LSiM 705 AND RTiA9s suggestions (I don't know what I'm doing)

Options
After months of research and bargain shopping, I'm slowly starting to replace my 5.1 speakers that I bought on clearance about 15 years ago.

Here's what I have so far:
Pioneer VSX 519 v (bought a few years ago to get HDMI)
One RTi A9
One CSi A4
Two LSiM 705 (I blew my whole budget on these, but the deal was amazing!)

My main question; should I find another RTi A9 and have those as my rear speakers? Or unload it and get something complimentary to the LSiM front speakers?

Planning to replace the receiver this year. Should I make it a higher priority?

I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile but I know what sounds good and bad quality sound is annoying to me.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Yes, dump the RTIA9, they would need a pretty beefy receiver to drive them and the LSIM's are an easier load for a receiver.

I would look at a better receiver anyway as that 519 is a bit below par for what you have. Pioneer SC versions or Yamaha Avantage series would work well.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    Not sure about your speaker matching, but do think you need to upgrade your receiver to better match the 705s.
    So what does your system sound like now? I'm assuming it's not good as you're looking for suggestions.
    You'll definitely need 2 speakers for the rears.

Most would suggest separate high current amplifier for your new 705s. the 519 does not support preouts so you can't just add an amplifier, you'll need to upgrade the receiver also.
    What is your budget? We can certainly help you spend your money if that is what you're looking for.

oh... and welcome to the club.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Username2
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    So far the system sounds great for music but I only have the front three speakers set up right now. The RTiA9 is still in the box.

I'll dump the A9 and look at rear speakers. I'll make a finding a new receiver a higher priority.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Username2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    So far the system sounds great for music but I only have the front three speakers set up right now. The RTiA9 is still in the box.

I'll dump the A9 and look at rear speakers. I'll make a finding a new receiver a higher priority.

Good man, be patient you'll get there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    If you're going to stick with the LSIM (which I recommend).. The first thing I would do is get rid of the CSI A4 and get the matching center for the LSIM's. (either the 4c or the 6c) You really want a matching front stage. The surrounds are not as important.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    If you think it sounds good for music now, wait until you get some real power to those 705s. You've not heard anything yet.

And don't be afraid to look at used. I picked up used Marantz and Denon components for my systems and they've worked out great.

As for surrounds, you could use some smaller book shelf speakers, cheaper and might be easer to place/hang depending on your setup. I'm using the RTiA7s for rears and side speakers, but then my room is huge.

Have fun on your journey.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    I would sell the RTI A9 and CSI A4, take those funds and put them towards a better AVR.

Next I would buy a good subwoofer, SVS, HSU, Power Sound Audio, or Rythmik.

Third on the list would be a LSIM series center channel.

Think it would be better to have the sub for movies over the center channel, although I may be in the minority.

• dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    Options
    ^^^^what he said ^^^^ Except get the center channel before the sub
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)