Musical Fidelity M1 DAC

Options
Hey all,

I just wanted to provide a brief review of my impressions with the MF M1DAC in my setup.

The difference was noticeable immediately. The best way for me to describe the effect is to liken this device to a pair of glasses. The Rx strength isn't strong and it doesn't need to be. What it did was take a decent sound and bring everything into focus. The instrument separation and the clarity with which those instruments are now reproduced is razor sharp. That is not to say that this M1DAC has an edge to it but, I believe, if your setup is just a tad laid back, this is the DAC you should audition. Nothing in the setup is overemphasized; it just seems to be in its proper place (if that makes any sense).

I was hesitant to add a DAC to my setup and I know, for a fact, that the essence HDACC, had a similar effect on my setup but I had a Jolida Fusion preamp in that setup paired with the Energy RC-70 speakers. The difference wasn't as apparent in that setup as it is in my current setup with the Parasound Halo P5 preamp and the Dynaudio Focus 260 speakers. I guess that my current setup is a little more revealing/accurate for lack of a better description.

I am running 2 sources into the M1DAC; SONOS Connect via an optical cable and the ELAC Discovery via a digital coax cable. Since it can handle asynchronous USB as well, I'll probably connect my laptop to it just for the heck of it.

Keep in mind that this DAC automatically upsamples whatever it's being fed to 192kHz. I don't know if that has an effect on the sound I'm hearing but I do remember that the HDACC upsampled as well. Both the HDACC & the DAC1 were vast improvements compared to not having them in the setup.

The M1DAC is big. It takes up a lot of real estate on the audio rack. The HDACC was pretty small and easy to tuck away. The HDACC had a remote to select the input & change sampling rates, etc. The M1DAC has no remote. While it's not necessary, it is an added bonus to be able to switch sources from my listening position. Finally, the HDACC ran very warm to the touch and it used a wal wort power supply whereas the M1DAC has an internal power supply.

Honestly, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either one of these if you want to hear what a difference a good DAC can make in your setup.

32594223285_b232de532c_k.jpg
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Nice review! Sounds like a solid clean dac to me. The clearer highs might be a hair less jitter vs your other? It might just do a better job of pulling out more detail. MF in general does a good job pulling detail out.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I feel a Chicago audio crawl coming on soon. Nice piece of gear, Vic. Rock on!
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Thanks for the advance warning, Russ.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    You're first on the list..... ;)
    agfrost wrote: »
    Thanks for the advance warning, Russ.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Yep like I said. It is a good dac
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I believe that this component has lowered the noise floor as well. Without increasing the volume level, the music played back through my setup is noticeably louder than it was before. The dB meter confirms that it is a few dB higher but it really sounds louder in our listening environment. So much so, I've actually turned the volume knob down and it still seems "loud." There's no added distortion or anything like that. As I said earlier, the music is more focused, cleaner, & clearer.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    That's gain, not the noise floor.
    So, gain would explain the louder volume level, but not the increased focus/clarity.
  • halo
    Options
    Perhaps it's a little of both and I'm just not as well versed?

Whatever is the correct terminology, the sound is more open, overall, and focused; it is bringing out the details associated with/as well as around each instrument and even voices, background vocals as well.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Glad your digging it. A good example of what adding a dac can do for your system. Your volume difference can be an impedance thing, noise floor, or just that the dac allows you to hear details at lower volumes so you don't have to turn up the dial.

Now for the bad part, be careful with that volume dial ! The cleaner sound entices people to turn it up to deafening levels and it becomes easier to push those limits without notice. Rock on bro
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halo
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    be careful with that volume dial !
    No worries there. I've been turning it down since I've been getting that focused sound. On the dB meter, it's registering peaks ~ 75-78 dB. At that point, in our apartment, it seems to be quite loud so I back it down until it feels like I'm getting the sound I want without adverse effects.

• Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 904
    Options
    Great DAC. I used one for years. I only changed when I moved into DSD files. The M1DAC only does PCM.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    edited February 2017
    Options
    BUMP
    Post edited by WagnerRC on
  • halo
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    if anyone is still looking.... not mine (edited)

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649333256-musical-fidelity-m1-dac/

Mine is still available for sale. But now, someone can purchase this one instead of the one I'm offering here. Thank you for your assistance. Hopefully more than one buyer is out there and both will sell.