Any knowledge/opinions on Audio-Technica AT15Sa cartridge?

Options
mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 33,045
edited January 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
I've had one of these for years -- came on that Technics SL-1350 I have. I didn't know what model it was (since A-T cartridges, at least in the '70s, have the model number printed on top of the cartridge).

Today, I dug it out and dismounted it. Turns out it is an AT15Sa.

31771344974_b54072754b_b.jpgmysteryATcartridge2 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Google suggests :) this would have a Shibata stylus.

Anyone have one of these, or has anyone spent any quality time listening to one?

Is it worth the time of day (remember, I am a person who's generally not a fan of the A-T cartridges I've heard)?

Any particularly recommended alignment geometry?

I have zero experience with stylus shapes more exotic than elliptical, so I am out of my depth here :)

Any opinions, advice, etc. greatly appreciated & gratefully received.

Thanks!

Comments

• pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Options
    If you could send the cartridge to me, I will gladly listen to it and get back with you :smile: I did some reading up and this vintage cartridge has some excellent reviews. One review even says it is comparable to or even bests a Shure V15 Type III (my personal fave). If that is true, you have a true winner.
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,045
    edited January 2017
    Options
    well, I will clean the stylus and give it a listen; I am a little leery of the best alignment to use for such a "hyper" stylus geometry, though, I've gotta admit :neutral: