflix, Amazon, etc.). The 2-channel setup is separate, even though the HT shares the amp for the main speakers (with HT most of the dialogue and sound is going through the center channel but the mains do their part when asked).

If we get back to a place where I can hang a set of surrounds, I will definitely do it as it's more immersive but that's just not possible right now. We enjoy the setup the way it is but I can see having the AVR driving the CC & a pair of surrounds. I have no plans to upgrade to Atmos as the HT side seems to be obsolete a year after you buy the latest and greatest AVR with all the bells & whistles.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Pb ultras... ohhhh my!

I went from a 5.1 rti system to a w.i.p 2ch with my b&w 703, Parasound 1500a amp and all new cables. I don't miss the 5.1. Mind you I still have all the gear stashed in the basement. I'm slowly changing out gear to improve the 2.1 experience.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I moth balled my HT stuff about 7-8 years ago. Recently sold the Denon and Yamaha AVR's. Still have a full set of PSB Image series towers, center and surrounds collecting dust. I started putting my efforts into 2 channel, or 2.1 to be exact, and have been far more happy with the results. Good luck, I think it's a great move.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    I've decided, to keep the towers, one sub, amp is sold, going to buy a nice integrated. Going to Cuba with some of it and I forgot to mention, I'm trying to scrounge money for a ring for my gf, so despite all the comments which I appreciate. My family I want to start is more important! I have a killer 2 channel rig anyway! Hurray!
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• EndersShadow
    Options
    More power to you bro! Get er done !
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I moth balled my HT stuff about 7-8 years ago. Recently sold the Denon and Yamaha AVR's. Still have a full set of PSB Image series towers, center and surrounds collecting dust. I started putting my efforts into 2 channel, or 2.1 to be exact, and have been far more happy with the results. Good luck, I think it's a great move.

I've been done with home theater for several years now, I haven't had a center channel in over a year.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    UnCanadien....
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan Mikey! Good for you keeping your priorities straight.

And if you ever want to go back, maybe take a more minimalist approach. I've combined my HT with the 2-channel using an integrated and an AVR. I also ditched the center channel, haven't looked back since.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    I was thinking the opposite for the next and final build and actually having a nice ht.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    I went through this recently and sold all my HT stuff and built a nice little 2 channel rig. Then naturally I got the HT bug again and went full on theater down in the basement. A projector really changed the experience for me.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    My HT and two channel are so well integrated that separating the to get better is a moot point. The Pass X1 was the missing link, and if I never found it I may have gone away from HT as well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Different strokes is all, depends on if you want to keep one system for both H/music, or just one music system.

Mine is a combined system so I don't feel like I'm missing something when that HT urge happens. Basically, a 2 channel system now with a pair of surrounds, no center, no sub, and a receiver that stays off until a movie urge happens or I want to watch a football game in surround. The receiver powers only the surrounds so in this instance, I don't need a TOTL receiver. The only things that separates my system from a dedicated 2 channel is the receiver, a pair of surrounds/BDP. All are out of the loop when 2 channel is on.

If you only want to do 2 channel, then sell off a bunch like you are, buy better 2 channel gear and pocket the rest....and enjoy the tunes.

My thoughts are based on....if your going to compromise one or the other, let it be the HT side since you don't use it that much. Put your best speakers in there, get a cheaper avr to power just the surrounds, your best 2 channel amp, maybe keep one sub, ditch the center and other sub and pre/pro. Follow ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    I also have both systems integrated. Rarely use the HT but have it when needed. I spend most of my time with the system in 2 channel.

We don't watch a lot of movies. Mostly TV and sports. And when we normally use the TV we just use the TV sound. Hard to explain why but not as aggressive while watching. Much more enjoyable. Easier for me to nap while the wife watches what she wants. :)

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables